Sign in to follow this  
Berzee

Which elbow/knee would you give up, given the choice?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which arm or leg would you least hate to lose the ability to bend in the middle?

Doing some research here. If an evil genie was going to curse one of your arms or legs so that it would remain forever fully extended, no longer able to bend at the elbow or the knee, doomed the wander the world...but the genie gave you the choice of which arm or leg would be cursed...which would you choose?

Yeah, I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, so it'd probably be left knee for me, too. It'd make things awkward, but I think being able to position my hands is much more important to me.

I cycle everywhere and am left handed, so right elbow. Though, low speed right hand turns would be… challenging.

I drive everywhere, left leg

I'm just imagining all the day to day things like using a knife and fork or putting on a pair of trousers. Then I imagine sitting on the toilet with one leg jutting out LOL, shouldn't laugh

I say right leg so I have an excuse to not have to drive any more. Being stuck in traffic for 1 1/2 hours each day has killed any desire to ever operate a vehicle if I don't have to.

I drive everywhere, left leg

I'm just imagining all the day to day things like using a knife and fork or putting on a pair of trousers. Then I imagine sitting on the toilet with one leg jutting out LOL, shouldn't laugh

How would you work the clutch?

Right leg, i get cramps in that knee the most, and i deffo want to keep my arms!

Left leg, I've dislocated that knee like 10 times. While I do things just fine certain motions can be a gamble on keeping the kneecap in its place.

Give up driving stick or give up playing guitar? Shit. I guess I'd drive automatic before I'd stop playing music, so left leg. Kinda makes me realize how much the shit I enjoy depends on four fully functioning limbs though.

I chose leg because prosthetic cyborg legs are a hell of a lot farther along than prosthetic cyborg arms, for obvious reasons. I'll be able to go on a hike with my cool cyborg leg, but typing or playing Titanfall is going to be a bitch with only one arm.

But I also chose "right leg" because your dominant leg is actually the opposite side of your dominant arm, and I'm right handed unlike you weirdo lefties :angry:

Plus I can drive with my left too, I've tried it for no reason that was apparent to me at the time.

But I also chose "right leg" because your dominant leg is actually the opposite side of your dominant arm, and I'm right handed unlike you weirdo lefties :angry:

Uh is that really true 'cause every time I try to kick something with my left leg it goes flying in awkward directions.

Uh is that really true 'cause every time I try to kick something with my left leg it goes flying in awkward directions.

Yeah, I'm extremely right-hand dominant (and mostly sedentary, hence choosing "left knee") and I use my right leg for all leg-related things. Even before shit like driving a car could have affected my preference, I still kicked and knelt with my right leg.

I'm going to go with the left knee choice that seems fairly popular.

I definitely cannot afford to lose use of either of my arms, and i'd still have my right leg to facillitate driving cars.

So yeah, i don't need you, left leg. Go ahead, become an unbending trunk of flesh.

NOT TRUE. Wikipedia - the 100% reliable source of all human knowledge - gives 81.0% as an approximation of the proportion of people favouring their right foot, not greatly lower than the 88.2% that are right-handed. I certainly use my right foot for everything, to the extent that I find that on the rare occasions I attempt ice skating, I'm only able to confidently propel myself with my right leg, leaving me with a sore right ankle the following day.

I voted arm because I tend to hold things at arms length anyway so keeping one arm in that position probably wouldn't change too much for me and voted left because I'm right handed.  I need both my legs to work for my job.  This place is impossible to get around without two functional legs.

Thank you all for the response so far your input has been extremely valuable. Keep it coming, internet.

Poor left knee. The least-loved mid-appendage hinge.

I voted arm because I tend to hold things at arms length anyway

Awesome. Take that, evil genie. I haven't bent this elbow in at least a week anyway. :tup:

The "right leg so I have an excuse not to drive anymore" sounds like a good way to work from home =P, but I've tried driving with my left foot before and I don't think it would be terribly challenging with practice*.

*Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt.

Dammit.

I was going to post a clip from the movie "Wild Hogs" that was mildly relevant. But I can't find the clip I'm looking for. Essentially, one character is being held for ransom by a biker gang, leader of gang says to bring money to some place or he'll take the payment out on the character's legs. To which the character shouts out, "Don't bring the money, I'm a programmer, I don't need my legs!"

...anyways, my choice is Right Leg. I don't consider my legs as important as my arms, and I'm left-handed and thus consider my left side more important. No real reason ,I just feel its more important.

NOT TRUE. Wikipedia - the 100% reliable source of all human knowledge - gives 81.0% as an approximation of the proportion of people favouring their right foot, not greatly lower than the 88.2% that are right-handed. I certainly use my right foot of everything, to the extent that I find that on the rare occasions I attempt ice skating, I'm only able to confidently propel myself with my right leg, leaving me with a sore right ankle the following day.

:wacko: TIL, wonder where I heard that then. I shall build a time machine, go back in time, and kick whoever told me that over and over while yelling "Which one's dominant now bitch, WHICH ONE???"

Dammit.

I was going to post a clip from the movie "Wild Hogs" that was mildly relevant. But I can't find the clip I'm looking for. Essentially, one character is being held for ransom by a biker gang, leader of gang says to bring money to some place or he'll take the payment out on the character's legs. To which the character shouts out, "Don't bring the money, I'm a programmer, I don't need my legs!"

...anyways, my choice is Right Leg. I don't consider my legs as important as my arms, and I'm left-handed and thus consider my left side more important. No real reason ,I just feel its more important.

Yeah.. hollywood writing.

Programmers need legs. How else are they going to get coffee?!

:wacko: TIL, wonder where I heard that then. I shall build a time machine, go back in time, and kick whoever told me that over and over while yelling "Which one's dominant now bitch, WHICH ONE???"

Haha, I know the feeling; I've on several occasions discovered I'd been disseminating mistaken factoids.