Sign in to follow this  
Nelsormensch

Terminal 7 1: Tiny, Tiny Meta

Terminal7 1:

456__header.jpg

Tiny, Tiny Meta
Nels from Campo Santo and Jesse from Slick Entertainment crave Netrunner. They crave it so much they couldn't stop talking about it. Then they put microphones in front of their faces and made it into a podcast. Idle Thumbs was kind enough to host that podcast and here we are. So welcome! Oh, and we may have hacked the Idle Thumbs show page for most of a morning.

Games Discussed: Android: Netrunner (Don't expect this will change much)

I believe the game is called Android: Netrunner.

Oh, well fiiiiine then. I guess if one wanted to be pedantic, one could claim that Netrunner is the actual game and Android just the (uggh) "universe" it lives in since there's several other FFG games that are also based in Android. Barf. I'll stop.

Okay, you guys sold me on the game when you said it's great because it's just fun whether you are winning or losing.  I find that both Dominion and Small World are two of my favorite games to play because of that.  The mechanics and choices always feel relevant and engaging to me, even if I don't ultimately win (or aren't even particularly competitive).

Until I get around to playing it, I don't know that I'll listen to many more episodes.  I enjoyed this one for the newness of it, but felt too lost most of the time to want to listen to more. 

That's great! Yeah, I find Netrunner is very rarely dull. I think it's the fact that *so* much of the game relies on hidden information, so it's very difficult to feel like you know exactly what's going on and can just coast.

The one core set gets you enough for both corp and runner too, so you and someone else can play with just one box.

That's great! Yeah, I find Netrunner is very rarely dull. I think it's the fact that *so* much of the game relies on hidden information, so it's very difficult to feel like you know exactly what's going on and can just coast.

The one core set gets you enough for both corp and runner too, so you and someone else can play with just one box.

That's good to know, as I would likely start playing with my wife, so just having to buy one set makes it more likely that we'll pick it up.

I really enjoyed the podcast, although mostly because of the moments when the discussion was more about games as a whole than Netrunner in particular. I especially liked you guys talking about Battlestar Galactica, because it has the same sort of long-term planning with hidden information that makes for an instantly interesting metagame.

OCTGN really is a bastard to figure out especially when you are like me and also have little idea of how to play the game. People have been willing to help me play though which is nice. I find the hardest part is remembering the list of things you need to do/click when starting a run 

I enjoyed listening. I understood more than I thought I would. Me and Capt. Hastings have only been playing since the Mario's Picnic episode and we just bought our first data-pack (What Lies Ahead).

My favorite part of the podcast was when y'all were talking about instances of the theme and mechanics, synergizing. I get a very strong sense of this, but Capt. Hastings does not. She finds herself viewing the game as pure mathematical optimization. It's possible that the difference between us is that I read Count Zero and have started Neuromancer, while she hasn't participated in the fiction. Hearing your narrative interpretations of player-motives and card-abilities was fun for me because I'm constantly thinking about that stuff while I play.

Downloading OCTGN right now. This is just going to be my life now.