Also a minor nitpick but it seems like everyone forgot that Clementine will shoot and kill a zombie in episode 4 regardless of player choices.

That's not necessarily true. She might just lock one in a closet. Unless we cut that and I forgot.

I can't wait to hear Craig Hubbard's thoughts. He an absolute legend! So many fantastic games: Blood, the Nolf series, Shogo and FEAR - it's just silly how talented that guy is! Blackpowder's Betrayer's really special. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any fans of first-person adventure or exploration-based games, even in it's early access state. It's very much it's own thing.

I love the podcast. I'd be interested to see if you cover more developers who work on smaller scales. Someone like Tom Francis (who might be too difficult to do due to distance, I know) or Anna Anthropy. As great as the Walking Dead stuff was, I was almost more interested in hearing Jake and Sean talk about Poker Night at the Inventory.

I'll listen to this as soon as I have the opportunity, but let me say this in advance:

Finally, a podcast exclusively about The Logic Factory's unsung masterpiece, The Tone Rebellion. About goddamn time.

51399.jpg

Man, this was a really great podcast! I really liked the conversational tone, and the free flowing interview style. Steve, do you write some questions down, or is it all off the cuff? Also, terrific theme music, never change it. 
The only thing I didn't like was that is was in stereo, I had to change my phone to output mono so I could listen with one headphone while at work, but otherwise,

When I've seen people who don't play games play Portal they've been so overwhelmed by and focused on the mechanics and puzzles that they couldn't pay any attention to what Glados was saying, so that whole aspect on the game was lost on them. I've seen the same thing happen to people who are slightly more familiar with games too, if they're in a firefight in Mass Effect or something they won't notice any dialogue / instructions because they're so focused on the fight. Personally I think I'd recommend World of Goo to someone unfamiliar with games, but maybe that one's also too hard.

I grind my teeth every time Sean says "obstensively," which happens several times in this episode. The word is OSTENSIBLY.

Minor quibbles aside, this was really great, and I'm looking forward to adding this to my regular podcast rotation.

To guys who've listened to the first one, or I guess Steve... :fart:

Are there spoilers regarding Maniac Mansion, MI 2 and DotT? I have not played and/or finished them yet...

Okay, I haven't finished MI2 and haven't progressed beyond the first few minuted of MM and DotT.

No spoilers for Manic Mansion or Monkey Island 2 they just talk about the tone of each game

I haven't a clue what DotT is an acronym of so can't help you on that one

Edit: Day of the Tentaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacleeeeeeeesssssssss, no spoilers either

This was fantastic and compelling. I love the inside baseball stuff, especially since game people tend to seem SO secretive about process and actual solutions. It's come up before, but think about the Diablo 3s that must exist? 

I think these days I would use Papers, please to show non-gamers first if i wanted to be a bit pretentious. It shows the kind of important lessons games can teach,

I love the podcast. I'd be interested to see if you cover more developers who work on smaller scales. Someone like Tom Francis (who might be too difficult to do due to distance, I know) or Anna Anthropy. As great as the Walking Dead stuff was, I was almost more interested in hearing Jake and Sean talk about Poker Night at the Inventory.

I'd love to talk to Tom! I'm going to be in the UK next week and am hoping to catch up with him...

Man, this was a really great podcast! I really liked the conversational tone, and the free flowing interview style. Steve, do you write some questions down, or is it all off the cuff? Also, terrific theme music, never change it. 

The only thing I didn't like was that is was in stereo, I had to change my phone to output mono so I could listen with one headphone while at work, but otherwise,

Thanks! Yeah, I don't write anything down ahead of time for any of these-- I only really talk to people whose work I know well. Also I'm lazy!!

Sorry about the stereo thing. That seems like it's a big deal for a lot of people? I could probably go into Audacity and reexport it as mono. Is the general consensus that I should do that?

I didn't have a problem apart from the very beginning when you introduced the show entirely into my right ear (as in your voice was coming only through the right speaker) it just seemed a bit strange and unnatural to me. Should the host be on the left? Have I just invented a podcast rule?

But I quickly got over it and the rest of the episode sounded fine, but if people like listening with just one head phone in its not going to work for them as it currently is. Surely Chris could give you some pointers

I think mono is generally the way to go with podcasts. Just too many variables to the way people listen to them, without the stereo doing enough good.. I remember when I had a car with a faulty aux. audio port that would only play the left channel, and suddenly any podcast that was in stereo became unlistenable.

Just don't pan it all the way, I think he's saying. 75/25 is usually a good way for two people to talk on two different channels.

I would agree with this.

If you're someone who listens to stuff with only one ear, then a good tip is setting your device to output everything in mono. On iPhone this is available in Settings > General > Accessability. I'm sure some equivalent setting is available in Windows/Android etc.

I think a lighter stereo pan is ideal, but if you're only working off of one track (which I imagine is the case if you're using a handheld audio recorder) then mono is probably the appropriate route. Doing that in Audacity is easy for sure.

As an exclusively car/headphones at work listener, I think mono is probably the best option for casting pods? There are a lot of variables with outside noise, potential level issues, shitty speakers etc that it's likely the SAFEST route.

Re: A game for a non-gamer, would anyone say Minecraft? That appears to be a quintessential children's gateway game of our time, but I don't know if it's the same for adults. Would someone have said Minecraft previously, but not now? If not, reasons?

Since I did not develop either of them so I'm not constrained by the restrictions, I think Gone Home and The Walking Dead would both be excellent introductory game experiences. Think of how many men or ladies would want to touch your peepee after experiencing the emotionally stirring story of Sam and Lonnie.

Think of how many men or ladies would want to touch your peepee after experiencing the emotionally stirring story of Sam and Lonnie.

I think we have a new rating system!

Seriously though, I really like this show. It reminds me of the time before most of the Thumbs had jobs in the industry and were less shy about playing inside baseball. Not that they don't at all anymore, but hearing Sean elaborate on the feeling of writing his characters was really gratifying.

No spoilers for Manic Mansion or Monkey Island 2 they just talk about the tone of each game

I haven't a clue what DotT is an acronym of so can't help you on that one

Edit: Day of the Tentaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacleeeeeeeesssssssss, no spoilers either

Anyone else concerned about spoilers more generally, it's worth pointing out that while all that is true, they spoil basically all of The Walking Dead Season 1, so definitely play that before listening.

Wait, so because everyone with a non-stereo listening environment is too lazy to switch to a mono output setting, I (and others who possibly enjoy listening to this in stereo) won't get my stereo mix? :( :(

I know, I know.. No one's demanding anything.

But has everyone that's complaining about the stereo tried setting their PC/Android/iPhone to mono output?