clyde

Intoxicated:

I bought a bottle of G&J Greenall's gin, which is a brand I'd never seen before. Apparently they're one of the oldest gin producers in the UK, they make Bombay among others, but this is the first I've ever seen the bottle. I enjoyed it. Light, good in a G&T without a lime (which I didn't have). This has INCREDIBLY MIXED REVIEWS. On one site the 10-12 comments were almost all overwhelmingly positive, 4-5 stars. On another, which reviewed the gin unfavorably, they were almost all negative. I feel like I got decent value for $15 and the bottle looks cool.

IS THIS THE THREAD WHERE i DRUNK POST? MEGA DURNK1! NIGHT ALL

My choices of alcohol at home are abysmal right now, so I'm drinking Glacier Cherry Gatorade mixed with Canadian Whiskey that somehow has maple syrup in it? It basically tastes like cherry cough syrup and it's actually pretty great, when you don't think about what it's composed of.

Someone suggest me a nice alcoholic beverage to just have at home.

I have a history of enjoying rum and I've been known to try enjoying scotch but man is that stuff strong. I remember one time I had scotch and I was like "wow this is so smooth and delicious" but I can't remember what it was. ):

Also a nice white Russian is like my favorite drink so I guess I should get some vodka and Kahlua?

Have you tried any Swedish fruity cider, like Kopparberg or Rekorderlig? (I have no idea what's available there)

My choices of alcohol at home are abysmal right now, so I'm drinking Glacier Cherry Gatorade mixed with Canadian Whiskey that somehow has maple syrup in it? It basically tastes like cherry cough syrup and it's actually pretty great, when you don't think about what it's composed of.

I've been enjoying weird whiskies lately. The shop by my house started stocking something called Punjabi Club, which is Canadian whiskey prepared with Indian spices. It's fucking delicious. That said, I've done the "HEY IF GATORADE WORKS AGAINST A HANGOVER THEN I SHOULD JUST MIX THE ALCOHOL WITH IT AND BE A SUPERHERO" thing. I hope you feel okay in the morning. That shit hurt.

Have you tried any Swedish fruity cider, like Kopparberg or Rekorderlig? (I have no idea what's available there)

I don't like ciders or beers, unfortunately!

There is a certain kind of liberation in realizing that you don't know the first thing about whiskey and getting a 9 dollar bottle and being fine with that.

I have a history of enjoying rum and I've been known to try enjoying scotch but man is that stuff strong. I remember one time I had scotch and I was like "wow this is so smooth and delicious" but I can't remember what it was. ):

Also a nice white Russian is like my favorite drink so I guess I should get some vodka and Kahlua?

I really, really like Macallan, all varieties. It's really expensive, so this isn't just "try a bottle!" but if you remember liking a smooth and delicious scotch this is probably similar.

I like Kraken for dark rums. It's about the only one I can stand, I'm not much of a rum drinker. I do also like a Dark and Stormy, which is Gosling Rum and ginger beer (with a dash of bitters if you're fancy that way).

I have Kraken on top of my fridge. Not really a rum guy, but I like that one a lot. I second Macallan. Personally I prefer the more heavily peated scotches (Lagavulin is tops, Laphroaig in a pinch), but Macallan is always a crowd-pleaser to friends who are a little bit into scotch or curious about it. A buddy of mine who likes scotch but hadn't tried it before said that the Amber was his new favourite after a glass of it. It's good stuff. For what it's worth, as my stepdad ages, Macallan is also one of the few that he can have after dinner that he doesn't end up with a headache from later, so it's easier on your body than some others as well.

(Having a glass of Punjabi Club right now. One rock, nothing else. Yummmmm...)

I keep cheap whiskey at all times (Evan Williams, $22 for a 1.75L bottle), as well as one bottle of scotch, and I tend to rotate those to try different types.  The last 3 I've had have been Glendronach 10, Glenfiddich 12, and Cardhu 12.  The Glendronach was more on the harsh and oaky end, the Cardhu comes on strong but goes out smooth, and the Glenfiddich was pretty smooth all around.  I used a splash of water with the Glendronach, but the other two are just perfect straight.

I don't mind also keeping some higher-end whiskey as well, but the scotch and cheap whiskey are the stuff where, when I run out, I make a point to go replace them.

Scotch and Soda, Whisky Sour, and Rum and Coke are all really simple mixed drinks that you can make at home with those preferences, with the bonus that the mixers don't go bad so if you're only drinking once or twice a month you'll be ok. You can also make a passable White Russian with milk instead of cream, sparing you having to buy an additional ingredient that spoils. If you're drinking often though, getting some cream instead does make a difference.

Edit: Scotch wise, I like Highland scotches myself, my favorite being Glenmorangie. The more peaty scotches like Macallan and the others that Miffy mentioned are a completely different taste, so it's very possible that you might like some and not others. I thought I hated scotch because my friend only ever brought over Lagavulin, but there's a huge variety out there.

Rye and Ginger is popular around these parts, take rye whiskey and ginger ale and mix in similar portions to Rum and Coke. Definitely a much drier drink than a lot of cocktails. Use Canadian Club and Canada Dry for the authentic* experience. I try to keep cheap whiskey around for this kind of drink, also really helped me finish off a bottle of spiced whiskey I got for christmas.

*believe it or not, Canadians don't associate either brand as any sort of national icon or point of pride.

I keep hearing people talk about Rye and Ginger, I'm going to have to try it some time.

Meanwhile, I'm not intoxicated, but I did have a beer for the first time in a few months. It was a Waterloo Dark. I liked it.

Yes! I am alive! Things have been a bit busy for me the past little while so I haven't really been on here much. I'm probably going to be posting in the "Life" thread about it in more detail. But I'm doing alright. How have you been?

Also, going slightly back on topic... I hate not having a car, because I want to go and get a case of beer so I have something for the summer, but I hate having to carry something like that on the bus. Its big and bulky and a pain in the ass to carry.

Glad to hear you're doing all right. And no complaints here, just clogging up threads with my dumb bullshit as always.