Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

Hey all,

People were beginning to share Steam IDs in the Spelunky thread in the main forum so I thought maybe we could move that sharing here and maybe draw in some more people. I am terrible at this game but I love it, and I have been doing the Daily Challenge regularly.

Steam ID is Irishjohn (I'm in the Thumbs group as well).

Yeah, I want to get in on this, but I already own the XBLA version. Can I justify paying another $15 just to do the daily challenge probably two or three times and then never play it again? I'm not sure.

Yeah, I want to get in on this, but I already own the XBLA version. Can I justify paying another $15 just to do the daily challenge probably two or three times and then never play it again? I'm not sure.

Yes

This is the difficulty I was having. I was playing a game a day on the xbox, not using any tunnels. I didn't know if the having the Steam version would be worthwhile.

Here is what I have been enjoying about the Daily Challenge:

-You get one shot at the Daily Challenge and it feels like the run is worth more.

-Watching Chris and Nick play the same map is novel. The first time I watched them play a map I had played, I was surprised by how Nick went a different way and had a significantly different run because of it. I didn't realize how much variety there could be based on how you approach a map.

-If you play soon after 8pm EST, you get to be high on the leaderboards for a little while and feel awesome.

I don't know if it is worth it to you, but I'm happy with my purchase. I already have a ton of games I don't play, might as well spend more on one I do play.

There is zero chance that the Daily Challenge for 10-14-2013 was randomly generated. There were level-design jokes in it. There was a very strong smell of someone fucking with me all the way through the caves. And then the Damsel in World 2-1 (I think it was 2-1), you try to tell me that a level-designer wasn't fucking with us.

She's in a cubby with one entrance, that entrance being a red frog jumping in a
1-wide column, the tree can't be easily taken out because of like 3 enemies of
different types waiting for you to try. It was absurd. They were like "I wish we
could see the looks on their faces when the player tries to get this damsel
out."

I loved it.

I find myself having tremendous difficulty trying to adjust to the differences between the original Spelunky and this. You could hurt yourself with rocks in the old one, but never this easily. In general the physics tweaks between the two have screwed me up more than once.

Still, as long as I keep doing better than Twig on every Daily Challenge, I'll feel alright.

I find myself having tremendous difficulty trying to adjust to the differences between the original Spelunky and this. You could hurt yourself with rocks in the old one, but never this easily. In general the physics tweaks between the two have screwed me up more than once.

Still, as long as I keep doing better than Twig on every Daily Challenge, I'll feel alright.

Those flying rocks kill me. And, I'm useless at this game and yet I love it. I'm even considering uploading my runs to YouTube, a la much more talented and interesting people.

Oh man, clyde, I want to hear your story on today's Daily. 100K+ on the daily is a nice feat. Especially considering that my (admittedly, drunk) ass crapped out on 1-4.

All I remember is wanting that jetpack, but not being able to afford it; running out of bombs early and not being able to get to the black-market because of it; a ufo destroying Kali's altar as I was carrying a damsel for my second sacrifice; and the temple being really scary.

I'm definately proud of that run. The game is so hard when bombs are scarce.

Ha-ha! I beat you, PATRICK. Take THAT. Don't give me that drunk excuse.

I streamed it because everyone's streaming it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to take that stream and put it on my youtubes. Not that I think it's worth watching or anything.

What killed me this time was my damned curiosity. There was a dude with a boomerang. I'd never seen a boomerang before! I tried to kill him when I had only one hit left. It didn't work. Obviously.

You trounced me. I'm constantly amazed at how well I do on regular adventures (baby games) and how horribly I do when it actually matters. My run average on a regular adventure: 31,000. My run average on Daily: 4,000. I'm Captain Choke.

Hah, it's the same way for me. I used to be so good at the original Spelunky. Almost always made it to the city of gold. This new version is fucking with me on a spiritual level.

Ha-ha! I beat you, PATRICK. Take THAT. Don't give me that drunk excuse.

I streamed it because everyone's streaming it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to take that stream and put it on my youtubes. Not that I think it's worth watching or anything.

What killed me this time was my damned curiosity. There was a dude with a boomerang. I'd never seen a boomerang before! I tried to kill him when I had only one hit left. It didn't work. Obviously.

I used Open Broadcast Software (as recommended by Spelunky Explorers' Club) and then changed the output from streaming to a file on my desktop. Then uploaded that.

Oh, I also use that, but I streamed to Twitch first. I also figured out the problem. Twitch made auto-archiving opt-in, so it didn't auto-archive the stream. So it's lost forever. Oh well! Not like it was anything special. I suck at talking to myself while playing a game. U:

I generally use Fraps for recording directly to a file.

Alright, I was really trying to hold off until this went on a Steam sale, but I guess I will comply and purchase this. Thanks jerks!

username sclpls

Alright, I was really trying to hold off until this went on a Steam sale, but I guess I will comply and purchase this. Thanks jerks!

username sclpls

No problem.

Oh, I also use that, but I streamed to Twitch first. I also figured out the problem. Twitch made auto-archiving opt-in, so it didn't auto-archive the stream. So it's lost forever. Oh well! Not like it was anything special. I suck at talking to myself while playing a game. U:

I generally use Fraps for recording directly to a file.

Ah, ok. I'm completely new to this and don't have FRAPS.

That was a brutal seed. Lot of resources needed to get basic stuff like damsels and keys in the Caves, and no way to get more bombs. I didn't find a crate with bombs until 3-1. Three crates with parachutes though. But I used my last one on a shotgun at 2-2, and that ended up being a life saver. By the end I was in 4-2 with a shotgun and a jetpack, which I like to think of as "fully upgraded".

EDIT: Watching IrishJohn's run also reminded me of the dark level! I hate dark levels!

That was really hard.

I call it the "Hired Hands, don't bother trying to find the key" seed.