BigJKO

Video Game Baby - Idle Parents

THAT IS THE WRONG ASPECT RATIO!

Honestly, it doesn't look as bad as you would expect scaled up on a 58" screen. And you can't tell in the picture but there are some thin black vertical bars on either side so it's not quite a full 16:9. I'm so used to it now I can't tell if it's actually stretching it or not.

Does anybody think the Humongous "Buzzy" games would be fun for my 6 year old nephew? I think he'll like the airport one? Apparently since I got the Humongous bundle I own these by default?

The last couple months, my 6 year old daughter has been playing a ton of Super Mario Bros and has improved quite a lot from when I last posted. She is now consistently getting from 1-1 all the way through 4-3. Through the use of warp pipes she's also jumped ahead and beat all of the non Bowser levels of worlds 5 and 6 as well as 7-1 and 7-2 and I think 8-1. It's pretty incredible to think that not too long ago I was watching her beat 1-1 for the first time and now she is able to get through like 80% of the levels in the game. Soon her training will be complete and she will be ready to start destroying every game she plays.

Also, she's taken to LittleBigPlanet really well and has managed to easily keep up with me even through the later levels.

Why isn't she playing All Stars where you can save? I hated not being able to save in that as a kid.

However had I known A+Start trick as a kid I would have been fine.

Haha, holy crap that's amazing.

Has she attempted Lost Levels? I had beaten them years ago on the GBC Mario Deluxe and All Stars but I tried more recently when I got the All Stars collectors disc on Wii and I just had absolutely not patience anymore. They are such a frustrating chore.

Mario 2 is so good though, does she like that one? Those freaky ass masks scared me so much as a kid, but I think I may have spent the most time with that as a kid, still sad I couldn't save.

She has beaten a couple levels from lost levels but hasn't played too much. That one's a bit too difficult. And she's played some Mario 2 a bit too. She seems to like it but hasn't quite gotten used to the mechanics.

I always played Peach as a kid because of the hovering ability, but later playing Mario Advance, I found Luigi's high jump and floatiness to be essential. I think they may have added that for that version.

So my rising 6 year old is a pretty strong reader.  She's played two of the Freddy Fish games (Ron Gilbert's post-Lucasarts kids point n click adventures) but they're really for pre-readers and I thought she might be ready to graduate to Monkey Island.

She had a fun time through the game, but was always scared ot getting in trouble: she was terrified to go back into the governor's mansion when all the stuff had happened behind the walls.  Also at the end of the game when the cut scene shows Herman Toothrot wondering if he got ditched, she panicked and asked how to go back and save him.  It was pretty adorable.

The problem was the part when Shinetop throws you in the water.  (You're tied to the idol with all the blades just out of reach?)  I remembered that if you took too long there was a thing where Guybrush turns blue... I didn't give her a hint so she could see him turn blue.  Well in the enhanced edition, the blue version of guybrush is pretty graphic and it really freaked her out.  Three days later (after she'd already started Monkey Island 2) she told me that she can't stop thinking about dead Guybrush floating in the water and she keeps having nightmares and unwanted thoughts.  I'm feeling pretty terrible about it and I'm pretty sure I should cut her off of MI2 but this idea isn't so popular with her right now either.

Yeah I don't know if Monkey Island 2 is especially good for a six year old. It also has some swearing. Maybe jn a few years? LeChuck's description of the screaming bone chair still creeps me out as an adult.

I remember getting Sam and Max Hit the Road when I was in third grade, so maybe 9 years old, and I remember I had to play it early Saturday mornings because of Max's potty mouth so that my parents wouldn't find out. i was thrillled.

Update: my four-and-a-half-year-old is loving the heck out of Portal, Flower, Monument Valley and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic's getting close to my no-violence threshold but given that all the enemies are robots and you're freeing your forest friends from them I think it's acceptable.

My stepdaughter, who is 7, played through all of MI2:SE with me recently, and she was fine. Nothing really freaked her out or scared her, except the very end where LeChuck aggressively stalks you.

Hey can anyone recommend a point-n-click adventure game that a dad and first-grader can enjoy figuring out together?  She's almost done with Monkey Island 2, and I'd kind like to have that thing where one person is at the wheel, but both of us are calling out ideas of things to try.

Maybe you'll have better luck with Pajama Sam or Moop and Dreadly?

Otherwise Day of the Tentacle might be fun. Hoagie says "Bitchin'" a lot though.

Hey can anyone recommend a point-n-click adventure game that a dad and first-grader can enjoy figuring out together?  She's almost done with Monkey Island 2, and I'd kind like to have that thing where one person is at the wheel, but both of us are calling out ideas of things to try.

How old is that? My almost-five quite liked Journey for this type of "story" exploration thing.

Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango and The Neverhood are all great.

I meant to post this awhile back but I did a fun thing with my daughter a couple months back.

We had bought a few Amiibos for my daughter and I decided instead of just giving them to her, we would do something a little different. So we wrapped them up like presents (she didn't know what we had gotten her yet) and I convinced my daughter we should turn it into a treasure hunt. She was ecstatic of course and we proceeded to make a treasure map of our back yard and picked out a good spot to mark an 'X' for the treasure location. Then we went into the back yard and I dug a big hole in that spot and we buried the presents. She was so into the whole experience that I didn't even need to try to convince her to wait a few days before digging it up. She was committed. So we waited three days and then finally went on our grand treasure hunt around the yard pretending we didn't know where it was and following our little map until we got to the spot. We then dug them up and she finally opened them and just went nuts. At that point it probably could have been anything and she would have been excited, but they were freaking Nintendo toys that you can connect to your games which just blew her mind.

So next time you get a gift for your kid, don't just give it to them. Make a treasure map, bury it in the back yard, and wait. They will never forget it.

I meant to post this awhile back but I did a fun thing with my daughter a couple months back.

We had bought a few Amiibos for my daughter and I decided instead of just giving them to her, we would do something a little different. So we wrapped them up like presents (she didn't know what we had gotten her yet) and I convinced my daughter we should turn it into a treasure hunt. She was ecstatic of course and we proceeded to make a treasure map of our back yard and picked out a good spot to mark an 'X' for the treasure location. Then we went into the back yard and I dug a big hole in that spot and we buried the presents. She was so into the whole experience that I didn't even need to try to convince her to wait a few days before digging it up. She was committed. So we waited three days and then finally went on our grand treasure hunt around the yard pretending we didn't know where it was and following our little map until we got to the spot. We then dug them up and she finally opened them and just went nuts. At that point it probably could have been anything and she would have been excited, but they were freaking Nintendo toys that you can connect to your games which just blew her mind.

So next time you get a gift for your kid, don't just give it to them. Make a treasure map, bury it in the back yard, and wait. They will never forget it.

Love this.