melmer

Persona 5 - 2015 the year of the PS3 / Persona Q - 3DS

Well people were freaking out about there being a fighting game in the franchise, but that ended up turning out well right? I'm willing to see what they do with it.

Also, it's not like Persona 4 didn't have an amazing soundtrack that would be perfect for a rhythm game.

Well people were freaking out about there being a fighting game in the franchise, but that ended up turning out well right? I'm willing to see what they do with it.

I really like the idea of taking a beloved franchise and licensing it out to high-quality third-party developers or handing it over to other internal teams for adaptation. Persona 4 Arena was a success (at least critically) because Arc System Works knows how to make good, accessible fighting games and the game was very much in the spirit of the original P4.

So, if Persona Q is handled as you would expect by the Atlus team that does Etrian Odyssey and the sensibilities of the game are similar to P3/P4, I don't see why it wouldn't be a success.

I'm strangely excited for more Persona, having only watched the Giant Bomb endurance run. Is that invalid?

Same here.  I guess I'm excited that everyone is excited.

See, it's worrying to me as to why Atlus is trying so hard to make a franchise of persona 3 and 4. Sure, the character designer is the same for both of them, and the design is markedly improved from the artist who did P1 and 2. P4A is great, but now all these spin offs? A dancing game? It feels like atlus is scraping the barrel in terms of what they could do with their IP. And what looks like such a hackneyed rip of Hatsune Miku's games too (the dancing one that is).

And then it hit me - SEGA bought Atlus  It all makes sense now. SEGA's pushing this franchise, not Atlus. I'm equally disgusted and worried, as no matter how great Persona games are, they can be easily tarnished with these cheap knock-offs. It also doesn't seem like Atlus' thing to do this. Why can't Sega ruin their own IP's instead of someone else's? 

Even if P5 is made, will this mean that I'm to expect a million P5-related games too? Will there be a Persona Boom? 

Atlus has never needed any help exploiting their own IPs, especially MegaTen and all its derivatives. And all of these Persona spin-off titles would have been well into planning before Sega got involved. Besides, it's hardly bottom-of-the-barrel stuff. The Etrian Odyssey style dungeon crawl is about as core to the SMT identity as you can get.

Making a Persona 3 dancing game is brilliant because the music in Persona 3 was brilliant. It's catchy and poppy, but somehow doesn't wear out its welcome after 50+ hours. There are multiple variations on the same musical themes in different musical styles, which creates a soundscape that feels varied, but always familiar. Built on that foundation, music has become integral to the identify of the Persona franchise.

"I never felt like...so mi-ser-a-ble"

Personally I think the weirdest thing that Atlus ever did with the Persona 4 brand was the cafe they did a few years back. Check out the drinks menu:

Kz5xFrs.jpg

Kanji's is genius. It's a super dark rum-and-coke-looking deal that's actually got a super sweet fruity taste.

I hope Kanji's drink looks tough, but tastes super sugary... I'm surprised Chie's isn't just steak juice. :P

I hope Kanji's drink looks tough, but tastes super sugary... I'm surprised Chie's isn't just steak juice. :P

Kanji's is genius. It's a super dark rum-and-coke-looking deal that's actually got a super sweet fruity taste.

Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4, goodo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-Y5U8n4Ie3I

i seen a few promotional images and it seems as though they're reusing the cast from PS3 and PS4 again. Is it supposed to be like 10 years later and the little girl from PS4 is now 16 and will be the protagonist?

....i think i'm wrong about that. Are we going to play PS3 guy again? I NEED FACTS

There are another 3 or 4 Persona spinoffs coming out in the next few months which star Persona 3 and 4 characters. I think you're seeing promo stuff for that.

I've not read anything about P5 having old characters returning as a main party, although I would expect some small fan-service.

To be fair, i can't tell if the images i've seen have all be fan-service. Actually now thinking about it they must be, all we have to go on is this trailer. I got similarly hoodwinked when i was listening the the supposed Persona 5 soundtrack on youtube, it sounded so good i just assumed it was real

I've long been intrigued by Persona but never owned a platform which the games were on so I am currently going through the Persona 4 endurance run on GiantBomb and quite enjoying it. I've also got a lead on borrowing P3 portable from a friend. However, is there any requirement for playing the previous titles or is it pretty much like FF, that every entry is more or less stand-alone?

I don't think they reference 1+2 at all in any of the later games. Playing vanilla persona 3 on ps2, it felt very stand alone. Perhaps the velvet room is something that appears in all entries? But it's so mysterious, I didn't expect an explanation or felt that I was missing something

Edit, huh

Persona is one of those deals where they're each a self-contained story, but they all share thematic elements. Sort of a "There is always a lighthouse," deal, except there is always a Velvet Room.

And a Jack Frost.

uTAXg8C.png

Fun trivia: North America's first exposure to the Shin Megami Tensei series was heralded by a Virtual Boy spin-off game starring Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and Jack Ripper (Jack Skelton in NA).

GaMmZQ8.jpg

hdbs9wp.jpg

Persona 5 Trailer with gameplay scenes

OMG THIS THE YEAR OF THE PS3 INDEED!!!!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME AWWHHHHH! I NEED THIS!

Wow, that's a good trailer. Shame it's not on Vita  :getmecoat

It's also coming out on PS4. Woo! I'll actually get to play it.

Ugh! I really loved the trailer too, I got the goosebumps from the moment Igor appeared until the end. <3