Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I got the bomb glue. And there was even a giant spider on that level, so it was useless.

Oh I see, so, you can never get an item that you already have from the altar.  I guess the rest of us had gotten the sticky paste from giant spider before our first sacrifice.

With my new-found infos, I plan to do exceptionally well on Nov 4th's run. See y'all on the outside.

Why do you skip so many pots?

I think I got fixated on finding loose treasure & damsels. Plus, as you can see from today's run, I seem to have a 50-50 chance of things going terribly wrong whenever I start throwing shit around.

I almost made it to the jungle! Also, is it possible to just fuck yourself by blocking off the exit with a moving block if you don't have bombs?

I guess theoretically it's possible, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a situation where it could happen. It's also theoretically possible that the level generation guarantees that can't happen.

...Unless you bomb a bunch of holes and MAKE it happen.

I have a hunch about how Patrick died.

I'm guessing it involved a piranha-plant, a boomerang-guy, a tiki-trap and a bat.

I think I got fixated on finding loose treasure & damsels. Plus, as you can see from today's run, I seem to have a 50-50 chance of things going terribly wrong whenever I start throwing shit around.

I almost made it to the jungle! Also, is it possible to just fuck yourself by blocking off the exit with a moving block if you don't have bombs?

The whole time I was watching your run I kept thinking "How did I do better than him on the leaderboard, he's moving through these levels way more efficiently and effectively than I was", and then I saw you buy a shotgun instead of steal it. I never ever buy shotguns. If a shopkeeper is selling a shotgun that means he's having an "Everything In My Store And Pockets Is Free" sale.

And I definitely think it's possible to block your way out. I was thinking the same thing when I saw you push that block.

Oh man is there some crazy combo of traps that I missed? Cuz I died via a Tikitrap to the face only because I was too busy talking about how annoying I am when I talk. 

Oh man is there some crazy combo of traps that I missed? Cuz I died via a Tikitrap to the face only because I was too busy talking about how annoying I am when I talk. 

The door out of the world in which we died, was puzzletastic.

I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

Also, the number of you who don't kill shopkeepers as a matter of course is shocking.

If I had the ability to kill a single shopkeeper I'd be right there.

I hate killing shopkeepers. I changes the tone of the game in a way I don't enjoy unless I do it on accident.

I hate killing shopkeepers. I changes the tone of the game in a way I don't enjoy unless I do it on accident.

Interesting. Could you expand on that?

If I had the ability to kill a single shopkeeper I'd be right there.

Anytime any shopkeeper is selling a machete or a shotgun, you have the ability. 

Anytime any shopkeeper is selling a machete or a shotgun, you have the ability. 

I just prefer to leave them alone as long as I have enough money to buy what I want.  Seems safer.  It makes it easier to set up to rob the black market if you can do a little scouting first I think.  I do think it's better to have angry shopkeepers for the ice caves / temple, as it gives you more chances at a shotgun late game.

I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

Also, the number of you who don't kill shopkeepers as a matter of course is shocking.

It doesn't really matter, but you called me ka-monster, and its cmonster (the c pronounced like the word sea). Now you can gloat more accurately.

Because the Black Market is always the exact same layout, I find it pretty easy to deal with shopkeepers, especially if you're already carrying a shotgun. And there's usually a fair number of bombs there to help you out.

The angry shopkeepers tend to not have a very range of sight, so I can usually deal with them, depending on how I approach the exit, horizontally by shooting at them from off screen or vertically with bombs. And often they'll kill themselves, either on spikes, tiki-traps, or falling to their death.

It doesn't really matter, but you called me ka-monster, and its cmonster (the c pronounced like the word sea). Now you can gloat more accurately.

Ah, I was thinking it was c'mon + ster. I stand corrected!

I like participating in the economy of the game. Killing shopkeepers changes it so I'm not paying $2500 for three bombs, I'm paying $2500 to get bombs without having to worry about a jumping shotgun at the end of every level.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of shopping in the game and thinking hard about every purchase. When I flip the Benny Hill-switch, shopping is a casualty.

Btw, I enjoyed the video Patrick. Your excessive use of bombs (and ropes), mixes well with singing along to the Spelunky tune. I share your appreciation of Spelunky-tier fame and it's awkwardness. I don't watch all your videos, but I enjoy them when I do.

You know those spikes in the first level, below the entrance? I jumped on them. :tup:

"The Benny Hill switch" is my new favourite label. 

Yesterday's run, got further than expected (maybe a record?) but ended it all bashing the controller shouting "getupgetupgetupgetup". Fecking stuns!

"The Benny Hill switch" is my new favourite label. 

Yesterday's run, got further than expected (maybe a record?) but ended it all bashing the controller shouting "getupgetupgetupgetup". Fecking stuns!

I have never seen someone hold onto the mattock that long. That was great. I wish I could have heard your voice during certain points, like when the mantrap ate your pug or when you finally killed that giant alien and, of course, the end.

I was going through some old Dailies I never uploaded and remembered that this happened to me.

Has that ever happened to anyone else? 

Haha, have been considering recording audio, will have to look into it. There was some light cursing at points :P I think I've been lucky once and found the Black Market, just once. Bizarrely good feeling.