clyde

Intoxicated:

Had my first bout with home-made Polish Spiritus at a wedding yesterday.  Everyone said it wasn't as strong as normal which was a little frightening - moral of the story I should just stick to beer.

I recently started drinking rum (cocktails), while previously been sticking with beer and wine. I'm not really good with strong alcohol, sipping is out of the question usually, and shots make me cough every time. I was trying out various rums in the 15-20€ range (I realize alcohol prices are very relative, that's the price range for e.g. the Bacardi or Captain Morgan rums here) and ended up buying about 10 rums from local shops over a month or so (most were on sale). My favourite so far is this, Santiago de Cuba Ron Añejo:

Santiago+de+Cuba+1cc.jpg

It seems to go especially well with coke, but I haven't tried it in other cocktails. I'm rather new to the world of cocktails actually, so I've only made cuba libres (or some variation), mojitos and piña coladas. I tried dark rum + Dr. Pepper but didn't like that much, even though I love Dr. Pepper. Maybe I should try again as I just mixed it rather randomly once and it might have been the wrong kind of Dr. Pepper.

Anyway, this rum is really smooth with coke, there is no unpleasant side taste. Almost every other rum I've tried has some unwanted side taste it seems (Captain Morgan Jamaica Rum being the worst so far). I've also tried it neat, and while it's slightly better than others, drinking neat isn't really for me, but on the rocks with a bit of carbonated water and a drop of lime juice added it's pretty good. IMHO, there is no point in ever buying Bacardi or Captain Morgan again when you can get this for about the same price. Except when you want white rum maybe... But then there is also Santiago De Cuba Ron Carta Blanca, in a similar bottle as the Añejo. That isn't as good as this, but I like it as well.

Yeah, that's a good one. But the other Bacardis are kind of meh.

I really dig the Kraken as far as rum goes, even though I bought my first bottle just because of the branding ¬¬

It is strong and spicy enough to cook with. I doused a heavy chocolate cake with it just yesterday and it came out delicious.

kraken_bottle.jpg

I'm not allowed to drink the Kraken anymore.  The less said about that, the better (rum is my devil drink). 

It is delicious though.

I don't like spiced rums, so I generally avoid Kraken and Capt. Morgan's. My go-to is Mount Gay, they have both a white and a dark and both are good.

Kraken is up there for me, prefer Whaler's or Gosling's though, since they both have the darkness without all the extra spice. I like the smooth molasses flavor of Whaler's for my dark & stormies. I'll have to give some of the other recs in this thread a shot though.

I have most of a bottle of Kraken sitting around at home. I got it as a leaving gift from my previous job, over 2 years ago now. I like it, I just can't drink spirits without a good reason, and certainly not if I'm the only person drinking.

Apparently I still haven't gotten over my rum buying addiction, and I bought two more rums that were on sale. One is a cheap rum, Carriba Blanco, and it's a piece of shit. I just wanted to try if cheap rums are really worse tasting, and at least this one is. I drank half of my coke'n'rum and then down the drain it went. The other one is usually more expensive, and even comes in a cylindrical cardboard case -- El Dorado 5 years cask aged. However, even taking a sniff I knew I wasn't going to like it and after being mixed into a coke'n'rum it went down the drain after a few sips. It has a too whiskey like taste for me and it's a taste I seemingly can't stand even watered down.

Then I tried my luck with Dr. Pepper again. The first time I tried with Plantation 3 star rum and that was actually pretty good. The second time I tried with my favourite Santiago de Cuba Añejo and it was still a bit meh. I guess that rum is just made for a great cuba libre and probably not much else. I kind of like it that I'm starting to develop a sense of which rums go well with which cocktails.

I decided to go wild early this afternoon and now I can't post anywhere but this thread. 

All day at work I was sketching ideas for how to expand my CloneJamJake game. I'll probably open Unity within the hour. I saw that the new Call of Duty was release so I watched the twitch stream for two rounds. For some reason I can't stop comparing Call of Duty to Titanfall, and watching the player's inability to attach to a wall I'm like "why bother?" I know that is unfair but....whatever. I haven't bought a game in two or three months anyway because I spend all my gaming-time either making them or playing the ones that people I communicate with make. Dragon Age comes out right after CloneJamPorpi ends, and I'm super psyched about that though. I hope the recognize that I took care of the Anders problem in a reasonable way.

Fuck Anders. When Sten turned on me I was a bit frightened, but after I beat the shit out of him everything was cool. Anders was a sociopath who just used the language of compassion.

It'll be weird playing a 60-hour game after playing 900 fifteen-minute ones. I haven't even gotten through the first mission of my free copy of Dishonored. It's so fucking long. 

Also there was a guy checking for photo I.D.s at the voting booth and I don't think he was in an official capacity. That was kinda unnerving. I think he was trying to destroy the Democrat-vote, but I also don't see how the actual officials would know that I'm me when I vote without my I.D. so I felt indignant without a definitive reason. 

Not hung over but had a bad night last night. I too tried a nice bistro burger thinking the protein would pep me up. Not great.

God damn, I just can't get over how great that Santiago de Cuba Añejo is with coke. It actually makes coke (zero) taste better. If I was not afraid of becoming a drunk I would drink this all the time. Also, unfortunately I'm just about to run out of coke and the stores are closed already.

Warming up with a Bavarian schwarzbier! After that, it's Call of Duty and Old Overholt whiskey.

Gonna be a nice, subdued night.

Wife and I drove 3 hours to pick this one up.  WORTH IT!!!!  http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14064/56082/

Otherwise I am happily bathing in the nostalgia of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale.  My dad used to drink it exclusively at the holidays when I was a teenager, so it brings back lots of memories.  Also it's just so perfectly bitter and crisp for a session beer.

Damn, now you made me open the one IPA that has been in my fridge for 2 months, since I mostly stopped drinking beer.

My workplace had a christmas party tonight and i had EIGHT count em EIGHT white russians its my frabovroite dnrk NO NOT BECAUSE OF THE FUCKING BIEG LWEBOWSKI GESUs

anyway im drunk hi nice to meet you frens

My workplace had a christmas party tonight and i had EIGHT count em EIGHT white russians its my frabovroite dnrk NO NOT BECAUSE OF THE FUCKING BIEG LWEBOWSKI GESUs

anyway im drunk hi nice to meet you frens

It sucks how a movie has completely ruined a fantastic drink. I hate people asking if I like TBL when I order a White Russian.

Yeah man me too! It's irritating and happens all the time. Also I don't recall being drunk enough to type like that but I guess I was. X:

Prosecco is as good or better than champagne, and generally cheaper.

There, I said it. Drink prosecco!

It's true.