dibs

Risk of Rain

I played a few matches solo after the lady called it quits for the night.  It's definitely balanced to be harder with more people.  More enemies spawned faster with two of us than by myself. 

The first few matches I was hogging all the items, before we realized that most items aren't shared between both people (a few are, which had erroneously led us to think that they all were). 

Shame, it doesn't look like it supports local + online play, you have to do one or the other. 

Don't feel bad. This game is way difficult.

Co-op is not at all balanced, but great fun.

The game is a little random too, I played a ton of it and no matter what class I played, a lot is up to randomness. How the difficulty progresses, what powers you get. 

It has a great arc though, if you can make it, you start out a lone soldier trying to survive and by the end you're a demi god that can't be stopped, It's a pretty fantastic feeling.

Yeah, it really felt like (given our current skill level) the first four or five items really defined how well the run was going to go.  Good luck with the items, and we'd cruise to the third level (where we would flame out in a matter of seconds).  Bad luck with items, and we usually wouldn't make it past stage 2. 

I don't think there's a way to resurrect someone in a stage, is there?  It gets pretty brutal once it's just one person with the spawn rate of 2-player.

I hadn't realised that Risk of Rain has a co-op mode! Still, I doubt my gf will be interested. Based on watching me play, she thinks it's a bit boring.

(I can appreciate that viewpoint)

But any complaints I have about it are blown away by the awesome feeling of transforming from a weakling into a destructive force of nature. A couple of days ago I played one run for three hours, refusing to teleport to the boss and just endlessly completing stages. Must've been doing way more than 100k damage per second by the end of it. 

I should try out some classes other than Commando. Feel like I've "mastered" that one

Edit: just remembered the MUSIC is so good. So flippin' good.

If anyone wants a copy of this game, I got 3 extra ones from a recent humble bundle that none of my friends want. Let me know!

damn, could have used those copies. 

But any easy way to set up MP?

Tried setting up online co-op the other night but had issues with routers and ports etc. and i heard things like hamachi are no longer supported for it. Would like to be able to set it up easily so I can get my small game group away from playing the same 2 games. 

Okay, so it didn't feel as hard tonight as it did last night.  Twice we made it to the final level (the ship, I'm assuming its the last level), but couldn't make it through it.  Still on Easy, but then we started messing around in Normal to get the Monster Logs to unlock another character, and we were making it to the fifth level. 

Unlocked a few of the artifacts as well.  Command lets you pick your reward from chests, but surprisingly in solo I was doing poorer with that than I was with random rewards.  I would try to make a really focused build, but I think it would end up being too specific to survive where the normal random chests just forced me to deal with whatever I got. 

I'm surprised at how deep this game actually is.  Wouldn't have guessed it from first glance. 

Once you get enough doublejumps on the bandit and some guardian shields it becomes very hard to die. I could never make the sniper work though.

The poison beast is hilarious. I really appreciate the class diversity in this game.

Holy crap, the robot chef is amazing.  I was really loving the poison beast, but the chef might be my fav now.