clyde

Intoxicated:

I can't drink beer any more. I need a new drink. I tried G&T and it was very bitter:/

Those who will be undertaking the Sisyphean task of finding a great-tasting, pumpkin-flavored, get-you-fall-down-drunk drink...

Last year I discovered McKenzie's Pumpkin Jack: http://www.mckenziesbeverages.com/varieties/ It's pretty damn sweet, but I think it tastes like pumpkin pie and that's all I ever wanted.

Sadly it isn't available on the western seaboard yet: http://www.mckenziesbeverages.com/find-mckenzies/

Edit: Also, I had a really damn good bottle of port last weekend but I forget the name. I'll check back later and post it.

I can have anything except beer. If i had a more restricted list this might be easier, but it is just anything except beer. I would go for rum and coke or something, but that is more a "later in the night" drink in my mind, and they are really sweet so i can imagine it getting sickly if i was drinking it an entire night.

I can't drink beer any more. I need a new drink. I tried G&T and it was very bitter:/

How are you with ginger ale/beer? Moscow Mules and Dark & Stormys are tasty, Whiskey sours are good, Vodka Tonics.

Oooh. That might be tasty. I'm coeliac so it is the gluten in beer that is the problem. I guess with ginger beer i might just have to check that no colours or anything in it have any gluten.

Things I like that aren't beers:

Dirty Shirley Temples

Cheap White Zinfandels

OJ & Gin

Screwdrivers

Cheap champagne

I really like sweet drinks, but I drink in moderation and am not prone to hangovers so YMMV on my sugar drinks.

edit: I also really like ciders and try a ton of different varieties.

I'm actually worried that the next beer trend will be super sour beers. A couple of breweries in my area have been cranking out sours, a few of which are so sour as to be undrinkable.

That was my experience the last time I visited Portland (probably over a year ago). Had a ton of sour beers, which I remember was a thing I used to enjoy, but all of the ones I tried were too sour to actually enjoy a pint of it.

That being said, the variety of beer in Portland was easily superior to what is typically available in San Francisco.

I cannot remember the last time I had an IPA where I thought, "Oh wow that is a new and different flavor/idea." Granted I hate hops so I am a bit bias, but I think the basic idea is that every microbrewery is making IPAs and neglecting all the other kinds of beer that they could innovate with. There are actually several cases of breweries getting into fights over beer names because they keep using the same hop puns.

I can definitely enjoy a super hoppy beer, but I'm still on board with this. 

Seemed like when I was first getting into drinking nice beer, the trend was towards imitating Belgian style beers (or at least that's what I was aware of) and I wish more brewers would get back into that just because the variety of Belgian beers is incredible.

I would commit various small crimes to get American breweries to dive in hard on Belgians. There are a number of places that carry a nice selection of bottles, but they're rarely on tap.

Uhhhh.

UHHHHHHH

Loitering (in front of various breweries, demanding Belgians)

Graffiti (BADFINGER 4 BELGIUMS (misspelled, of course))

I would POST BILLS where you are supposed to post no bills.

I'm committed dangit!

ah, found the problem.  need to lose the "T" and find a better "G"

Just like craft/microbrew beer there are micro distilleries putting out some of the best spirits out there.  Locally in Chicago there is this place North Shore Distillery and the #11 they offer is pretty tasty.  I just did some branding/sign work for these guys CH Distillery - but didnt get any free samples

My personal favorite main stream gin is Tanqueray, served over ice with lime on the side.  Could always go Tanqueray-10 if you want it pre-limed/sweeter.

Alternate non-beer drinks/mixers - Sake (certain brands) can be gluten free.  I was at a restaurant that didnt get a full liquor license and was using Sake to make all sorts of martini's that would normally need top-shelf spirits

Another suggestion is to order a G&T from another bar, or to ask for an additional lime (the citrus can mask a lot of different flavours). It might just be the case that your palate is used to one thing and now that you're switching you might need to force yourself to try new things repeatedly.

I went through a similar thing when I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 19. I had to change my drinking habits, and part of that was trying various spirits multiple times until I got used to them.

I don't drink them often so I can't recommend any specific brands (maybe some others in here can), but some of the more expensive burbouns or whiskeys out there can actually be really good straight up. Maybe not for everyone but worth trying some out next time you're at a bar.

I'm not an expert, but whiskey is definitely my drink of choice. I wouldn't recommend diving straight into an expensive bottle of Scotch or Irish whiskey, but maybe try to find a whiskey tasting so you can get a taste of a few different bottlings and someone informed telling you what to look out for in terms of flavour and how it is best served.

Also, I think dibs is in Ireland (as am I), where buying whiskey in a bar usually comes with an extortionate price. It's more for when you know what you want, rather than experimenting and trying new things.

I can have anything except beer. If i had a more restricted list this might be easier, but it is just anything except beer. I would go for rum and coke or something, but that is more a "later in the night" drink in my mind, and they are really sweet so i can imagine it getting sickly if i was drinking it an entire night.

I can totally drink rum and coke an entire night, but I prefer Coke Zero. Some rums also work with Dr. Pepper (Plantation White). With normal coke that would be insane amounts of sugar. I don't currently drink much, but rum is pretty much the only strong liquor that I can stand. Well, vodka shots as well occasionally, if necessary.

Farmers markets around here have a Hopped Apple Cider that the stated goal of is to taste as much like beer as possible but remain gluten free. I don't know if they're hitting that goal, but the hops create a pretty good flavor that's not as overbearing as an IPA.

Mixed drinks wise, I prefer Manhattans, though there's a pretty wide range of quality and style to them so I don't get them just anywhere.

Also, wine is awesome.

The cocktail name 'Manhattan' is too close to the wrestling term 'Manhattan Drop' for me to think about drinking one without anticipating an experience of great discomfort and pain afterwards. Or to imagine being dropped onto my butt-bone by a New York tower block at night.

Farmers markets around here have a Hopped Apple Cider that the stated goal of is to taste as much like beer as possible but remain gluten free. I don't know if they're hitting that goal, but the hops create a pretty good flavor that's not as overbearing as an IPA.

Mixed drinks wise, I prefer Manhattans, though there's a pretty wide range of quality and style to them so I don't get them just anywhere.

Also, wine is awesome.

Manhattans and Old Fashioneds are cocktails I enjoy, but they are most certainly cocktails that enhance the whiskey they are made with, and thus suffer from inferior ingredients. Ginger ale and whiskey (Rye and Ginger) is my preferred method for dealing with a bad whiskey.

Also, I recently discovered that a local craft brewery has a deal at their brewery store that essentially matches price with the cheapest widely available beers. I have enjoyed several locally made blonde lagers tonight, woooooooo.

I got a grapefruit shandy that i cannot recommend because it does not taste like beer, it tastes like juice, and I did a sake bomb and now i'm on twitter talking about how I drink milk with literally every meal because I was raised by 2 lovely Midwesterners that made me drink milk with meals, and went to a college with a milk dispenser that it never occurred to me that other people don't just drink 2% milk at least once a day.