Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I think I'm going to have a no-Spelunky weekend. I'm starting to experience these weird, unusual damages I can't even tell where they're coming from (i.e. I'm going crazy). Today I died in the daily by whipping a boomeran tiki guy from behind. A few days ago I fell into the abyss with my Hedjet and jetpack after being stunned from damage I took when I stomped on a frozen enemy in a 1-tile-tall tunnel. That happened another time as well, without as fatal consequences. A mantrap, which I was sure was supposed to be stuck in some webs was moving around and ate me.

I made it to Yama once, and died an honest death due to ignorance (I've explained it earlier). Since then it's been harder and harder to even reach the Temple. I think at least a few days break will do me good, and let the stirring insanity inside me calm down a bit.

KtzMqY9.jpg?1

Whoo! Beat Olmec during the daily and eked out the $500k achievement by bombing out gems in Olmec's stage. I did mess up and didn't have any bombs in the City of Gold so I couldn't get the Book of the Dead. 

Back from a week long ski trip, so back to spelunking.

I've never seen that ball and chain before.

How much do you allow yourselves to know about the upcoming Daily Challenge before attempting it?

I'll usually look at the leaderboards for a target and an idea of where people are getting to, sometimes check the thread for any chat, but stop short of watching videos. Maybe I've gone too far already.

I check the leaderboards.

Man, I don't know if today's seed was especially brutal or if I'm tired, but I struggled all the way tonight,

Mistakes were made. I couldn't find the black market entrance.

The purity of my daily challenge runs must be absolute. Luckily that's not very hard.

In other news I'm traveling for work and can't do the dailies all week. Maybe I should just quit my job instead...

Windows XP, Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, Direct X 9. Make it so.

Massive bee killing going on here. Successfully raided the blackmarket. Did some ghosting. And fucked up big time twice in the same level.

My theory is the better the warmup, the worse the actual run.

Yeah, I've started going straight into the daily (mainly on vita) rather than warming up at all. I had too many warm ups where I got really far, then didn't do nearly so well in the daily.

ffs... I had a great practice run, reaching 3-4 (although I stupidly took the wrong exit and missed the black market).

And then this happened in the challenge:

Damn, made it to Yama for the second time ever in today's daily. I had five hitpoints before entering Hell, but only one when reaching the final level.There were some monumental butt-clenches, getting hit by vampires and whatnot. I got him to his final stage, this time knowing that the falling projectiles don't stop even after you destroy his hands. But, I just couldn't hit him with my bombs, and eventually I took that one final point of damage.