Problem Machine

Hearthstone: Because what Magic really needed was F2P mechanics

Are you still getting that discon mington?

i haven't tried again since, but thats a nice little reminder. i'll login to battlenet on my work computer and see if that will stop it from reconnecting to the frozen game eveytime i login on the ipad

finally finished my client-side graphics mod to replace all the bikini-armor units (30 in all! I probably missed some that I don't own yet, though) with chickens and swamp oozes and etc, so I will probably return to playing this more now (playing it before just reminded me I wasn't finished =)

Played a couple more games earlier, got my ass handed to me. Realised this games not for me and made me want to start playing street fighter again properly. God I hope it coming out on ps4, I'll buy myself a phat new fight stick and lock myself away for the summer

I'm just going to say it. Hearthstone is a poor mans street fighter

Ultra SF4 comes out in June sometime and Evo starts on July 11th. Having just one month to learn the game seems a bit crazy, but it'll probably make for a really exciting tournament. Can't wait

Yeah, I tried the arenas but, again, I suck at making decks and I often don't have a clue what to choose. I've only done one arena run, as your first one is free, and I got destroyed 0-3 which was pretty damn demoralising. My friend told me what deck to build, and he said I got a bad draw, but even still I got utterly demolished. 

I just got a mudhole stomped in me in much the same way. The Arena is a really clever way to get you to pay in the early stages, I think. You're not likely to pay $1.99 to go in to get stamped on, but you will need to learn how to use various characters to avoid getting stamped on. And most of the decks need specials to be effective. So you stick with mage, and get murdered in the Arena, or you diversify, and buy packs...

I just had my second Arena run and got TWO WHOLE WINS! My first run I only had a single win, so this was pretty huge for me. The reward at the end was the same , though, which was pretty disappointing..

I watched Trump's stream quite a lot when I was playing, and that plus a reasonably large amount of Mgic experience made it so I could reliably make my gold back from arenas. Good times.

I just had my second Arena run and got TWO WHOLE WINS! My first run I only had a single win, so this was pretty huge for me. The reward at the end was the same , though, which was pretty disappointing..

You probably got slightly more gold or something.

I got NO GOLD! Just whatever that substance is that's used for card-crafting.. :sad: I probably got more of that, I guess.

I have been on a hard losing streak. I'm trying to be more patient, really taking into account the idea that playing a card just because i can is not always the best move. But yeah, I'm losing non stop. Is it my decks? I don't know.

I have been on a hard losing streak. I'm trying to be more patient, really taking into account the idea that playing a card just because i can is not always the best move. But yeah, I'm losing non stop. Is it my decks? I don't know.

The big thing to remember is that this is a game which has a quite mature meta game. Perhaps following Osmosisch's lead and watching a good streamer play might be a good idea. Seeing someone talk about their choices when drafting or playing can be a hugely useful thing.

On a separate note I've found I've been only playing on the ipad only since the release, it really feels like the natural format for the game.

I LOVE the design on this game.  I find myself looping around like a maniac, and everywhere I go I'm learning how to play.

- Practice when I'm fitting in a game at moment I could be distracted or taken away, or when starting out a new hero.  Losing to a computer feels so much easier.

- Play to complete the daily challenges.  Because I have those daily challenges to keep an eye on, winning or losing feels secondary to the inevitable attrition towards completing these short-term goals.  1v1 games have always scared me away because the focus is so heavily weighted towards simply winning or losing.  Hearthstone side-steps that.

- Earn enough gold to compete in the arena where I'm FORCED to build a deck.  Knowing that I'm not going up against people's perfected decks makes this less daunting.  Not knowing all the cards or the meta game makes the prospect of making decks early on feel like a chore, so I would normally just not do it.  But the arena FORCES me to learn.  I lose three games in a row and I get a pack of cards. Cool.

Everywhere I go I'm learning and it's fun!

My arena play has improved substantially since I started watching Trump's arena runs.  Went from a typical 2 or 3 win per run to consistently hitting at least 3, and up to 6 wins per run.

Still not ventured into arena yet. I paid for a few packs of cards (basically as a Thanks Blizzard! This is fun!) but I don't want to spend any real money to get into arena. What do you get out of doing arena?

You always get a pack of cards. I just go for daily challenges until I have 150 gold, spend it on Arena instead of cashing out for one pack regularly, because it's more fun and you still always get one pack. And if you're good you get more!

Oh cool!

I've not been playing much recently because I dropped my bike lock onto my ipad. Get sad every time I see the cracked screen. Keep thinking about it though! That and Dark Souls have been occupying my thoughts way too much at the moment. 

How do people feel about the concede option?

At this point I've only seen one other opponent use it on me, but I use it pretty liberally.  There's a rough calculation where if I see that my cards are terrible and I have a one in a million chance of coming back I'd rather concede and move on to the next game.  Is this bad form?

We had a pretty huge discussion about this sort of thing in the Dota Today thread, but something about 1v1 makes it feel like a different case.

I only use it when I'm very close to sure that I'm going to lose.  Had a game last night where I was down to 5 health, and my opponent was at 25, and I managed to pull out a win, so this is more a question of how I'm affecting my opponent that I'm conceding to, rather than thinking about it from my perspective.

Very surprised that I haven't had any opponents idle.  Some take a ton of time to think, but no one's run down the timer yet.

Also had my first horrifying moment last night: had been playing on my iPad 2, and decided to move it to the computer.  Find a match and it asks me to pick which cards to discard.  I immediately start poking the screen.  Made me feel like a huge idiot.  :D

I love the concede option. I can usually see a few moved ahead, and if I make a clear mistake towards the end I'll hit it. No point in wasting time.

I also use it when my girlfriend nags me to stop playing. "You see what you did?! You made me lose!" Then I can proceed to do the washing up while acting indignant and like a video game martyr.

I think the concede option is useful for situations where you know for sure you are going to lose, such as when they kill your taunt dude with a spell, but you still have to wait for all the minions to attack. 

I very rarely concede because I operate under the assumption that the opponent is, like me, a fallible fleshbag who is prone to fucking up sure victories. It's won me a few games.

Having played mage most of my hearthstone career the concede button rarely get used early because if my opponents under 16-17 health, too many pyros & fireballs have flown into a unsuspecting opponents face for me to call it quits even if my agro engine runs out of steam.

That said if i'm playing a bad matchup and i don't get the cards i need to make a breakthrough and they do get the cards they need to dominate me i will sometimes throw in the towel.

Started up an arena run last night, and actually had to quit and go to bed before I'd lost 3 times.  Currently 10 - 2, eager to get back and finish it off tonight.  A really great Shaman draft deck.  3 Fire Elementals, a Forked Lightning, a Lightning Storm, and a semi-situational Black Knight.  Plus a host of just plain old good cards like Chillwind Yeti, and Ooze.  Oh, and a Mana Tide totem.  One game that sucker was up something like 9 turns, the card advantage was glorious.  My best run yet.

I've tried earning all the basic cards by playing PvE but the number never seems to go up any more. Is it luck, or do they stop handing out basic cards for all decks after a while?

I'd like to try out all the classes, but hate running with a deck missing basic cards.