Jake

Idle Thumbs 132: Kobe's Last Shot

my little brother watches americans commentate over minecraft all the time (i'm british) and now he uses a bunch of american turns of phrase. but I think I do too, since most of the media I consume is american?

So all these lovely games are being made in GameMaker, but from the little I've read and seen, GameMaker games all seem to offer very little or nothing in the way of mod-friendliness. Confirm/deny, anyone? (Most other "game making programs" like Unity also seem to result in very paltry modding options, unless devs go out of their way to make it possible).

(Not that they really need mods, being all tightly design singleplayer or local multiplayer experiences...and I guess that as the tools become easier and easier to use, "one-man games" become something of a replacement for extensive mods anyway...but still, it's probably a shame or something).

The Foiled stream was good television. I acquired that computergame immediately after watching. Now to find someone who will play more than one round of it with me...

I'll take fun games that aren't mod-friendly over game-never-would-have-been-made-in-the-first-place as a reasonable trade-off. Most people using something like GameMaker aren't programming experts for the most part.

I would like to see tons of DEVICE 6 clones hit the app store. It's a good template to make interactive fiction stylistically relevant to a new audience.

... I really miss those games. Basically nothing else offers the same combination of in-depth customization and ground-air spatial tactics.

Verdict Day's pretty awesome, i strongly encourage checking it out.

I would like to see tons of DEVICE 6 clones hit the app store.

I would like to see DEVICE 6 or clones of it hit something besides the app store, so I could play them. =P

Verdict Day's pretty awesome, i strongly encourage checking it out.

I may at some point. I kind of hope that with the success of Dark Souls maybe From will start bringing some of their other properties to PC, since I really am not too into the idea of acquiring and setting up consoles any more...

Does the Spelunky/Yello mashup referenced in this cast exist on the internet? 

I may at some point. I kind of hope that with the success of Dark Souls maybe From will start bringing some of their other properties to PC, since I really am not too into the idea of acquiring and setting up consoles any more...

I really wish they would, i think the Armored Core games in particular might find a much more accepting audience on the PC.

I hope if Kinect is listening enough to recognize language and penalize you in NBA that it will quietly corral all the slur spewing a-holes on XBL into one cesspool. The need/cost for human moderation is pretty minimal and they won't even have to ban people. 

The topic of the early Xbox Live community reminded me of playing Conker Live and Reloaded on the original Xbox. I played that game online for a couple hundred hours and throughout that whole time it was always the same group of people and we always played on the same map (Castle Von Tedistein). Looking back that was probably one of my favorite times in online gaming because not only could I count on playing with the same friendly people every day, but the way we all played was completely different than the way you would play a multiplayer game today since everybody knew everyone else's playstyle. We would often completely ignore the objectives on the map and instead focus on dominating certain areas of the map with certain classes to prove our superiority. That game rocked.

I would like to see DEVICE 6 or clones of it hit something besides the app store, so I could play them. =P

Yeah, it's a real bummer how many cool-sounding games there are that only come out on iOS, a platform that only exists on devices I have zero interest in ever owning.

That email from Zoë about games with unexpected competitive communities was amazing. Thanks for backing it, Nick, and thanks, Sean, for giving voice to my (and others') incredulous responses at precisely the right moments.

I know it segued into a notice about the Netrunner podcast but it would actually be super super cool to listen to Zoë (or Zone of the Enders, if her name was actually a reference to yet another possible unlikely and secret competitive game community) break down the history and background to some of these games in longer form, maybe in conversation with someone integral to the scene. A sort of podcastable Smash Bros documentary in miniature.

Too much to wish for?

Also thanks Chris and Jake.

On the topic of intense but simple competitive local multiplayer games, I strongly recommend 0space. It's from Beau Blythe, creator of the upcoming Samurai Gun, and collaborator on Hyper Light Drifter. It's a zero gravity dueling thing for up to 4 players.

I recorded a video of it once:

(The forum keeps eating the video)

http://teknopants.com/games/0space/

0space

Yes! This game is amazing! It has a feature that I'm suprised I haven't seen anywhere else where it automatically records sounds from your computer mic and saves them with the replays.

Seriously, everyone should play this, it's great.

I played Device 6 over the weekend, and it delivers. Excellent concept, perfectly executed. I think that more games need to exist exactly like this. I don't have one million hours to put into a game, but I'll definitely give a developer money if they want to provide some small number of hours of engaging content. I want to tell every person who is going to go on a five or six hour flight to get this for their iPad, since it's just perfect for that exact situation. I played it on the iPhone, which worked fine, but I could see how enjoying it on an iPad might have made it slightly easier. Overall, very, very good.

Also, if you have played the game, and want to listen to a song that is played at one point in the game, you can do so here

Frozenbyte's also doing the Steam API store thingy but with other company's games I guess? Weird.

http://www.hugeseal.com/

There's a profile-based Steam Coupon incentive program and a buy-3-get-1-free scheme. Hm.

Frozenbyte's also doing the Steam API store thingy but with other company's games I guess? Weird.

http://www.hugeseal.com/

There's a profile-based Steam Coupon incentive program and a buy-3-get-1-free scheme. Hm.

Man, using the 'games not owned' filter is kind of depressing (probably in a good way) there. I already have all the good stuff.