Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

Ugh, yesterday was a garbage day for me.  I was preparing to do my first Hell run.  I had a jetpack, shotgun, and a ton a health thanks to a cooperative mummy.  I took care of Olmec no problem, but as I stood on him waiting to enter Hell, a freaking monkey jumped on me, stunned me, and I fell in the lava.

Then on the daily I died at 1-2 jumping into the ghost instead of over him.  Worst.

The most Spelunky series of posts there is:

I am in a bit of a slump.

A disappointing end:

This didn't go well

Anyway, aside from a stupidly close call in the Black Market, I did ok, but I've noticed the farther I get the less I try and collect money, which I should probably correct if I want a decent score, especially compared to the ghosting machine that is hammerpants.

I had a lot of fun on this daily. I decided to murder the first shopkeeper man because I really wanted to know what was in the mystery box. And then, since shopkeepers were already aggro, I decided to ghost the early vaults. I had a really tough time killing the mines vaultkeeper, it just took REALLY long time. Then I made a mistake trying to take out the jungle vaultkeeper and nearly died (was left with 1 health), which set me up to waste the ankh in a dumb way on 3-1. I finally died to the yeti king in a pretty comical way. Fun times.

Started of quite bad, but I recovered. However, in the black market I hit a shopkeeper with the whip while trying to get rid of a frog.

However, in the black market I hit a shopkeeper with the whip while trying to get rid of a frog.

When you post something like that, I know there's going to be some quality swearing :)

Blambo, that's perfect.

Today's seed is a dupe of 1/16, which is kinda lame, though I did get farther in this time at least. When they issue this update, are they going to do something so this doesn't happen? It seems like it would be easy to fix.

Great work Blambo, Chris's twitter profile image would be a perfect reference for the damaged player state.

My fanart from last year gives me ideas for some other reskins...

post-26597-0-26546400-1391783876_thumb.gif

Today's Daily was brutal, for the first time ever I defeated Olmec and descended to hell with 0 bombs.

Late post: but my steam ID is gormanator....I don't have many spelunking friends and I'd like to populate my leaderboard!

Today's seed is a dupe of 1/16, which is kinda lame, though I did get farther in this time at least. When they issue this update, are they going to do something so this doesn't happen? It seems like it would be easy to fix.

Yes, the seeding is definitely different in the patch.

I skipped the udjat eye because I couldn't be bothered. Was really missing being able to see gems in the wall later on though. Probably won't be skipping it in the future if I can help it.

I decided to raid the weapon shop in the caves, because... why not. I was making too many mistakes anyway. I did not think I would last that long. Entered the black market with 1 health. 1 bomb and agro shopkeepers. I survived and managed to continue up the end of 3-4 where I couldn't get rid of the shopkeeper.

God bless that starting jetpack! Thanks to the power of temporary flight (and the Udjat eye), I was able to scour some of the mines, most of the jungles, and most of the ice caves for diamonds. I'm much more confident now at leading the ghost around, and this proved immensely lucrative. I did lose the Ankh in the ice caves because I hadn't realised my shotgun pellets would rebound from a force field, and ultimately died when I went to the alien mothership in the hope of getting more diamonds there. Not a bad run at all for me today, finished with about 440k, I think :)

Close encounter with a tikitrap in 2-1. I was going for the crate and for some reason I decided to rest next to the tiki trap.

I completely forgot I angered the shopkeepers when I reached the temple. Was too busy with other things when all hell broke loose at the end of 4-1.

I forgot to start recording today, and I really wish I had because I got to 4-2 with the headjet and the scepter (and have never gotten to the city of gold), only to have one of those crocodile dudes telefrag me literally the instant I stepped away from the entrance. LAME.

Edit: Found a video of it from someones run on 1/18...he manages to avoid it by standing still a second longer than I did. (not totally sure if the timestamp link will work...it's at 53m 17s)

Edit 2: Even better, the same thing happened to Chris Remo last night. A more entertaining watch than the dude I linked before anyway: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisremo/b/501905407