Jake

Idle Thumbs 132: Kobe's Last Shot

8 year old boy. Sitting in bedroom. Playing Spelunky. Narrating in Chris Remo voice.

So, uh, I actually used to help organize Armored Core tournaments, and for a while I ran a fan forum where people could share designs and stuff. I'm not sure where this idea that the series got oversimplified after AA came from -- the immediate successors were maybe a bit simpler, but Nexus may have actually taken things a bit too far by making it so, for instance, balancing the heat output between your boosters and your radiator were of paramount importance to making an even vaguely functional AC. If anything, AA is I think remarkable for being the point where they hit the sweet spot between arcade action and in-depth engineering complexity.

... I really miss those games. Basically nothing else offers the same combination of in-depth customization and ground-air spatial tactics.

Hmm. In previous episode's thread i wrote a comment about steam/valve economy and in this one you said about a person who wanted to talk about it, but said that... Nevermind, unless i have an amnesia, that was another person.

So... I wonder if i should try to gather my thoughts and write them to questions@, or do you have the topic covered. Or i'm just misunderstanding everything.

Sorry if this comment doesn't make any sense.

Jesus Christ, that last email is one of the most insane things that has ever happened on this podcast. You guys have to get this Zoe character on as a podcast guest ASAP.

Foiled sounds a lot like a melee TOWERFALL, which is some of the most riotous multiplayer fun I've had this year. 4 Player local co-op, where each player starts with 3 arrows that have a short arcing range. You can bounce off the walls, and have the single screen levels spawn power ups like wings that let you multi-jump, a 1 hit shield or a cloaking field. I can't recommend it enough! You have a to buy an OUYA to play it right now. Coming to PC. I think it's worth owning an OUYA for it now. I promise great fun!

One of my best gaming memories is when playing mechassault, a guy was freestyle rapping about his Thor and how powerful it was. It being early xbox live nobody gave him crap, we just enjoyed it

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sometimes just sits there and narrates a game in a British accent.

My narrative accent changes depending on my mood, what I'm playing, and how well I'm doing.  I usually jump between British, Australian, bad Sean Connery impersonation, fake Russian, actual Chinese, and random gibberish.

Jesus Christ, that last email is one of the most insane things that has ever happened on this podcast. You guys have to get this Zoe character on as a podcast guest ASAP.

I agree! If she turns out to be one of Chris' personas, as Sean suggested, I hope Chris will try to hide the fact from the others using a hilarious sitcom scheme.

Also, anyone got a link to that Halloween robot costume?

So using some semantic wizardry, if you categorize Device 6 as a word puzzle iPad thing rather than a game, and you categorize Foiled! as a weird sports game, then episode 132 of Idle Thumbs was the sportscast episode with a brief tangent on word puzzle iPad apps.

God, the NBA 2K14 talk was hysterical. I looked like an idiot walking and trying to stifle my chortles.

What an amazing episode. The "oh yeah" stuff had me cracking up and the weird multiplayer gaming email was amazing.

I love that last week there was a discussion about the 80s being crap (which is false), then this week?

Day bow bow.

Team Fortress 2 on the Xbox 360 had a similar small community where everyone knew each other. I remember all the guys I played with all lamented how we didn't have the updates the PC did when those started rolling out. It's weird that some of my fondest multiplayer gaming memories are from TF2 on the 360, but yeah

Relevant.

Quick aside, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is tremendous, people should watch it.

Team Fortress 2 on the Xbox 360 had a similar small community where everyone knew each other. I remember all the guys I played with all lamented how we didn't have the updates the PC did when those started rolling out. It's weird that some of my fondest multiplayer gaming memories are from TF2 on the 360, but yeah

I know exactly what you mean.  I was really into that community for a while.  I even joined a 'clan'.  That's such a weird idea to me now.