posh_somme

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Also, sometimes in Wall Mode you can see the lengths to which they went to recreate the top-down look of LttP in 3D, by slanting/tilting the models at a weird angle. A very unusual but fun visual trick.

topside.jpg

That's a neat trick to be sure! I'm amazed at how they built the entire world that way!

I'm really on the fence. LTtP is one of my favorite games ever and I'm just dying to play this. But I am dying to play it at over a $200 price tag? There are some other 3DS games I would like to play (Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion primarily). 

I'm really on the fence. LTtP is one of my favorite games ever and I'm just dying to play this. But I am dying to play it at over a $200 price tag? There are some other 3DS games I would like to play (Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion primarily). 

I purchased a 3DS XL solely for the three games you mentioned.  I can't tell you it's a wise decision, but you certainly wouldn't be alone.

A Link Between Worlds brings back some of the joy of combat that I haven't felt since Wind Waker.  It's really easy to run around whacking everybody with the sword, but with so many items accessible and easily used, I have stunned soldiers with the most random items before going in for the kill.

The game is different enough from A Link to the Past where you might get annoyed by some of the differences, though.  The very last moment of A Link to the Past tells us that the Master Sword sleeps again...forever.  SPOILER: It doesn't.

The 3DS is just about the best console you can get at the moment. I can't recommend it enough. Even if you're only interested in three games right now, I guarantee that number's just going to multiply.

Also, a little bit sad that I went with Mario rather than Zelda seeing all the fun you guys are having. I shall endure.

Thanks! God, they make so much good use of that flat Link mechanic. Took me a while to figure out that you could use it to get those little collectable critters off the walls.

Now.. about those Mitts? Am I just completely clueless? I haven't found a single hint as to where it could be.

It has to do with the one Ravio item that is locked away from you to begin with. Recovering it is a bit of guess work with regards to which dungeon you need to complete, but once you complete that step, it shouldn't be hard to then figure out where you need to use it to get the Mitt.

Bigger hint - If you're expecting LTTP parallels, and you should, the LTTP Titan's Mitt was in the Dark World's town dungeon. The equivalent dungeon in ALBW's Lorule does not contain the Titan's Mitt, but it does put you on the right track.

I dig it so far. One thing I really like is that they weren't overly conservative with the stereoscopic depth. Having a (mostly) fixed perspective means you can get away with more, and it looks really cool.

Nintendo's seriously gotten so fucking good at making these stereoscopic games look awesome, i'm quite sad that the 2DS is now going to marginalize it.

topside.jpg

That's a neat trick to be sure! I'm amazed at how they built the entire world that way!

Perhaps the coolest part is how character and object models lean up from that angled stance to a proper standing position when the camera zooms in for the wall-merge camera, so it makes the effect relatively invisible in actual gameplay. The only noticeable exceptions are some static statues, like the ones in that screenshot, and certain other static environment objects. They cannot animate out of their weird LTTP-faithful lean, and it leaves them looking super, super weird if you catch sight of them with the wall-merge camera. The statues both north of the eastern bridge and in the field south of Link's house look crazy. (The environments themselves, however, aren't so skewed that it's noticeable.)

It's ultimately a subjective opinion, but I don't think i'm exaggerating when i say that the 3DS has been, in terms of games released, the most exciting platform this year. There have been so many phenomenal games coming out on it, particularly if you're into RPG's.

I'll throw my hat in with the 'yay-3DS' crowd. It's been my primary system for a couple of years now and for me the 4 or 5 must-owns that inevitably appear on every console are already available. Animal Crossing, 3D Land, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion (although at times I take issue with the controls) and now this make it a no-brainer, plus some great eshop games (Pull/Fallblox, VVVVVV) and VC and 3D Classics (I've played numerous retro games for the first time here thanks to portability and save states).

When you find a good deal, jump in. XL only, of course.

I'll jump in here real quick and say that Amazon has a both the red and black XLs in an upcoming Lightning Deal.  I have no idea what the price will be though.  At the time of this posting, the deal starts in 5h 38m (2:10 PM EST).

Update: The $150 deal sold out very quickly as expected.

Back on topic, I spent way too long playing the weird baseball minigame.  I couldn't get the hang of the timing and kept missing my target.  Then I read the actual rules and got the piece of heart on the next try.  Finding a baseball minigame was such a weird, random thing.  This game continues to amaze me in unexpected ways.

Ugh I'm in the same boat. While I'm not interested in a lot of the big 3DS games (sorry pokemon) there's probably enough for me to justify a purchase, but my backlog is already so long that I probably have enough games to last me another six months without me buying more in the next Steam sale (which I probably will anyway). But I want to play Mario and Zelda now! God I'm such a child....

I'll jump in here real quick and say that Amazon has a both the red and black XLs in an upcoming Lightning Deal.  I have no idea what the price will be though.  At the time of this posting, the deal starts in 5h 38m (2:10 PM EST).

Update: The $150 deal sold out very quickly as expected.

Back on topic, I spent way too long playing the weird baseball minigame.  I couldn't get the hang of the timing and kept missing my target.  Then I read the actual rules and got the piece of heart on the next try.  Finding a baseball minigame was such a weird, random thing.  This game continues to amaze me in unexpected ways.

