Sign in to follow this  
Thrik

Video game music renditions

There are a number of Zelda threads but they're all game-specific, so what the hell let's give this a thread. Some apparently good violinist has put together an album featuring many of my favourite Zelda themes, and it's pretty damn great:

Melodies of Hyrule

But when I realised my all-time favourite Zelda theme 'Song of Storms' was featured that's the moment where I was sold:

Well, that's just really neat. I gotta say I find Taylor Davis a little more palatable than Lindsey Stirling, on account of being less all over the place with dancing and more toned down and relaxed. Also, an amazing cosplay, that always works.

OK I've just found an even more awesome album so I'm renaming the thread. Holy fuck, the London Philharmonic Orchestra (same one that did The Lord of the Rings' soundtracks) performing some of my favourite game music. Just... yes. The whole thing can be listened to on YouTube: 

The Greatest Video Game Music

Weirdly, they also covered Majesco's massive Psychonauts-era flop Advent Rising. Turns out it has a pretty nice soundtrack.

So is this thing with the fly by cameras of women playing Zelda songs along with cosplay a thing now? I really doubt they are getting Nintendo's permission to sell their fan product like this. Really hope they figure out the royalty arrangements with Nintendo before their sales take off.

Anyway, here's my disgruntled contribution:

And some more Zelda:

So is this thing with the fly by cameras of women playing Zelda songs along with cosplay a thing now? I really doubt they are getting Nintendo's permission to sell their fan product like this. Really hope they figure out the royalty arrangements with Nintendo before their sales take off.

Anyway, here's my disgruntled contribution:

And some more Zelda:

I'll happily take the girls with violins over beardos playing mediocre metal video game cover #296,488,326. :tup:

The two albums I linked to are fully licensed, etc. They're on stores like Amazon and iTunes too.

That diskette Monkey Island is ridiculous and superb.

Oh man I love violin renditions of songs I recognize. Violin is best instrument. This Taylor Davis lady has won my Today's Internet Competition.

Well, that's just really neat. I gotta say I find Taylor Davis a little more palatable than Lindsey Stirling, on account of being less all over the place with dancing and more toned down and relaxed. Also, an amazing cosplay, that always works.

Also this. Lindsey Stirling is just way too much for me. I don't really have any logical reasoning for it. I just find the way she moves in her videos really off-putting.

I really like this jazzy rendition of the music from Super Mario 2. The band playing it, Estradasphere, have got some serious chops. Listen that double bass!

I actually generally enjoy if someone does a good metal cover of a song because the arrangement is usually interesting and original. That isn't to say that I ever really bother to look up covers or that I get super stoked about metal versions of video game songs, but when I do hear someone playing something I enjoy a well done arrangement over someone just playing the song exactly as it is in the game.

If the person is mediocre I don't really care what instrument it is.

This thread is the best. Listening to the London Philharmonic ones right now!

Related, Zelda: ALBW has multiple sweet, little renditions of its themes playing in the Milk Bar. They're all pretty great:

Also this. Lindsey Stirling is just way too much for me. I don't really have any logical reasoning for it. I just find the way she moves in her videos really off-putting.

I don't know, from what I can tell she plays a mean violin, as long as the bow moves correctly, that's fine by me. Then again, personally I am not a big fan of "let's play our delicate instrument out in the rain". Different strokes and in the end it's just nice to hear some talented people do their thing. :)

I actually generally enjoy if someone does a good metal cover of a song because the arrangement is usually interesting and original.

That's interesting, I usually have the opposite reaction, since most metal renditions I stumbled over have been pretty standard translations to electric guitar peppered with double bass. I should keep my eyes open for some variations. That said, during my short fascination with Dovahkiin I stumbled over this, which you might find enjoyable. I certainly did, was very well done imo (even though the intro riff is almost straight up lifted from Dream Theater).

Also, while old, there's always this:

There's no doubt that some good metal renditions exist, I've heard some excellent ones over the years. But I'd say that overall there's a lot of mediocrity to wade through before finding the gems, to the point where it's easier to just not bother with any of them. Unless they're posted in a thread like this!

Okkusenman! There's a blast from the past. Still as enjoyable as ever. "When I eat curry and stuff" has me in stitches every time

I'm not sure if this is in the spirit of the thread since it's by the original composer, but I love the shit out of this album. Acid jazz renditions of Chrono Trigger tracks.

Did anyone go to the Zelda Symphony last year? I didn't go even though I knew a couple people in it (the bay area one is held down the street from my school so they get some people from the music department here). I think I'm going this year though.

I took my son when it came to Houston last year. He plays viola in the school orchestra and I used to play violin, so it was definitely cool to get our combined love of symphonic music and video games. :-)

OK, sweet symphonic metal rendition. The bit of the Super Mario World original that kicks in here at about 2:00 gets me every time and is definitely my all-time favourite piece of Mario music.

Man, I was listening to some more of Taylor Davies' stuff and it's almost like she's progressively working through my favourite movie themes. I'll put them in spoilers so as to not interrupt the game-focused nature of this thread. But man... this is some good shit.

The fact that such a shitty game has such great music is just the best, really.