tegan

Licenses That Demand A Game

Also: a Blade Runner game using next-gen LA Noire motion-capture tech, where you're Voight-Kampff testing people and deciding whether you think they're replicants. (Dodgy acting and the Uncanny Valley as thematically appropriate gameplay, etc!)

Also: a Blade Runner game using next-gen LA Noire motion-capture tech, where you're Voight-Kampff testing people and deciding whether you think they're replicants. (Dodgy acting and the Uncanny Valley as thematically appropriate gameplay, etc!)

That sounds a lot like the Westwood Blade Runner game :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(1997_video_game)

That said I would totally buy it.

Yeah totally - I just want an awesome new one (where you're analyzing realistic performances) :)

Isn't the Voight-Kampff based on analysis of pupil-dilation and heart-rate and stuff?

Isn't the Voight-Kampff based on analysis of pupil-dilation and heart-rate and stuff?

That's... a good point. Idea ruined!

I'm certain this has been said before, but why was there no Wii Pokémon Snap? It's a match made in heaven.

Also there clearly needs to be a Voynich Manuscript game

I'm certain this has been said before, but why was there no Wii Pokémon Snap? It's a match made in heaven.

I really, really want to see one on the Wii U, using the gamepad's gyrometer.

I really, really want to see one on the Wii U, using the gamepad's gyrometer.

I hadn't thought of that. I guess you could use the gamepad as a gestalt camera! I've never actually seen or used a Wii U, but maybe the shoulder buttons could be used to take a picture. Is the controller light enough to hold it up to the screen? Maybe the game could have a non-adjustable on-rails view on the main screen, and a zoomed-in picture on the gamepad screen.

I seem to remember that, in the original, you could turn slowly in 360°, or you could swivel about 90° with a C-button, Resident Evil-style. Maybe that could be how you'd move around.

I want to throw an apple at a Cherrim or a Hoppip and watch in judgment of their cannibalism

The gamepad is totally light enough that you could hold it up for the length of a Pokémon Snap level without getting tired.

In the original though, the C buttons were for the Poké Flute and I think the Dash Engine. I'm pretty sure that camera movement was analog stick only.

The gamepad is totally light enough that you could hold it up for the length of a Pokémon Snap level without getting tired.

In the original though, the C buttons were for the Poké Flute and I think the Dash Engine. I'm pretty sure that camera movement was analog stick only.

Right. I guess I misspoke; I thought the gamepad could be used to physically control the position of the camera, and buttons could be used to change the orientation of the cab you're in (I guess that was called the Dash Engine).

The Dash Engine was the thing that made you go twice as fast.

Man I loved pokemon snap... 

Actually the Giant bomb guys (especially the late Ryan Davis) kept talking about a new PS game, first around the 3DS, then on the Wii U. It really does make a ton of sense. Talk about a game that "justifies" the use of the gamepad.

Groundhog Day. You relive the same day over and over and watch the same series of events happen each day with slight changes based off of your interactions. Once you eventually discover how to break out of the loop the game's ending would consist of you getting to live one last day and experience the world finally moving forward again.

Also, for the record: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_Fantasia

you know how open-world superhero games became a thing? I want one of those with Astro Boy.

Also there clearly needs to be a Voynich Manuscript game

voynich_manuscript.png

Damn this stupid forum for not letting me use html tags, so I couldn't include the title text!

voynich_manuscript.png

Damn this stupid forum for not letting me use html tags, so I couldn't include the title text!

Didn't realise there'd been an xkcd about it! Time to print this off and tape it to my tutor's office door.

I was sort of thinking that the game would involve trying to decipher the mad text, but living in the alien world it describes sounds way better!

That sounds kind of awesome.  It is a bit surprising that looping gameplay isn't something that has been explored more, if for no other reason than the cost effectiveness of it.  You can make one solid environment, and let the player explore it over and over again, instead of needing a whole ton of environments. 

As complex systems and AI routines become easier to implement (thanks to existing code and solutions), that should also help.  Make it easier to screw with something in the morning and see how it pans out in the evening.  If it were totally systems driven, rather than scripted, that could be fascinating. 

I would love to play a game based on THEY LIVE, my absolute favorite 80s B-movie.

the cameo in Saints Row 4 was awful, frankly, had little to do with the film.

Maybe something along the lines of State Of Decay, i.e stealthy, with management aspects, interspersed with short but intense bouts of violence as you reclaim reagans 'murica from the lizard people? Agentry was a big theme in that movie, you could add some kind of mechanic where members of your team just might be working for the lizards and you have to test their loyalty/ ideological soundness...

I see kiddos spouting "OBEY" T-shirts/caps as of late, they probably dont even know where thats from(insert harumping and other various old man noises here).

I haven't played Emerald City Confidential, but the Oz books could be a good setting for an expansive game with all their different lands and peoples and magics.

I would say War Of The Worlds, but I think that's probably inspired a fair few games already.

EDIT: I won't bother bumping, but The Fifth Element had a great universe (though you could perhaps instead choose the works of all the comic book creators that Besson gathered to do concept art for him).

Terminator 2.

The film is the greatest video game never made. The Terminator is a walking bullet sponge. He has an inbuilt detective/scanning mode. He uses an assortment of heavy weapons. He walks and talks rigidly. Why have Rocksteady not made this game already?

There is so much obvious potential in the concept. Yes, he sponges bullets but if he can't pass for human, he's not much good to anybody (yes, I'm paraphrasing the film :) ). If you consider that he's forbidden from killing anyone, the game could actually be extremely strategic and non-violent. Okay, perhaps non-violent isn't quite right, but incapacitating people seems a little more progressive than beheading. If you had the skill you could tank it or you could stealth with the lights out or use the environment to your advantage, yadda yadda. All that video game stuff. Multiple gameplay possibilities empowering the player with choice...yuk. But hey, the Arkham games have shown how to mash genres enjoyably and make all that hot air into something chunky and satisfying.

Also, the T-1000. You can be the bad guy. Morph into the wall to take down guards, copy people, get information, get stabby, run after little boys on bikes, leap onto helicopters. You lack the detective vision but you're a goddamn poly-mimetic alloy! Guns are so '80s - it's all about the knives and stabbing weapons.

The movie gives you everything. Great and varied locations (residential, urban, desert, office, shopping mall, flood-control channels, steel mill, future warscape...), car/motorcycle/lorry chases, guns. The goddamn objective based gameplay! It's already a video game, and it's got a massive built-in 30-something nostalgic gaming audience.

The worst game I've ever bought was T2: Judgment Day (NOT the Arcade Game) on the Mega Drive. An awful awful thing. However, now they've scrapped the law that all licence tie-ins must be shite, Rocksteady or Naughty Dog must make this game.

The Main Guy's called Mouse. Lol. Looks good though.

A 1984 licensed game would be super weird and gross. I'm thinking like the new wolfenstein but you're playing as Winston Smith. Escape Room 101! Press the buttons to avoid the rats! Big Brother is watching you - Stay out of sight of the CCTV Cameras!

Also, the T-1000. You can be the bad guy. Morph into the wall to take down guards, copy people, get information, get stabby, run after little boys on bikes, leap onto helicopters. You lack the detective vision but you're a goddamn poly-mimetic alloy! Guns are so '80s - it's all about the knives and stabbing weapons.

The T-1000 would have detective vision but it would be all blue and Windows-y, like Robocop 2's.