3DS XLs are going to be 150 at target, limited edition zelda version included:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/405440850068389889

Kind of sad that I didn't wait, but also kind of happy that I won't be in a Target anytime near Black Friday. Ugh.

Do I need to go there or can I buy it online for in store pickup? Looks like they have the deal running through Saturday.....

Do I need to go there or can I buy it online for in store pickup? Looks like they have the deal running through Saturday.....

I don't actually know, I assume it's an in store while supplies last thing to get bodies shopping.

Thanks Sno for the hints! Made me realise I was just stalling and should push forward with the dungeons. I now only have one of the main dungeons left.

Am I missing something about Rosso's Ore Mine? Is it just that bit of rocks up on Death Mountain near the sign? Seems like an awful lot of trouble (navigating through the maze of platforms) to get to seemingly worthless rocks (except for the few shiny ones).

The renting is cool but it does seem like you can't actually do the dungeons in any order? Is this correct?

You have to finish a dungeon to get the Sand Rod, allowing you access to the Desert dungeon. I'm probably wrong and there is some super smart Wall Link way to get to that Desert dungeon..

Am I missing something about Rosso's Ore Mine? Is it just that bit of rocks up on Death Mountain near the sign? Seems like an awful lot of trouble (navigating through the maze of platforms) to get to seemingly worthless rocks (except for the few shiny ones).

There's a heart piece in the vast lava cavern and wasn't that also where you have to save the guy who wants some milk? I haven't seen anything else particularly distinct about that stretch of the mountain though, for having such a huge trail of signs leading you through there, there doesn't seem to be much at the end of the trail. I think it's more about there being a portal down there that might be the only way to one of the Lorule dungeons? I'm not sure, it's actually the only one i haven't done yet.

The renting is cool but it does seem like you can't actually do the dungeons in any order? Is this correct?

You have to finish a dungeon to get the Sand Rod, allowing you access to the Desert dungeon. I'm probably wrong and there is some super smart Wall Link way to get to that Desert dungeon..

This is what i was trying to hint at without explicitly spoiling. You need to do the Thieves dungeon to save Osfala so you can get the Sand Rod, thus opening up the Desert dungeon and access to the Titan's Mitt, which in turn opens up the last of the environment gating in the game.

3DS XLs are going to be 150 at target, limited edition zelda version included:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/405440850068389889

Kind of sad that I didn't wait, but also kind of happy that I won't be in a Target anytime near Black Friday. Ugh.

Man, that would go great with my gold Zelda DS, which I also got during a Black Friday sale.  Too bad.

I'm kind of upset that Turtle Rock was moved, but this is offset by the fact that Turtle Rock is more... turtlely now.

I'm currently stuck on that. It's weird, I managed to get to a floor, switch a lever to move a big floor panel. But then, stumped on how to move on I ended up jumping down a level and now I just can't remember how I ever got back up again.. :(

Not expecting anyone to be able to help going from that info, just venting my frustrations!

I recall the ice level from LttP, which was pretty great. Small floors and lots of 'em. Those Milk Bar renditions have really warmed me up to this game, by the way. Funny how a good soundtrack will do that.

God yes, those Milk Bar songs are amazing..

ALBW's Ice Ruins is basically the same, then, I guess. Loads of small-ish floors. I don't remember the original dungeon, but that sounds similar. It's awesome, but I wish I hadn't got stuck like that.. 

You know the game has a hint system, right? You can get some glasses that reveal hint ghosts which you pay in play coins.... I used it once, but most times just seeing where they are is a big hint.

I really dislike those "games" within the game.  Do you get anything of value for doing that chicken thing or the rupee thing or the derby or that chance game or... ?  Or, are they just for rupees?

Looks like there's a few worthwhile prizes. Me missing out on Heart Pieces because I refuse to play terrible minigames has become a Zelda tradition at this point.

Oh yeah, I'm playing this now, thanks to an early Christmas gift from SecretAsianMan! Yaaaay! Thus far I'm on my second Lorule dungeon (Skull Woods, previously did Thieves' Hideout) and really digging it. I've already bought everything except for the Fire and Ice Rods and found more than half of the Maiamais. This is a really fun game. Probably the best Zelda since Wind Waker.

I'm pretty sure most of them have heart pieces. It's terribly frustrating to breeze through the game and not being able to "complete" the game because of a stupid mini-game. Then again, I don't really need that extra heart container, I was only missing one full heart container, which is probably my record in Zelda games.

EDIT: OH GOD! I hated the baseball minigame, I did so terribly and didn't even know what I was doing! 

The Zelda series are one of the few games that I feel the need to 100%.  I've done it in every Zelda I've played thus far (with the exception of the gold Skulltulas in Orcarina).  So far I haven't had too much of an issue with the minigames in this one.  I actually kind of like the baseball one.  The trick is to hit the birds, which show up when you hit 3 pots in a row.  

The Treacherous Tower isn't a pain to do if you're not completely terrible at the game, but it makes you do the advanced course twice to upgrade your bug net and your lamp one at a time.

The other mini-games, egh.