clyde

Intoxicated:

Capt. Hastings is the forum-handle of my wife.

That's interesting that people are speculating that soju will be the next big thing. It must be part of Hallyu. Like I said, all those dramas make drinking soju under the tent of a food-truck look glamorous. In reality, it was like taking shots of vodka.

I am at the office after a department happy hour. I got very drunk and came back to my desk to find that I'd left a translation of a charter half done, so I tried to finish it. I think I am stuck, because I can make exactly zero progress on the Latin with this much alcohol in my bloodstream, but I cannot get enough focus together to pack up and go home.

My roommates have, like, their MOST annoying friends over this evening, so my drinking began a  little bit earlier this evening than most, and now I am far to drunk to even play spelunky, mu drunk game. Any suggestions for my last bits of gaming this evening before I am delivered to my girlfriends? I have like, 45 minutes and am extremely suggestable, so now is a time for any personal pitches. As well as other things.

Edit; Really any audio, I guess? I'm going to keep hearing a person talk about energy drink drinking games if not.

My roommates have, like, their MOST annoying friends over this evening, so my drinking began a  little bit earlier this evening than most, and now I am far to drunk to even play spelunky, mu drunk game. Any suggestions for my last bits of gaming this evening before I am delivered to my girlfriends? I have like, 45 minutes and am extremely suggestable, so now is a time for any personal pitches. As well as other things.

Drunk Crusader Kings is the best Crusader Kings. Start as the king of France or something and watch the disparity between how you think you're doing and how you're really doing widen ever deeper.

You're describing my usual path. But France it is tonight! 

My favorite game to talk about was when I had six beers in short order, then walked home and decided to continue my Empire of Francia game. At one point, I was simultaneously at war with England, Aragon, and the Holy Roman Empire... and was convinced I was winning! I felt like the Kwisatz Haderach playing harpsichord with one hand and chess with the other. I saved my game, fell asleep, and loaded it the next morning to find that I'd lost all of Navarre, all of Lotharingia, and most of Burgundy. How drunk was I to miss the hatching covering my kingdom?

Good times. One of the best times I've had drunk, actually.

I am at the office after a department happy hour. I got very drunk and came back to my desk to find that I'd left a translation of a charter half done, so I tried to finish it. I think I am stuck, because I can make exactly zero progress on the Latin with this much alcohol in my bloodstream, but I cannot get enough focus together to pack up and go home.

This sounds like the loveliest job!

I just had a moment when I felt like I've been doing it wrong (that's good).

Scripting is SO MUCH FUN!

I had no idea it would be like this. It wasn't really what I thought it would be like, it's what I didn't realize would be involved; Debug.Log() is awesome. I find myself looking for excuses to put Debug.Log() into the script just to see if the shit is firing off or not. This is an example of what I didn't know to ask about. The connotation of debugging that I got from dev-documentaries was that it was this crunch-time when you all have to stop doing fun stuff and just clean the kitchen. That may be what it is like in a studio, or with a large project; but debugging a small amount of script is more like a puzzle-game. It's super fun. You put little tracers in the code (this was alluded to in Idle Thumbs Episode 150, more accurately than I've ever seen it mentioned elsewhere) and then you just shorten the potential area until you figure out which spot isn't doing what you think it should be doing and then you stare at it for a while until you say something aloud like "There is no reason this shouldn't work" and then you go, "Oh."

Super Fun.

Another thing that I hadn't seen anyone mention in a compelling way, so much of programming seems to be just figuring out where different parts of the ideas should go. I had this image of programming that there was only one way to do things. NOpe. as in big NOPE.

The sitch is that there are infinite ways of doing things, but the number of potential techniques decreases rapidly as you approach the ideal of optimization. You know how on Neo-gaf, all these crazy people are arguing over how a bus of a computer-chip matters more than a mega-hertz or whatever? I think I know why they do that now. In programming you have all these names that are relevant to other names. So when you change one, you change everything else. I think the ideal would be to have just one name that you change the value of to get the result you are hoping for, but as the specific result of a particular instance you are hoping for gets more divergent from the results of a general potential, you have to create more factors that affect the calculation. The optimal solution is to have the fewest factors that change each other in the appropriate ways. But being able to see how that works requires an omniscience of the entire system. So when people are arguing over parts of a system on Neo-gaf, they are just explaining the synergy of parts or worshiping a particular one. 

