Sign in to follow this  
youmeyou

Battlethumbs 4

Hey thumbs. Here is a game I will be playing many hours of and would enjoy company whilst doing so! My origin name is fancifulnotion. Hit me up if you also enjoy battling on fields!

I'll be playing in a few weeks when I have a computer that can handle it at more than 1 FPS.

Anyone playing this on PS4?  I'd love to get a game going with people who a)use in-game voice and b)know what they're doing and can tell me what to do.  I am generally terrible at the game, but have finally started having some success focusing on my medic skills--still posting like a 0.25 KDR, but being useful to my team and scoring a respectable number of points.

I was playing, but I found the game to be frustrating and inconvenient.

I don't really have any interest in the Hardline beta but I have been playing BF4 on PS4 for the last couple weeks and goddamn that game is fun. With the recent patches it is working wonderfully and I have yet to run into any of the issues that were plaguing the game previously.

If anyone wants to join up, I've been playing fairly regularly in the evenings with a few other friends. PSN ID: xXZeusthecatXx

I can't deny it, this game is absolutely brilliant. I'm glad I waited for the technical issues, extra content, etc to be sorted out because this is just taking me right back to the fun days of discovering Battlefield 2 for the first time. I'm surprised by how well everything works on the PS4 pad too, helicopters in particular were clearly destined for this kind of control. I'm still getting used to aiming with the stick but it's not as much of a departure as I expected from the mouse that I've always used in Battlefield games — I just need to master adjusting the stick with softer and varying touch rather than always mashing it in a certain direction when I'm getting shot at and panic.

I guess my PSN ID is RyanJW seeing as that's what comes up in multiplayer.

10568825_10204641320538017_8381766806719

I guess I'd probably have to have the DLC to play this nowadays? I didn't buy the season pass because I bought a few season passes before that I didn't use at all.

I don't have any of the DLC yet and I've been playing just fine. I don't know what happens if I'm on a server where DLC maps come up though, I guess I'll just get kicked. I'll be getting it once I feel that the standard stuff is wearing thin, but in all honesty there's a shitload of stuff there in the base game. I should look into what the DLC actually contains I guess.

I was delighted to see how active the PS4 scene is for Battlefield 4. I was worried that coming in quite late things would be getting quiet, but it's absolutely packed with servers and players at all times. I saw something last week saying that the PS4 version is maintaining higher player counts than even the PC version.

Huh, maybe I'll give it a shot. I last played on PS3 when the game first came out, but I bought the PS4 upgrade in foresight and have yet to actually play it on PS4. Particularly if the DLC-integration isn't blatantly exclusionary in nature, as it felt last time I played a COD game long after release with no DLC.

I kind of wonder how many people are actually using/hosting the DLC. It's basically the price of the game again so I'd be pretty pissed off to get it and find that there are hardly any servers running it. I guess at least the weapons carry over into the regular game.

The PS4 version should be a big step up for you. As someone who's played all the PC Battlefield games, I have to say that this feels remarkably authentic to that experience. Comparatively, I think the last-gen console renditions were good but very different games due to the smaller numbers of players and such. This shit is basically 99% 64-man servers and they're always full — the chaos is fantastic, and what has always separated Battlefield from other military shooters for me.

I think the quality of the PS4 graphics and frame rate is commendable too. After struggling with the PC version of Battlefield 3 on practically minimum graphics and sub-30 FPS, this is like a dream.

Did I ever mention that I fucking hate jets in Battlefield games?

Haha, yeah. 

I haven't been able to fly anything since the planes in 1942. Ah, Spitfires and Zeros how I miss thee. 

So it turns out this game is fucking addictive. I like these kinds of games as it is, but Battlefield 4 seems to have hit a series high in terms of its shooter equivalent of 'one more turn'. As I learn how I like to play the game best, I find myself craving the equipment that facilitates it. And it takes god damn ages to unlock said equipment, so I tend to dabble in other things as well but then I discover even more things I enjoy doing but would be so much easier if I just had that certain attachment for my gun...

