Sign in to follow this  
tegan

Super Mario 3D World

It's about time we just made a thread for this.

So the Nintendo Direct today closed with a crazy sizzle reel for 3D World which included showing off a bunch of crazy unlockable stuff and weird shenanigans.

Nier-esque genre-bending levels where you essentially play a kart racer and a shmup using Mario characters and controls

Levels where you play as the Toad Commander from Super Mario Galaxy, who can't jump

Speedrun stages

Some kind of crazy money train thing

Rosalina is an unlockable playable character with a double jump

This wacky thing:

Basically this is looking like maybe the most incredible Mario game in years. I choose to believe that we're getting this to make up for all those NSMB games.

"Super Mario 3DS World"

You made a mistake in the title of the topic.

Edit: Sure, you can go and fix it, but it's still immortalized for all time in this reply.

I don't feel that I need to watch this video as I have preordered the game before buying a 3ds.

What is Super Mario Bros 3's multiplayer doing in that video? What is going on??

This game does look amazing, though. If I weren't about to sink my hardware funds for the foreseeable future into a new PC I'd probably get a Wii U for this and Mario Kart alone. As it is, I'm going to enjoy catching up on some good-ass Nintendo games in a year or so.

I don't feel that I need to watch this video as I have preordered the game before buying a 3ds.

That might create some sadness, since Super Mario 3D World is going to be a Wii U game.

I have to buy a Wii U now. It's over. Nintendo has won.

Yeah, it's weird that on the eve of 2 new consoles launching, the one I want the most is the one that launched last year.

No, that's not weird at all. Line-ups usually take a year to become anywhere near interesting. The Wii U's time has simply come to bloom into the thing it was designed to be. PS4 and Xbone will take another year before they're remotely interesting.

You know, I have three notions regarding the unlockable character mentioned above:

1. Does this mean we can do 5-player gameplay as well? Because that's totally a thing that the Wii U can do.
  2. Why reveal the unlockable character? My friend hypothesizes that there might be more than one, which I agree with.
  3. I really like that not only do Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach all keep their Super Mario 2 mechanics, but the new character has a similar exclusive gimmick that's entirely appropriate to their game of origin.

WARIO!!!!

(I'd love a Wario with a forward charge, oh man, I'd kill for that (I love Wario games))

If they're going to have Wario, they have to have Waluigi.  After all, if this is the Year of Luigi, his doppelganger should also make an appearance.  I have no idea what his unique ability would be though.

So who else might they have?

Yoshi? Wario?

An additional Toad.

EDIT: or Nabbit

If they're going to have Wario, they have to have Waluigi.  After all, if this is the Year of Luigi, his doppelganger should also make an appearance.  I have no idea what his unique ability would be though.

He could spawn four extra limbs and become a spider.

Waluigi absolutely SHOULD be in this game, and this is a pretty logical excuse for him to be in it, but he still hasn't been in a non-spinoff game and I doubt he ever will. I've always loved Nintendo, but they seem to be terrified of the two things I love in video games: story and Waluigi

You know, I have three notions regarding the unlockable character mentioned above:

1. Does this mean we can do 5-player gameplay as well? Because that's totally a thing that the Wii U can do.

I seriously doubt it as the character selection screen they've shown multiple times only has 4 slots.

Preordered this game as soon as I owned a Wii U. I need no more convincing. I just need this game inside my Wii U.

I'm for it as long as we eventually get a year of Wario, too. D:

Is there truly a year of Waluigi on the horizon? That would be a great year. Waluigi is the worst.

[...] they seem to be terrified of the two things I love in video games: story and Waluigi

Haha, excellent.

WARIO!!!!

(I'd love a Wario with a forward charge, oh man, I'd kill for that (I love Wario games))

Another thread hijack for want of Wario Land 3DS!

It's been a long time since an actual first party Wario title. Not since Wario Land 4 (Which I haven't gotten to yet). I guess the Wario games aren't as popular with fans and have taken a backseat to development, but I think it's my favorite series in the Marioverse. There's just something so satisfying about the weird "state of Wario" playing style and also being overly powerful and driven by greed. They just promote exploration and nonlinearity in levels for the sole purpose satisfaction of collecting more stuff. Wario games tend to be very addictive because they flow so well. I think maybe that's why I really loved Rabbids Go Home, it seems very similar in the need for exploration just to collect a bunch of stuff only for the satisfaction. Neither the Wario series or Rabbids Go Home really holds you to getting all the collectables like a Rare title or something. Also having finished Wario Land Virtual Boy this year on an actual Virtual Boy only makes me wish Nintendo would get on it and convert all the VB titles to be playable from the 3DS, it'd be perfect even if they only decided to port Wario Land. Updated color graphics would be even better.

So less of this year of Luigi and maybe next year, year of Wario. Waluigi can eat a bowl of shit.