tegan

Licenses That Demand A Game

Licensed games usually suck, and original ideas should always be more welcome than spinoffs, but supposing for a moment that you hypothetically had the option to make a game based on a pre-existing property and the resources to make it good, what game would you want to make?

The first few Harry Potter books would make amazing Persona games. Those books are all about a bunch of kids attending class and managing their social lives during the day and uncovering the truth behind crazy mysteries at night. Megas XLR also seemed tailor-made for some kind of

deal with a human-scaled city being used as a battlefield for giant robots.

I would definitely make a game based on the Storm comic book. It would probably be a third person action game with a lot of adventure and exploring elements. Or maybe a Elder Scroll like RPG set in the world, and then you would probably not be any of the 3 main characters. Exploring a world like this or this would simply be amazing.

Gone Home:Tannenbaums edition

I'm not sure how to read this. You mean the chrismas tree? Or a search through the MIMIX OS!?

I always thought Dragonball Z games would be cool, but not really the fighting game thing that they are now but rather something like Asura's Wrath. Imagine using a Kamehameha and jamming on a button a hundred times in 5 seconds so you could have the same strained expression on your face as Gohan kicking Cell's green butt.

I'm not sure how to read this. You mean the chrismas tree? Or a search through the MIMIX OS!?

It's gotta be The Royal Tenenbaums, right, dibs?  Such a detailed home!  I want to lick the wallpaper in that house even more than the wallpaper in Willy Wonka.

*MINIX. A thousand neck bearded nerds will surely descend upon you for your transgressions.

Trasngression!? It's called a "typo", those letters are right next to eachother.

The forgotten 2006 Wayne Kramer film Running Scared. As a film, it alternates wildly between an effective and annoying riff on latter-day Tony Scott, but it'd have a ton of potential as a game. It's about an abused kid who steals a gun from his neighbors to kill his abusive step-dad and then runs away into the night. The catch is, the gun he stole was used to kill a cop, so the protagonist (played by a less-bland than normal Paul Walker) has to track down the kid and the gun before the cops do. Along the way, both traverse through a Grimm fairy-tale version of an urban environment, where various dangers of pimps, addicts, and gang members are portrayed as fairy tale counterparts. The blue fairy is a prostitute, a drug addict is a goblin, the witch from Hansel and Gretel becomes a pair of child molesting kidnappers, etc. In my head I see it as part adventure game, part open-world action.

I saw that movie. And they way tou describe it sound way more interesting that what I recall the movie was.

The reboot of total recall is a ready built video game world.

:spiraldy: 

yes I agree

:) hey I didn't say it would be a good game. There's a giant elevator that travels through the middle of the earth, what's more video game than that!

If they were guaranteed good games, and if it weren't a re-run of the story but using the same universe, I'd love me some Back To The Future and (as I've said a couple of times) LOST - I'd love to be immersed in the tightly-wound adventure of the former and the setting of the latter. The Who Framed Roger Rabbit universe would be cool, to cite another Zemeckis film. Watchmen, maybe - you'd be a crappily-costumed vigilante in alt-1985 (or any other year). Oooh, and Labyrinth. Powerpuff Girls. League Of Gentlemen. And what the hell, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen too.

Oh, Hectic Planet by Evan Dorkin would be amazing. And I know Bill Watterson would hate it, but Calvin And Hobbes.

:) hey I didn't say it would be a good game. There's a giant elevator that travels through the middle of the earth, what's more video game than that!

Why do you want to create a shit game!?

Oh, Hectic Planet by Evan Dorkin would be amazing. And I know Bill Watterson would hate it, but Calvin And Hobbes.

Calvin And Hobbes ... yeah I have some vague brainfarts for that. It would be a game with a "mood" switch. You can switch between real life, or Calvin's fantasy live where Hobbes is alive. You'll have to switch between moods to solve the "issues".

These are licensed games remember, they're bound to be shitty balls ;)

I used to fantasise about licensed 2D fighters quite a bit in my youth, but nothing is coming to mind now.

Ive got it! A big trouble in little China kart racer

An Ace Attorney clone starring Lionel Hutz and a Trauma Center clone starring Dr. Nick Riviera.

It's gotta be The Royal Tenenbaums, right, dibs?  Such a detailed home!  I want to lick the wallpaper in that house even more than the wallpaper in Willy Wonka.

Oh yes indeedy:)

I think a Telltale-style Twin Peaks game would be rad. That seems like it would work, right?

Ive got it! A big trouble in little China kart racer

That would clearly be a River City Ransom like game.

Talking about racing. There hasn't been a Gumball or Cannonball game. Although Racing USA or Racing World comes close.

Did anyone play the wacky racers cart game, it was absolutely fantastic! The one true great of licensed cart racers