But it is a lot of fun. Genuinely a great game, I'd so go far as to say the best Battlefield second to the magnificent Battlefield 2142. I mean it is probably a better game, but there's something about that sci-fi atmosphere I just can't get over. It very much delivers the full Battlefield experience, especially with the return of the commander role. The level design is also absolutely excellent, a marked step up from Battlefield 3 that combines optimum size (it's very easy for Battlefield maps to be too big or too small) with great use of destruction to genuinely change the flow. For vehicle fans like myself, there's more depth to them than ever thanks to there being five slots worth of stuff you can customise for most of them to really suit your style — it's like a whole game in itself.

It also turns out that the PlayStation 4's recording feature is really cool. I just leave it recording all the time with no ill effect, and if I happen to do something interesting I can press a couple of buttons and it's saved forever. I've been putting some of my adventures up on YouTube.

Launching a vehicle into the sky:

Bringing down the dam with one rocket (kind of):

Saving myself from a tank on the head, which also revealed some weird double tank glitch:

... and what shooter would be complete without these immersion-breaking arse holes?

I've been getting back into this game over the last few nights and it is really really good! Everything Thrik said above is spot on and this is an incredibly fun multiplayer game.

I also realized I am only 3 trophies away from the platinum on this and figured I would start with trying to get the trophy for successfully delivering and detonating 5 bombs in Obliteration mode. It has proven to be incredibly challenging (only 1 successful delivery in over 5 hours of playing Obliteration) but has also been an absolute blast. So many extremely close calls where the bomb is about to detonate and then some asshole blows my face off and disarms it at the last second. This mode is just constant edge-of-your-seat, white knuckle excitement.

As far as the classes go, I have really gotten into a good groove with the assault/medic class. I have also put in a decent amount of time with the engineer class but even with vehicle heavy levels I tend to find myself switching back to the assault class to stay more in my comfort zone. I absolutely suck with recon so haven't really done much with that and support doesn't seem that interesting to me but as I play more I'm sure I'll start to delve into those further. 

If anyone else is still playing this, hit me up on PSN. I hope to keep this in my rotation for the foreseeable future and may even pick up some DLC at some point if the vanilla maps ever get old.

Got the Platinum on this last week and I still hadn't had enough so I went ahead and purchased Battlefield Premium and downloaded the 5 additional map packs. So far I'm really liking all of the additional maps and they all seem at least on par or better than the base maps that came with the game, which were already pretty damn solid.

I also started branching out more and have taken a break from exclusively playing Assault and Engineer to level up my Recon and Support kits. I didn't expect to like either of those classes nearly as much as Assault and Engineer but as I unlock guns and attachments and try out different equipment for each I am finding them super fun! It really is impressive how well they balanced each class and how you can always find a solid build to switch to if you need to adjust your strategy to counter whatever the opposing team is doing.

Between leveling up classes, guns, land vehicles, choppers, and jets and trying to complete assignments, this game has its hooks in pretty deep. I keep meaning to go back to Destiny since I had only just started but BF4 multiplayer has just been gaming nirvana for me lately. 

I dunno man, I've been trying to find a shooter to get addicted to ever since BLOPS2 and it still hasn't happened yet. Don't really know if Hardline is going to do it for me if 4 didn't.

I'm skipping Hardline. At this point, BF4 has become one of my favorite multiplayer shooters of all time and there is more than enough content to keep me interested for a long time. If your issues with 4 had to do with the shitty multiplayer connection issues, then I would recommend giving it another shot as I have had almost no issues over the last 9 months or so. If it's more of an issue with how Battlefield plays though, then I'm not sure Hardline is going to do much for you as their multiplayer modes sound more or less like re-skins or re-imaginings of modes in previous games. 

I skipped 4 and the last several CODs so I am kind of itching for a multiplayer shooter. I really dig it so far.