BigJKO

A Dedicated Thread For Talking About Star Trek Episodes

I've been re-watching the movies on blu-ray with some friends, and man, all the TNG movies are really bad. They just kind of step on everything the show got right, turning Picard from a conscientious man who believes everything has a right to exist, to a space gatlin toting dune buggy off roading enthusiast. People may laugh, but of them, I think Generations is the best one, even though it has some real editing issues, like when it looks like Picard chooses to be stuck under a rock. 

Yesterday's Enterprise, besides being some good ol' time-travellin' sci-fi also retroactively gave Tasha Yar a good reason to die instead of the pretty awful "Poop! She's dead!" of the Evil Goo episode.

Except! SPOILERS for Redemption S3/4.

They end up retroactively (AGAIN!) kind of ruining that fine moment of self-sacrifice, by explaining that she actually survived the Enterprise C's demise, birthed a Romulan daughter (who looks exactly the same..) before being executed for attempting to flee.. I liked the reference to Yesterday's Enterprise, but that's a pretty shitty thing to do to a character off-screen..

Yesterday's Enterprise, besides being some good ol' time-travellin' sci-fi also retroactively gave Tasha Yar a good reason to die instead of the pretty awful "Poop! She's dead!" of the Evil Goo episode.

Except! SPOILERS for Redemption S3/4.

They end up retroactively (AGAIN!) kind of ruining that fine moment of self-sacrifice, by explaining that she actually survived the Enterprise C's demise, birthed a Romulan daughter (who looks exactly the same..) before being executed for attempting to flee.. I liked the reference to Yesterday's Enterprise, but that's a pretty shitty thing to do to a character off-screen..

I agree.

I too liked that they reference the alternate timeline (including Guinan being all mysterious) but giving Tasha yet another dumb, pointless death kind of ruined the impact of Yesterday's Enterprise.  That said though, I think it does make Sela's story a bit more interesting because she sympathizes with the "bad guy" Romulans even though they executed her mother.  Normally sci-fi stories are all about emphasising the "humanity" of characters, even ones that are only part human, but in this case they went the other way.  And as a bit of a teaser, Sela does return later.

Great! Those are the ones I'm watching.

One question, does The Tin Man ever return?

Well, it's not really a secret cause I never denied it.  And to be fair, some of the information I've been giving is from my memory but a lot of it is also from Memory-Alpha, the Star Trek wiki, which I think is one of the better wikis out there.  Also I can really only speak about TNG and Voyager as I've seen those the most.  I need to finish DS9 one of these days.

As for Tin Man, he does not return in the series.

Cause And Effect was really good - I was almost shouting at the screen towards the end of it! I might have said this already, but I can really see the influence of some of these episodes on LOST (iirc the LOST writers have said that The Constant was partly inspired by the TNG series finale).

Working on a TNG illustration. So far, Picard, Data and Worf are sketched in.

tumblr_mz30h0CTPs1qlxkdoo2_1280.png

I'm almost done with SecretStarTrekMan's episode list. I've watched a couple of other episodes in-between as well, and I really am happy to have watched all this. Like Ben said, you can see a lot of stuff that inspired some of the sci-fi stuff of Lost, especially in time-related episodes. It's fun. I think the next episode is the big Finale. Look forward to it!

They are really great, and subtily terrifying. Maybe because JeanLuc looks so much like a Mysteron.

It's ok, i get terrified by certain things.

Also, the guy I'm thinking of is from Thunderbirds, not Captain Scarlet.

the_hood.jpg

Those are looking nice, JKO. I'd say Picard is too beefy in the upper body, though. He always strikes me as quite a skinny, physically non-threatening captain.

I'm also working through SAM's list and these episodes are mostly crackers - I'm finally seeing why Star Trek is so popular! I'm also trying to catch all Q, Borg and Lore episodes, which are generally pretty good. Soon I'll be asking for a similar list for DS9, though from what I know of the series, the Dominion War arc might make that trickier (plus I think SAM may have said he doesn't know it as well - I'll be lost!). I'm also looking forward to re-watching Generations and First Contact (I won't bother with the other two TNG flicks).

One thing that surprised me watching TNG is that Gates McFadden is rather beautiful; it's just very well hidden by her awful hair and sappy character.

Hooray!

It's a shame you're doing them in uniform, otherwise you could have Picard in one of his hideous v-neck things with his grey chest hair poking out.