Time for a Buckminster Fuller quotation.

“When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty…….. but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.”― Buckminster Fuller 

I always thought this was a cool quotation. It appeals to my New-age hipsterness; but it wasn't until I started programming that I actually saw what he was talking about. As I'm figuring out how to write some script, I make some shit happen, but it doesn't happen, so I change it a little bit, and then it happens... except for this one case, so then I write a line for that particular case and it works.

Then I go back to it later and I need something else to happen that depends on something I wrote before so I try to figure out how to dovetail into that value and the same process of trial and error occurs.

Then once it works (or sometimes I just take a nap), I come back to look at it and I'm like "What does this part even do? I don't need this if I just put this part here" and I end up deleting a third of what I had just written and it works better than ever. Just changing the organization of the information fixes the problem. That is way fucking cool yo.

It is possible to be way too invested in a forum or online activity and its super weird

Fixed it.

It is possible to be way too invested in a [anything] and its super weird

So, this is like, intoxicated slightly-to-personal Ask Amy I think. My roommate (who is also probably the guy I feel closest to, despite occasional lapses of us really interacting, we're still very similar, and able to connect in a way I don't find common) has just broken up with his boyfriend of slightly less than a year (out of nowhere for him)  which, on top of the usual breakup distress, also ruins his housing situation, and really deeply undercuts his short term future financial security, as he no longer has anyone to share food or rent costs with, a thing he was relying on it seems. 

And now to take someone else's problems and make them about me, I have no concept of how to handle this. I'm pretty inept at empathy (I'm on a video game forum! I'm breaking new ground!), pretty inexperienced at this kind of consolation, and while I'm not the guy's only source of help (he has a number of infinitely more helpful friends, one of which he is with now, which is very good. He'll be fine, in case its in concern.), I do really feel like I'm falling down on the job as a friend and roommate (all I could do was offer him beer (and myself more beer, which is why this goes in the intoxicated thread) and some pizza (filling out the "college dude consoling college dude" box I needed to tick), and I could use some help, whatever it is (or really any good words, kinda having a bad week myself), as I'm really not good at this. Compounding it I guess, is that he's gay and I'm straight (also from the extremely rural midwest, so I'm not really prepared even peripherally for the idea of being on the side of a male vs a male in a relationship dispute, as small town SD is a deeply, deeply homophobic place, and also a very 'traditional values place' (in whatever sense that influences my view of masculine vs feminine roles in a relationship, regardless of gender (I still feel like it influences the sort of people I come from in their views of sexuality, so I assume it influences me.))), so I'm still recovering and trying to get a hold of a less horrible worldview, but its hard as a guy limited in empathy.), and there is a little bit of a socialization barrier there as far as how I'm trained to react to this (case in point, my only idea was beer and insulting the former boyfriend, which is not really not the most helpful thing I could have done).

So, in short, sorry for whatever incoherence may precede this, but I'm really falling down in helping a guy who I really owe a lot of my current stability too in a time when he could actually use the help.

Sorry for anything that seems  dickish about my phrasing or vocabulary,  I'm sorta drunk (duh!) and am thus more prone to the shit from whence I came. Just kidding, South dakota is great. Lol

Sounds like you're doing okay. You say you're not his primary support, so getting some pizza and beers in was a solid move. Insulting the ex can sometimes be helpful, sometimes not, but it's pretty standard.

Just don't panic about the gay angle. He's a person who just broke up with another person. That's pretty easy to empathise with, right? As a friend, you just need to distract/support/comfort, whichever it feels like he needs in the moment.

I dunno man, few more beers and you could be in there on the rebound.

Srsly though, you seem to be doing great. Like what Ben says, he has other support so a few beers, pizza and an ear to listen is some excellent backup.

