Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 128: Dear Mom

Idle Thumbs 128:

449__header.jpg

Dear Mom

As the saying goes, "When life gives you an insane shipping schedule, sleeplessness, and you think you may be getting a little bit sick, make an episode of Idle Thumbs where you dig through the mailbag and answer a bunch of quality questions readers have sent in." We'll be back next week with a full episode!

Things Discussed: You

Jake, I loved the Joe Pesci podblast! That was the episode that convinced me to regularly listen to Idle Thumbs.

I still hope that Valve will someday release Left 4 Dead Too ... with Joe Pesci.

I wouldn't call the Catwoman choice in Arkham City an ending because after you make the "correct" decision, there's still at least an hour or two of story to play through. They couldn't really do much with it in any case, as it's part of the Catwoman DLC, and the possibility exists (for the console versions, at least) that you might not have it.

Sean got it right. Video-games don't punch people, kids punch people (so many times).

Wow, what happened.

This episode!

I loved it.

I wouldn't call the Catwoman choice in Arkham City an ending because after you make the "correct" decision, there's still at least an hour or two of story to play through. They couldn't really do much with it in any case, as it's part of the Catwoman DLC, and the possibility exists (for the console versions, at least) that you might not have it.

I think Sean was playing it without the dlc? I'm not entirely sure how it works to be honest.

Nick: when I was a kid I sprained my ankle doing flips on the carpet after watching Power Rangers

Jake: some of them smell; babies smell

Sean: please give me your friend code; I have a Pokémon for you.

l7DG3RT.jpg

...I hope you appreciate how fucking long it took to get every variable of that right.

(also, not to pressure you into picking a certain starter or anything, but Fennekin evolves into a Wizard)

With reference to the "kids are violent" thing, my brother once nearly gouged my eye out with a wooden rhinoceros after watching Ninja Turtles.

I think Sean was playing it without the dlc? I'm not entirely sure how it works to be honest.

The ability to play as Catwoman at all (her story bits, challenge rooms, etc.) is the DLC. It was positioned as the new game purchase incentive, and I suspect Sean was playing on PC, so it probably just downloaded with the rest of the game during the installation.

ET Gone Home made me choke on some pumpkin bread I was eating.  I almost died.

P.S. I'm assuming that the Sassy nature in intentional.

ET Gone Home made me choke on some pumpkin bread I was eating.  I almost died.

P.S. I'm assuming that the Sassy nature in intentional.

Sassy was intentional; "Somewhat vain" was a happy accident.

Those episodes right when XCOM and Dishonored came out were really good.

Wow, what happened.

This episode!

I loved it.

I have found that the most reliable way to determine if an episode is good is to check the number of times one of the hosts describes it as "the worst" of "garbage". Maybe they should start putting a count under the "games discussed".

I loved the opening. Also, the bit where I thought Sean had just drifted off and wanted to go to an irish bar

Before finishing his sentence.

With reference to the "kids are violent" thing, my brother once nearly gouged my eye out with a wooden rhinoceros after watching Ninja Turtles.

Ninja Turtles must have been responsible for at least 50% of child injuries during the early 90's.

When I was 7 years old, my friend and I were playing Ninja Turtles (and by playing Ninja Turtles I mean we dressed up like Ninja Turtles and did karate moves on each other) and I somehow managed to knock my two front teeth out on the back of his ear. Before I even realized what had happened he picked up my teeth and ran into the living room where our parents were, screaming "Two teeth, two teeth!" before slamming them onto the table. Everyone thought they were his teeth at first until I came out of the room with blood pouring out of my mouth. This was also when I realized whose teeth had been knocked out.

Luckily they were still my baby teeth but it still took over a year for my new teeth to grow in.

I got 5 stitches in my eyelid when I was 7 because my sister threw a Ninja Turtle motorcycle toy (with a spiky kickstand!) at my head. While getting the stitches the nurses had to restrain me so I would stay still, since I was freaking out. Said restraint restricted my breathing and I almost suffocated. The whole process gave me an intense fear of needles that I still carry to this day.

Turtle Power!

Let's take a moment to think about all the more unfortunate people who aren't on the Idle Thumbs forums due to Ninja-Turtle accidents.