clyde

Intoxicated:

Yeah, I was thinking that. It does make some rhythmic noise on higher speeds, but that may also just be the noise from air movement, because it can generate quite a lot of movement. There seems to be some slight vibration, but it's mounted on a ball mount so it may be natural that it moves slightly. My projector is currently making way more noise than the fan so it's hard to even hear the fan noise.

ive spent the last half hour looking at their website & comparing tech sheets to other traditional ceiling fans.  i'd love to hear back on the functionality of these fans - we have two that run almost all day in the summer opposed to the A/C unit - if these are quieter and smoother (less air buffeting) i'm sold / if they are more efficient i can sell to the other half

also my computer/office gets toasty - a super slick low profile polished aluminum silent fan would be so exciting

did you get the base or the "senseme"?, that seems like a lot of added tech for low yield - who needs to have a motion controller on their fan - defeats the purpose of continually cooling the room

I don't know that much about this stuff, but it seemed that Haiku fans are the most efficient. But since they can cost several times the price of other fans (perhaps especially in countries such as mine, where only one seller sells them) I'm not sure the efficiency itself is an argument. But for me it seemed like almost everything about this fan is good or better than others, not least that it looks cool where as most fans I wouldn't want to put in my living room for the looks.

Again, I may not have the best clue about this, and I don't/can't have an air conditioner, but as far as I understood so far, the purpose of the fan is not so much to actually cool the room down, but to make it feel more cool than it is (this is what it seems to be doing for me at the moment, although I haven't checked yet if there's any temperature change). So in that sense the senseme makes sense -- if it doesn't really cool the room down it shouldn't be running when I'm not there. I set it to stop 5 minutes after sensing motion and now as I'm sitting in my couch I find that I have to make some random movement occasionally to make it not stop. It defaulted to 10 minutes, maybe should have left it there. Also my logic was that if I'm already getting a very expensive fan, might as well pay a little extra and get the smart version.

I expect in the winter it makes more sense to have it running on low constantly to bring the warm air back down.

right, the moving air is the illusion of cooling due to evaporation.  We have high ceilings and pets so the bedroom fan runs at low all day on hot days to give them solace and keep the inside-outside air circulating.  the main room when we are home (all day when i forget)

again correct on the energy efficiency front - it is extremely efficient but the x4-5 price negates any serious savings until many years down the line.

i hope you enjoy it, they are beautiful looking devices.    i am still going to bring it up for our main room - it has a off white/green tinted fan right now, pretty gross

I'm going to be very sad when summer ends and all the sours & wheat beers go away. At least the Oktoberfests are good, but it's a long winter of porters & stouts which I do not like.

Might be the wrong thread to keep talking about fans, but it's been here two days now and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't hear it at all, and it functions exactly like I imagined, forcing cool air to move through the corner of the living room where no air ever went before, and generally keeping the whole room cooler. I wish I had gotten it just a week earlier though, as the weather outside also cooled down just days before I got the fan installed and I didn't get to see how well it functions on the really hot days.

Also I'm happy with the motion sensor as it means I don't have to mess with turning it on and off at all. I turned the timer to 15 minutes and the fan is now working all the time when I'm in the living room, and shuts down 15 minutes after I leave. I still keep the remote close to turn it up/down occasionally though, but maybe it will even learn to do that with the learning smart mode...

I'm going to be very sad when summer ends and all the sours & wheat beers go away. At least the Oktoberfests are good, but it's a long winter of porters & stouts which I do not like.

Stouts and porters were the last styles I was able to get my head around. I found trying some really punchy ones is what tipped me over into understanding the appeal. If you ever see a Peche Mortel or Aphodisiaque by Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel, those were the stouts that pushed me over.

The end of summer also means the annual tradition of buying a pumpkin beer and regretting it.

The end of summer also means the annual tradition of buying a pumpkin beer and regretting it.

This year will be different, though. This year they'll be good.

I can feel it in my bones.

I don't like the bitterness in something like coffee, which is why I bounce off of porters & stouts so hard. I don't like bitter flavors in general, which is why I don't like Pale Ales of any kind, as the hoppy bitterness flavor makes me gag.

Porters and stouts are the best! I wish there were more porters and stouts and less goddamn IPAs.

It's just always IPAs all the time. Boo.

I don't find dark beers to be bitter at all!

Porters & stouts are bitter like coffee or unsweeted cocoa is bitter. I don't like pretty much any bitter flavors including those, as well as the hop flavors in a IPA.

