Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Video Game of Thrones

Also, only one voice actor is needed for the whole production and that's Charles Dance. He can narrate the whole thing and act his own part. It's gonna be a story book.

Make this happen.

When I first saw this rumor I was sorta wary, but then I remembered Telltale does their own original stories within the world they license, so I got way way super egregiously excited.

So if this is real I guess this is basically what replaced King's Quest, right? Eh? Huh, huh, yeah?

Also if this is real, I'm really curious to see what kind of story they'll tell. I don't really want them to follow the story of any already-established character. MAYBE in prequel form, but I dunno. But also that's pretty much what Game of Thrones is about - the characters. If they license this property and then don't do anything that involves a good number of established characters, it's kinda pointless.

But then again maybe not. Maybe it'll be a story about how the King-Beyond-the-Wall came to be. .......Oh I really like that idea. Let's do that.

Also if this is real, I'm really curious to see what kind of story they'll tell. I don't really want them to follow the story of any already-established character. MAYBE in prequel form, but I dunno. But also that's pretty much what Game of Thrones is about - the characters. If they license this property and then don't do anything that involves a good number of established characters, it's kinda pointless.

One could say the same of the Walking Dead, though. 

The Walking Dead also very easily lends itself to creating new characters, though. Even for all its focus on character interaction, it's only about a very small number of people. Go five miles west and suddenly the stories are completely different.

A Song of Ice and Fire's characters and stories are literally spread all across the world. We're already covering five miles west and east and north and south and etc. Also, the characters are almost all important to the events happening in the world, unlike in The Walking Dead, where the characters are only important to what's happening to those characters.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

One of the nice things about A Song of Ice and Fire is that the world and history are so large. I'd love to see Telltale take on a story that takes place far in the past. Maybe follow the She-Wolves of Winterfell, who fought over who would rule the North?

The Walking Dead also very easily lends itself to creating new characters, though. Even for all its focus on character interaction, it's only about a very small number of people. Go five miles west and suddenly the stories are completely different.

A Song of Ice and Fire's characters and stories are literally spread all across the world. We're already covering five miles west and east and north and south and etc. Also, the characters are almost all important to the events happening in the world, unlike in The Walking Dead, where the characters are only important to what's happening to those characters.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd still say the setting has enough details to tell a different story while vague enough for one not to conflict with the story of the books/show, but it would be probably hardener then with the Walking Dead.

The prequel idea makes sense, since that's what they're doing with Fables and would give them more creative free-reign.

I think what everyone really wants to know is, can they out-awful this GRRM cameo?

The idea of telling the story of some original characters that takes place at the same time as the "main story" is plausible, but that concept is better suited to the The Walking Dead.  I think the best thing they could do is cover some of the backstory that constantly gets alluded to on the show (haven't read the books).  Robert's Rebellion, Aegon and the dragons, the mad king...there's a wealth of really compelling-sounding material they could depict that would be worth depicting.

UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

I'm sorry, I am just really distressed by the horrible writing in that clip. Also voice acting. Jesus. Talk about a series of well-written books meeting Video Game Fantasy Writing.

So this happened! And it's good!

Episode one of A Game of Thrones: A Telltale Whatever Title Because There Are Already Too Many Things Just Called "A Game of Thrones" is out, Iron From Ice. I really enjoyed it. I haven't really felt the same sense of complexity and tension in a TT game since the first season of the Walking Dead.

I don't really want to talk about the content too directly yet because it only came out two days ago, under the shadow of many bigger recent releases, so I imagine not too many people have finished it. Particularly since I had to necro this year old thread about it. But if anyone else has played/is playing it, I'd be very interested to hear your impressions because there have definitely been some up and down moments in recent TT games and I can't help but feel like this might be a return to form.

So this happened! And it's good!

So I haven't kept up with this at all. Glad to hear it's good, but I'm curious about some stuff. How much GoT knowledge is required to play this game? I'm secretly hoping it's kind of like a Tell Tale version of Crusader Kings II in that it's about medieval-esque political intrigue, but I'm not interested if I have to know specific lore of that world to get a similar narrative impact that I got in Walking Dead.

Hmm. The themes are probably somewhat universal, but it certainly does trade on characters and situations from the books and show. I would say it's likely playable and enjoyable without foreknowledge, but you will be missing some context.

Also, if you ever have any intention of reading/watching, the game spoils stuff pretty fast, as it's set a few seasons/books in.

Yeah. I don't think this game will be as fun if you haven't seen the first three seasons of GoT. 

I really enjoyed the first episode. I blasted through it in one sitting and wanted more when it was over. I love the GoT books and television show though, so take that for what it's worth. 

House Forrester may be my favorite house. 

So I haven't kept up with this at all. Glad to hear it's good, but I'm curious about some stuff. How much GoT knowledge is required to play this game? I'm secretly hoping it's kind of like a Tell Tale version of Crusader Kings II in that it's about medieval-esque political intrigue, but I'm not interested if I have to know specific lore of that world to get a similar narrative impact that I got in Walking Dead.

It was talked about extensively both on Daft Souls and in the Rock Paper Shotgun review, both of which said that the plot would border on nonsensical for someone who hasn't at least watched through the third season of the show. If phrases like "the Red Wedding" and "Ramsay Bolton" don't mean anything to you in and of themselves, you're going to be making a lot of decision without any context but with dire consequences.

Honestly, I almost like the idea of a game using the show on which it's based to handle all the heavy lifting in terms of exposition, but I can totally understand it being annoying to want to play a game and to be told instead that you need to watch some TV first. I'll probably bite sooner or later, especially if the game turns out to be a dialogue-based political relationships simulator in a neo-medieval setting. It's my dream game, as a medieval historian, to have a player steer the fortunes of a noble family by talking to the right people and not pissing anyone off (or by pissing off the right people, or by being confusing or pathetic, etc).

Couple questions: is the license from the show or the books? Does it follow an established storyline, or carve out its own space?

Couple questions: is the license from the show or the books? Does it follow an established storyline, or carve out its own space?

Looks like show, but might be far enough removed to be both? (I haven't read the books, sorry)

It's an exploration of a minor background family (The Forresters).

If you're not already invested in the universe, I'd suggest staying away from the game to be honest (this opinion subject to change with later episodes). It's not a stellar standalone right now, it's adequate and worth playing eventually with that upfront investment though.

The font treatment, intro sequence and character likenesses are straight from the show, as are some of the actors. However, House Forrester is only mentioned in the books, not the show. It is also currently set at a time during which the books and show had not diverged a great deal. From here on in, I suspect it will be partly forging its own path.

I'll probably bite sooner or later, especially if the game turns out to be a dialogue-based political relationships simulator in a neo-medieval setting. It's my dream game, as a medieval historian, to have a player steer the fortunes of a noble family by talking to the right people and not pissing anyone off (or by pissing off the right people, or by being confusing or pathetic, etc).

So far it seems to be pretty much that, although I'm sure a lot of the bad stuff will happen despite what you did or didn't do, it will just be a different way to get there.

Episode 1 ending spoiler:

Really bold move to kill off a playable character so quickly. That really took me by surprise, although shouldn't be surprising in a game of thrones, in hindsight.