Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 235: A Tough Row Tahoe

Julian Murdoch and designer Rob Daviau join Rob on vacation to talk about playtesting, feedback, and making games work.

Listen

I gotta say that I think Julian's comment about the At the Gates alpha testers was kind of unfair. I'm sure people playing the alpha build would love to provide feedback to Jon about whether the game is boring or not. The problem is, without getting into the specifics of the game, there are a lot of core features that are currently absent from the alpha build. So it is sort of an impossible question to answer right now. It would be like trying to judge Unity of Command without any of the supply rules in place.You technically have a playable game, but there isn't anything to meaningfully evaluate yet. It's still interesting to play around with, and move units around, but there is too much missing to provide that more critical feedback of whether the game works or not, if the experience is interesting, etc.

It was interesting to listen to this and the latest game design roundtable back to back, since gdr was talking about the same thing.