Bjorn

The most niche podcast you have listened too

So I saw that Idle Thumbs is now hosting a Netrunner specific podcast, and they have DOTA Today.  Which got me thinking about hyperniche podcasts, focusing on just a single game or limited topic.

Anyone have any specialized 'casts they listen to?

For me it was Twin Humanities, a podcast that talked solely about Dark Souls, hosted by a couple of British gents.  It's an absolute treat to listen to if you're a fan of the game. 

I once found a podcast feed that was just people on a UFO forums responding to each other. Apparently they thought it'd be fun to do a thread in audio form, where every post was an episode of the podcast. T'was weird.

Also, there's a sketch comedy podcast that is just parodies of Donkey Kong Country.

EDIT: Found it. Warning: Not good.

I once found a podcast feed that was just people on a UFO forums responding to each other. Apparently they thought it'd be fun to do a thread in audio form, where every post was an episode of the podcast. T'was weird.

Also, there's a sketch comedy podcast that is just parodies of Donkey Kong Country.

Eh, things like that never last long.

...never mind, they're on Episode 206. I am baffled. I have to listen to at least one episode now. Just one...

EDIT: I regret this almost immediately.

Eh, things like that never last long.

...never mind, they're on Episode 206. I am baffled. I have to listen to at least one episode now. Just one...

EDIT: I regret this almost immediately.

And I'm bookmarking this to listen to tomorrow at work.  How bad can it be...

I can't even tell what this means!! But I can't bring myself to listen to any of it to find out!!

...*To

(it was bugging me)

"Donkey Cock Country" or "Donkey Balls."

My most niche thing isn't really a podcast, it's rather internet radio that I listened to pertaining to a specific niche. I feel it's apropos to bring it up considering Zack was just on the podcast, but I listened to KoL Radio for a quite a while during my tenure playing Kingdom of Loathing (5 years or so). A lot of it was just music that appealed to KoL players, but there was some conversation and some interviews that were quite niche that pertained specifically to the game.

I listen to Bonfireside Chat, a D*Souls podcast by the Watch out for Fireballs guys.

There are multiple podcasts devoted to the Souls series?  :blink:  The internet is a strange and wonderful place.

I listen to a niche-oriented podcast that is all about niches (although I like it too when they get semi-offtopic and discuss nooks, alcoves, crannies and other wall recesses).

I listen to this one podcast that claims to be about video games, but in reality they mostly talk about how they don't play any games, or they talk about Spelunky, Dota 2 and Far Cry 2 over and over again.

The best niche podcast I listen to is The Antique Phonograph Music Program on WFMU. He's literally playing old 78's and wax cylinders live on the air, so it's pretty much all music you'd never ever hear anywhere else, unless you're a collector. One episode was just novelty bird whistling records. I'm not particularly interested in pop music of the 20's and 30's, but the sheer weight of the history mixed with the general light pleasantness of the music and the warm tone of the host make it a really enjoyable thing to listen to.

And, I guess in the same ballpark, there are a lot of podcasts (the ones curated by Relic Radio are my favorite) that just post old (presumably now public domain) radio dramas of the early 20th century. I have an undying affection for horror shows like Lights Out, Suspense, and Beyond Midnight but some of those feeds can get very niche, like Relic's Radio At War, which is just old WW2 war-time programs, including old recruitment dramas about how exciting and rewarding it is to be in the Navy.

So I guess I do have a taste for old-timey stuff, but it's less from being a history buff (when it comes to history I may be the most ignorant person I know) and more the effect of how surprisingly transporting listening to old radio can be. It's hard for me to hear some spooky tale about a haunted castle without imagining the 6 year old who stayed up past his bedtime with his ear to the radio, too scared to move.

I was going to listen to a podcast about Nietzsche, but I had no reason to.

I guess The F Plus qualifies as niche, not as a collective, but each individual episode covers something so incredibly niche that the podcast exists purely to make fun of it.

I'm sorry but what was your purpose in posting this?

He was making a hilarious existentialism joke about the most ni(etz)che podcast he had (not[?]) listened to. 

lately i've really been enjoying this podcast that seems to be entirely about spelunky.

jk jk 1 luv.

EDIT! dammit, Hermie beat me to the gag by a day. sorry! 

lately i've really been enjoying this podcast that seems to be entirely about spelunky.

jk jk 1 luv.

EDIT! dammit, Hermie beat me to the gag by a day. sorry! 

That's actually every video game podcast at the moment!

He was making a hilarious existentialism joke about the most ni(etz)che podcast he had (not[?]) listened to. 

Aha! I too was attempting to do so with a question about the existential meaning of his joke.

Philosophy jokes! The best!

I listen to a podcast on d.i.y. audio/recording equipment where they do things like talk about mic preamp circuit design or argue over the merits of through hole vs surface mount and vice versa on components.  It's pretty dope.

I listen to a podcast on d.i.y. audio/recording equipment where they do things like talk about mic preamp circuit design or argue over the merits of through hole vs surface mount and vice versa on components.  It's pretty dope.

Yeah, but is it in stereo or mon— :getmecoat

Aha! I too was attempting to do so with a question about the existential meaning of his joke.

Philosophy jokes! The best!

It's pretty much my only one. I was afraid to respond to you in case in got in over my depth!

Yeah, but is it in stereo or mon— :getmecoat

For some reason that made me lol hard.