Yeah. He's a friend with a problem. If it's beyond your ability to directly solve it, all that is expected of a good friend is to be there. Gay doesn't matter, he's bummed about a relationship ending and you are there for him. If it helps you get over your "I was socialized into shitty views and have not yet fully overcome them" problem (one we all have, not judging. The difference is only WHICH shitty worldview we're each overcoming), just try to mentally replace the word "boyfriend" with "girlfriend" when you're thinking about it, remember to switch it back to "boyfriend" when speaking, and keep on doing what you're doing. Your duties as a buddy would be the same in either case anyway. EVERYONE appreciates beer, pizza, and a reliable friend. Keep up the good work.

If he's vegan or a recovering alcoholic, then you are doing really poorly.

Fair play on the recovering alcoholic thing, but I have experienced many awesome vegan-friendly pizzas.

Thanks for all the good words everyone. He's gone back home with his parents for the weekend (ex-boyfriend was around last night to pick up his stuff, and he wanted to avoid that I guess),, and at least there he can focus on school for a bit (our finals are fairly soon).

And yeah, I wasn't so much worried that I wouldn't be able to understand what was going on as I was stymied by my lack of fallback social cues for the occasion. I rely pretty heavily on that sort of thing, and I was just struggling because I also don't really know how to console ANYONE in that situation, and all I had was tired hick cliches, which I just knew were going to fall especially flat on a pretty metropolitan kid from the cities (which is what the wasteland of the upper midwest calls minneapolis/st paul), and my already sort of panicked brain (like I said, bad week) just flatlined. And yeah, like I also said, he's just way better at helping people with things than me (including helping me, a lot), and I felt like absolute shit being unable to help more.

Notes on:
Recovering Alcoholic: Funny you should mention... Not really.
Pizza: He's not vegan, but also doesn't understand the supremacy of a 25/75 sriracha/pizza sauce mix, and begged off thusly.
Boyfriend/girlfriend: Similarly but not exactly, I was mentally replacing "That bitch!" with "That dick!" while doing the "All the shit he did that no one wanted to mention until now" part of things, and that was fun I guess.
Vegan Pizza: Only without vegan cheese. Or compressed chalk dust and oil. Or whatever it is.

Anyway, thanks for being helpful to what now looks to me like a slightly different crazy person who shares my name.

EVERYONE appreciates beer

Okay let's set the record straight here. BEER IS DISGUSTING.

(I have nothing constructive to add, but since it all seems to have worked out, I feel it's okay for me to chime in about how offended I am by miffy's insinuation that I would ever drink that garbage.)

Also, i don't like bread, ergo pizza is way down on my list of things i tolerate.

Did i use ergo correctly?

I love pizza and beer, but went gluten/wheat free about a year ago, so no more of either for me. 

Appropriate for the intoxication thread, I was mostly just a beer drinker before the diet change (I did go through a rum phase, but rum does funny things to my personality that no other alcohol does).  Occasionally a scotch or whiskey, but not common.  I still have this moment of like brain-lock panic sometimes when a bartender or waitress asks for my drink order, because I want to default to just saying my old standard beer (Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat), and I can't say that!  I still haven't found that good, stock standard drink to settle into. 

^^^^ have you ever tried any of the gluten-free beers? My cousin was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, but drinks gluten free beers sometimes. I can't really comment on them too much, just curious.

Okay let's set the record straight here. BEER IS DISGUSTING.

(I have nothing constructive to add, but since it all seems to have worked out, I feel it's okay for me to chime in about how offended I am by miffy's insinuation that I would ever drink that garbage.)

That's honestly like saying "cheese is disgusting" or "fish is disgusting" or "vegetables are disgusting". What KIND of cheese? What KIND of vegetable? They're not all disgusting.

Beer and wine are not drinks. They're food. There are so many different varieties and preparations of beer (and wine). The breadth and depth of tastes is so incredibly vast that you can't just lump them together. They are not all alike.

There is a large difference between saying "mayonnaise is disgusting" (completely true and verifiable) and "beer is disgusting", which is not true. You don't like whatever beer you tried. ALL beer is not disgusting!

There are some beers that are fcking terrible, though. Not everything is special and wonderful.

They're not all disgusting.

Yeah they are. Every beer tastes the same and makes me gag to even SMELL it.