Jake

Idle Thumbs 133: Johann's Baton

Idle Thumbs 133:

462__header.jpg

Johann's Baton

The next generation is here and seems pretty similar, but way sweatier. Nick sweatily plays NBA 2K14, Jake sweatily attends the NYU Practice game design conference, Chris sweatily probes the beginning of the new XCOM expansion, and Steve "Hot Scoops" Gaynor sits in the guest seat, sweating profusely.

Games Discussed: NBA 2K14 (PS4), Killzone Shadow Fall, XCOM: Enemy Within, Crusader Kings II, Pause Ahead, Untitled Pong-Style Game, Risk Of Rain

what if OSX is actually the Mega Man X style spinoff and the next one is called OS 10

We've got the tears and now the sweat - you guys just need to work blood into your podcast and you'll have really given it your all.

Edit - Oh wait Chris had that story about the nosebleed guy! OH MAN congrats Idle Thumbs 133, you did it!

Also I should listen to this episode now rather than marvel at the theme of the description.

This episode had one of the most catastrophic downward-spiral endings in a while, and I loved it.

I got so confused this episode between Nick and Steve. For a while there I thought Steve got a PS4 and was suddenly into NBA.

I'm confused as to which one of you two you are because your avatars look the same. For a moment there I thought Ronk was talking about smearing models in vaseline.

can anyone link to the spelunky racing streams that were mentioned? I listened yesterday but forgot the URLs

This morning, I was fitting quasar H-beta spatial profiles on my computer while listening to this podcast, and the conversation turns to Jeff Goldblum, and Nick and Steve proposed the idea that a generation of people saw Jurassic Park and became scientists based on him.

"Hrm," I thought, "I guess I may belong to this generation. Nah, that's pretty snooty of me."

IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS, my buddy texts me:

"Some real good Goldblum in this Thumbs. Kevin you ARE a Goldblum scientist"

How many times has Dishonored been mentioned on this podcast at this point?  Between guard voices this week, mask discussion in other weeks, and endless Dishonored Holiday enjoyment, it must rival Far Cry 2 in terms of name dropping.

Listening right now. The game that Jake heard about and Chris may have played is Wallenstein, which never made it to English (wait no, it did in a 2012 edition), except as a Japan-themed version called Shogun.

I'll have actual responses to the crazy sweat/ball 'cast once I finish it.

EDIT: Chris and/or Sean, play more Crusader Kings II! With Sons of Abraham, the game is better than it's ever been. The thread for it on the strategy forum is full of advice, but I'd also put myself at your disposal to make sure you always have someone to talk you through the rough spots, just to have you guys playing. I'm playing a game as the king of Sicily right now that is kicking nonstop ass, I wish more people knew.

Anyone who is entertained by this sort of Idle Thumbs antics is going to really love this episode.

I was listening while going for a walk and I'm pretty sure I got more exercise from laughing than from the walking.

I think any time someone's on who hasn't been on in a while it's likely to be a good show just because it harnesses the energy of friends who haven't hung out in a while.

Perhaps some sort of optimum could be achieved by the thumbs taking turns going off on prolonged vacations...?

Has this already started happening......!?

That was the Thumbsiest episode in a while.

Theory: Steve makes it good/weird.

Thanks! I was worried maybe actually I made it dumb garbage. I'm hoping it won't be like, a full year or whatever between cast appearances next time.

Yeah, no, it was excellent. You should definitely cast with the others more often.