BigJKO

A Dedicated Thread For Talking About Star Trek Episodes

Yeah, I don't really appreciate the sequel episodes. Heck, bringing Mudd back for a second appearance in TOS was already too much. 

There are things I would have liked to revisit, though. The original show has so many abruptly ending stories that leave the audience wondering things like "Golly, I wonder what this society is going to turn into, now that the Enterprise crew murdered their leader and took a huge shit on everything and then left." 

I guess there must be novels that answer these questions, but I'm not ready to go down that beppo's hole.

Hey, Jennifer Lien, the actress who played Kes on Voyager, is making national headlines!

*clicks*

*closes browser*

Yeah... Uh, not good.

If you're going to talk about a Voyager actress making the news, let's at least talk about the one that matters: Jeri Ryan, who played Seven-of-Nine, is indirectly responsible for Barack Obama becoming president.

While dealing blackjack in the 90s, she met Jack Ryan. The two went on to get married and have children. Jack Ryan had a life in Chicago, and Jeri Ryan had a burgeoning acting career in LA. They got a divorce, and the records were sealed by request of both parties. A while later, Jack Ryan decided to run for the US Senate and people sought to have their divorce records unsealed. It came to light that Jack Ryan was into some real kinky shit, and Jeri had asked for a divorce because she just could not deal with his particular sexual demands. Once the particulars came to light, Jack Ryan withdrew from the race, making room for his main opponent in the 2004 Chicago-area Senate election: Barack Obama.

I went to StarTrek.com to read the whole press release, and couldn't find it. I then noticed they have a pretty robust store there, which is cool because you just don't see real licensed Star Trek merch in the field that much anymore. Then I saw that they sell a shirt modeled after Wesley's weird tri-color thing from the first couple of seasons. I closed the browser window.

Edit: Found it. By the co-writer of the two new films. Hopefully that doesn't turn it into an action-fest, or write it into the new movie continuity instead of the old series.

Edit: Found it. By the co-writer of the two new films. Hopefully that doesn't turn it into an action-fest, or write it into the new movie continuity instead of the old series.

Ugh, I didn't know that.  I'm okay with the alt-universe thing in the films for this stretch of movies, but I don't want that to become the new canon. 

Rather than porting over already-existing people, the show will feature “new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception.”

http://www.avclub.com/article/theres-new-star-trek-tv-series-works-227792

I think it will be alt-universe, but you won't really be able to tell. I suspect they'll take the opportunity to shake off the weight of established lore and do what they want. It'll be a non-Enterprise, nu-Kirk era ship, flying about on missions but with the TOS mix of action and philosophy. It'll be like Enterprise but without the suffocating prequelitis and embarrassingly desperate attempts to be edgy and sexy.

Could be great, could be abominable.

desperate attempts to be edgy and sexy.

I'm pretty sure it will be this regardless of what characters you use or don't use.  Also the fact that it's a CBS only thing means I'm probably never going to watch it.

Well, it might have fewer 'decontamination' lube wrestling sessions.

But if you don't sexualize one of your female characters in the first episode why would anyone keep watching the show?

See also X-Files ("Oh Mulder, I got an alien mark on me, let me strip down to my underwear so you can see!").

Why did you think so? Because it's a weird fit for Star Trek? Seems to me like they're saying "don't worry, we're going back to the Star Warsy feel of the first reboot film and chucking some Guardians Of The Galaxy in!"

I mean, yeah, of course it's a weird fit for Star Trek, but three films into the reboot universe I'm getting over that now. I guess that is exactly what they're saying, and I just found it unexpected. It seemed like they were trying to go another way with the second film, and while it didn't exactly pan out I didn't click play on that trailer expecting to see them not only utterly reverse their position but actually try to go further into comedy action territory. I'm not 100% against it, although I'm not certain I actually want Star Trek to be Guardians of the Galaxy or that Star Trek can be Guardians of the Galaxy, but I'm surprised.

Putting qualms about the film aside for a moment, though, I'm not sure about the trailer as a trailer. It seems... incoherent? Perhaps because it's an announcement trailer and they want to put as many big ticket scenes in as possible without showing any hint of story, but it seemed to jump around all over the place with no clear theme or message.

I don't really get people's reactions to the trailer.  I think it looks like a dumb movie, but I'm confused by the "this isn't Star Trek" talk.  Star Trek hasn't been classic Star Trek for the last two movies.  Why was this one supposed to be any different?  It's pretty much exactly what I was expecting to see.  If people were thinking it was going to be like the Star Trek of yore and wax philosophic about the human condition, they clearly haven't been paying attention to the last few films, even before the reboot.

The thing is, TOS was full of dumb action and comedy. So were that series' films. The ones that skewed a little more serious are the odd-numbered ones that no one likes [simplification to make a point]. It's fine if someone doesn't like those aspects, but they've always been a part of Trek, even if they waned for the TNG+ tv series (again, the TNG movies had their fair share of dumb action).

I was pretty put off by Star Trek as a kid because my parents were obsessed with it and I was too young to appreciate it.

I'm pretty put off by Star Trek now because of the Beastie Boys. 2 out of 3 movies now. I can't stand it, even if they planned it.

I don't really get people's reactions to the trailer.  I think it looks like a dumb movie, but I'm confused by the "this isn't Star Trek" talk.  Star Trek hasn't been classic Star Trek for the last two movies.  Why was this one supposed to be any different?  It's pretty much exactly what I was expecting to see.  If people were thinking it was going to be like the Star Trek of yore and wax philosophic about the human condition, they clearly haven't been paying attention to the last few films, even before the reboot.

I've been making this complaint since 2009, don't worry.

"There's not enough science in this Trek," is usually how I phrase it.

Star Trek hasn't been classic Star Trek for the last two movies.  Why was this one supposed to be any different?

Classic Trek has endured for 6+ years of the new films appearing and disappearing, so New Trek really is rudely butting in on Classic Trek each time Paramount wants to make more money.

For me, I'll just rewatch the episode where Kirk and McCoy end up on the Civil War Planet.