clyde

Intoxicated:

tumblr_naw4qmqZqS1s7gx5to1_1280.pngIs there a cute name for when you read over your own feed because someone just followed you or made a friend-request that you confirmed? There should be; it's a thing.

In modern parlance, "Brand Self Confirmation"? I know what you mean, I do the exact same thing, but I've never heard anyone have a word for it. It's a gross thing to me. Like a first impression that lasts the last few months of your life. Ugh.

Hey, I like beer. 

Are any of you fine people using Untappd, the beer social network? I appreciate that "beer social network" is a repugnant combination of words, but the website has valid use as a tool for tracking the beers you have consumed. The site is based around the idea of a "check-in" to a beer you're drinking, and if it floats your boat, where you are drinking it. If you want to be my friend, here is profile. Act now and you can be my 4th!

Yay beer.

I feel like Crystal Light exists just to mix with mediocre liquor. I am so tipsy and i love oyu guys.

I got some sort of cold-sick thing 8 days ago and I have a personal rule that I can't drink alcohol when I'm sick. I'm still coughing up yellow phelgm every couple of hours so I am not fully recovered. I'm hoping to get wasted tommorow night. I miss the wine.

I just had my first beer in two weeks for the same reason! I missed you, tasty tasty hops.

I find a proper amount of alcohol (a single manhattan usually) helps me relax and get more sleep when I'm sick, without completely destroying my immune system.

Look what I bought today

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0043AA10W/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

ANGOSTURA Aromatic Bitters

Um I don't really know what I'm going to do with it yet :-/ drink it probably :) I want to make old fashioneds

I'm planning on buying some cocktail ingredients as I'm getting a bit bored of whiskey/rum and coke.

I almost bought some vermouth but I chickened out at the last minute

Those are pretty good bitters. I have some around for when I'm brave enough to make manhattans myself. The key to vermouth is that there are a lot of varieties of it, not just the two or three they sell in an average liquor store (at leas in washington state.)

I recommend this: http://www.specialitybrands.com/brands/antica-formula-vermouth

Edit: And remember, only a drop or two of the bitters. Those, in particular, are pretty strong.

Yeah I got a little bamboozled by the different types and thought I better do some vermouth research before I took the plunge.

What I need now is a quality bourbon

And a death star ice cube maker

Maker's 76 is usually only a couple bucks more expensive than regular makers, and much better tasting. The local place I love to go makes all theirs with Bulleit Burbon, and for a different sweet-ish tinge I like to go for Bulleit Rye on occasion.

Edit: And if you want to knock your socks off, Bookers.

Edit 2: Can you tell manhattans are one of my passions?

I was happy that this thread got revived, because I knew I'd be contributing to it tonight. I only have sad shit about girl troubles to post here, so I won't, but I love the camaraderie anyway.

I came home drunk last night and was going to post in here but then my power was out because of a storm so I couldn't. Also my phone's battery had just died as I walked into my apartment so I couldn't even resort to that. 

Except because I was drunk I was like "oh I'll just plug it in and let it charge a bit." Obviously, that didn't go over well.

I had 3 different pumpkin ales this year:

1. Dogfish Head Punkin - Probably the best-regarded pumpkin ale and usually extremely hard to find since they make it in low quantities and demand is high. This year I saw a whole lot more of it, and I think I liked this batch better than last year. It's not a strong added flavor, and their ales are all high quality (pretty strong too).

2. Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin - I had the Pumpkinhead variety from these guys last year and really liked it, this is the more expensive version. It's good but a bit more cloying than the Dogfish Head. Sweeter and not as strong.

3. Southern Tier Pumking - I had this tonight. It's very strong (8.6 I think) and a much more hoppy and intense beer flavor to go along with the strong pumpkin taste. It took some getting used to but I enjoyed it.

I'm finally reaching a point of intoxication again. And college radio type stuff is on. My wife is doing a cardboard puzzle. Things feel nice.

Look what I bought today

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0043AA10W/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

ANGOSTURA Aromatic Bitters

Um I don't really know what I'm going to do with it yet :-/ drink it probably :) I want to make old fashioneds

I'm planning on buying some cocktail ingredients as I'm getting a bit bored of whiskey/rum and coke.

I almost bought some vermouth but I chickened out at the last minute

I found that bitters helped to revitalize some of my stand-bys. A rum and coke actually opens up and gets interesting with a splash of bitters. It adds an extra layer of depth to a well-balanced Moscow Mule or Dark and Stormy as well. I'm just not sure I'm keen on bitters, like campari, as a significant ingredient. I get tired of negronis after a couple of sips.

We had a more diverse showing at our recent Manhattan Club (we have custom cocktail glasses, be jealous) and I made a negroni for our gracious host. She repeatedly said "This tastes like cough syrup." Oh well.

My mistake initially was thinking you can add as much or even close to the amount of campari compared to other ingredients like vermouth or the base liquor. A little goes a long way when making up a cocktail.

It does sort of taste like an herbal liquer, like Fernet or Becherovka, which, in turn, taste like some cough syrups or Ricola cough drops. A light touch or a deft hand makes all the difference.

One of my new favorites, that I have yet to tackle myself is a vesper. I've had several, but only one crafter who did it right. Gin, vodka, lillet and a lemon garnish. Done right, it's smooth as silk and it becomes easy to drink too many of these high-proof beverages. The trick, apart from good ingredients and serving a nicely chilled beverage, is the coating of oil from the garnish that coats your palate. I'm talking this up way too much, which is bound to spawn disappointment or suspicions that I'm an alcoholic.

I had 3 different pumpkin ales this year:

1. Dogfish Head Punkin - Probably the best-regarded pumpkin ale and usually extremely hard to find since they make it in low quantities and demand is high. This year I saw a whole lot more of it, and I think I liked this batch better than last year. It's not a strong added flavor, and their ales are all high quality (pretty strong too).

2. Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin - I had the Pumpkinhead variety from these guys last year and really liked it, this is the more expensive version. It's good but a bit more cloying than the Dogfish Head. Sweeter and not as strong.

3. Southern Tier Pumking - I had this tonight. It's very strong (8.6 I think) and a much more hoppy and intense beer flavor to go along with the strong pumpkin taste. It took some getting used to but I enjoyed it.

The taproom I work in has both the Punkin and Pumking on tap. The punkin is rimmed with brown sugar when it's served, as it is brewed with brown sugar added. The pumking is rimmed with cinnamon, for the same reason.

~Fun Facts~

i bought some more stuff

• Angostura - Orange Bitters
  • Funkin Syrups - Sugar Cane
  • Finest Call - Sweet and Sour Mix

I was looking at a lot of cocktail mixers (i'm a cheat) but they don't tend to have a long shelve life after opened and i don't drink that much

Orange Bitters for living up whisky and dark rum drinks

Sugar syrup for my Old fashioneds as melting caster sugar didn't turn out to good

And the sweet and sour mix is a hit of lemon and lime i can use in long island ice teas

Bitters are great. I don't know what they do to my Ameretto (sour) but it sure is amazing. They were so difficult to find though, took me around 2 months to finally track them down!

thedrinkshop.com

:tup:

Seems reasonably priced. The spirits are about on par with tesco prices from what i can tell. But the bitters ended up being almost half the price i paid on amazon

Postage is a little steep though as it start a £5