(If we look at IBUs which really only measures hoppiness, not overall bitterness Dogfish Head's 90 minute IPA has an IBU count of 90, a porter like Sierra Nevada's has a 32, a local Dry Hopped Lager (Sudwerk) has a 28, and Weihenstephaner's Hefe Weissbier , the only beer on this list I do like, has a 20.)

I currently have a phase of "the bigger IBU the better". I mostly like IPAs and other pale ales, Amber ales. Can't stand lagers now, and some stouts I like a lot.

I had a lambic phase before this.

I currently have a phase of "the bigger IBU the better". I mostly like IPAs and other pale ales, Amber ales. Can't stand lagers now, and some stouts I like a lot.

I had a lambic phase before this.

Oh, I see. You're literally every microbrewery!

No, no. I'm not bitter. Like every IPA.

If you think it's hard to find anything but IPAs, don't bother coming to California. Like every brewery has three different IPAs of some kind, like they'll have a Session IPA, a plain IPA and a double IPA or some nonsense, and I'm lucky if I can find a wheat or a white or a sour or something that isn't $12 for a 6 pack that I haven't had before. I like trying new beers & ciders!

(https://untappd.com/user/jennegatron here's how I track what I have and haven't tried before.)

Porters and stouts are the best! I wish there were more porters and stouts and less goddamn IPAs.

I agree strongly with this sentiment. I don't even hate IPAs (although I prefer pale ales), but their ubiquity is tiresome.

I don't really see why it's bad that one type beer, even the one I don't like most, is ubiquitous? I mean most supermarket shelves are still full of piss poor mass market beers aren't they? I still manage to find something there usually. And in specialty shops/bars there should still be something for everyone. And at least here it's definitely not all about IPA (yet?)

I don't really see why it's bad that one type beer, even the one I don't like most, is ubiquitous? I mean most supermarket shelves are still full of piss poor mass market beers aren't they? I still manage to find something there usually. And in specialty shops/bars there should still be something for everyone. And at least here it's definitely not all about IPA (yet?)

In St. Louis, which has a fairly robust beer-brewing tradition both at the corporate and craft level, it's still a little ridiculous. The average bar will have six or eight beers on draft and at least three to five of them will be pale ale or IPA, guaranteed. I drink those sometimes, but they're not really a pillar of my beer consumption, and even my hops-loving girlfriend gets sick of the wall-to-wall IPAs from local breweries. Thankfully, saisons are becoming popular here and that's shaking up the pale scene a bit. I think this editorial has it right, although probably not to the degree stated: the hoppiness of craft beer is an easy way to distinguish it from Bud Light and its ilk, plus it's the most tangible way that brewers can control the flavor and experience of the beer they make, so a lot of them are leaning probably a bit too much on that one ingredient.

I cannot remember the last time I had an IPA where I thought, "Oh wow that is a new and different flavor/idea." Granted I hate hops so I am a bit bias, but I think the basic idea is that every microbrewery is making IPAs and neglecting all the other kinds of beer that they could innovate with. There are actually several cases of breweries getting into fights over beer names because they keep using the same hop puns.

I was looking for this link. 

I think at this point there's a lot of new drinkers who feel like they have to say they like IPA because it's hipster cool homebrew whatever. I know I tried to find the good qualities for a time when everyone would push them on me years ago.

Shit's nasty.

Nope. Well, maybe some folks.

I like IPAs, but am growing weary of their prevalence here in Seattle. I appreciate milder styles and wish there was more diversity.

Because I want people to do new and interesting things with beers that I like.

We went to a nice taproom on Saturday. They have 18 non-macro beers on draft right now, and 11 of them are Ales or IPAs. While I'll grant you that it's summer and many of the flavors are in season, it's really tiresome. 

I live in Delaware, home of Dogfish Head, aka home of THE ubiquitous micro brew 60 minute IPA. it's not like it's Denver or anything, but the Philadelphia area has some really interesting breweries. Back in the early 2000s, the "in" thing for micro brewers was how high you could push the ABV. It was like it was a competition. That fell out of favor a bit, and has been replaced with how many fucking hops you can throw in and still call it a beer. That article mentions Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I really like Sierra Nevada! It is not super hoppy! But so, so many beers are just ramming hops down my throat. I just want interesting stuff that I can actually taste. I don't hate IPAs. I hate that they're made to the exclusion of other interesting styles.

I have friends that love hops. Love, love, love hops. There's a brewery 30 minutes from me that makes a beer called Hop Devil. It's too fucking much. I'm the weird one in the group and I can't stand it.

I'm actually worried that the next beer trend will be super sour beers. A couple of breweries in my area have been cranking out sours, a few of which are so sour as to be undrinkable.

undrinkable.

sounds like beer all right U: U: U: