TheLastBaron

Sports

The Blue Jays have won 8 straight, are in the lead for the Wild Card and a game and a half behind the Yankees. Dare I dream?

The Blue Jays have won 8 straight, are in the lead for the Wild Card and a game and a half behind the Yankees. Dare I dream?

I hope so, I work a block away from the Twins stadium and the faster they get knocked out the less traffic BS I have to deal with. "I am from out of town, how do I road?"

I work a block away from the Twins stadium 

please eat 6 million juicy lucys for me. i miss them so much

I hope so, I work a block away from the Twins stadium and the faster they get knocked out the less traffic BS I have to deal with. "I am from out of town, how do I road?"

Well, the Blue Jays' performance won't have a ton to do with that, but I wish you the best.

You're terrible. Go Twins, go Blue Jays.

Not a baseball fan but was at the Pirates game on Sunday to see them sweep the Dodgers.  The game wound up being televised nationally but besides the Buccos scoring 9 in the 7th the best part has to be the fact that game had more runs scored than the Steelers preseason game the same night.

THE BLUE JAYS ARE IN FIRST PLACE! IN AUGUST! IN THIS DIMENSION!

I have been to one baseball game in my life. I was at the skydome for game 3 of the 1992 World Series because my friend's dad took a bunch of us to the game. It remains to this day the only time I've cared about baseball. I'd watch a few games in a pub if the Jays are making another run though.

Man, if you're calling it "ice-hockey" then I don't know if you're in a position to call it the one true sport. It's just hockey.

Super excitingly, the WFTDA Roller Derby divisional playoffs are starting this weekend. (This is exciting because for the first time, there are plenty of non-USA/Canadian teams in the tournament, including 6 in the Division 1 playoffs - one of which, London Rollergirls, just beat the expected #2 seed a week and a half ago.)

The Blue Jays hit a lot of home runs.

Someone made a video supercut of all their home runs to Cash's God's Gonna Cut You Down. It is delicious.

First NFL game of the season went down, Steelers ended up losing to the Patriots. I'd have regular disappointment, but turns out some crazy shit went down.

During the first half of the game, the Steelers' headsets (used to coordinate the team) were getting their frequency bombarded with the Patriots radio broadcast. In the wake of the game the Patriots claim they were having problems too and overplayed their, "Couldn't communicate with Tom Brady" card considering they dominated the first half. Seriously, that team is suspicious as shit at this point.

First NFL game of the season went down, Steelers ended up losing to the Patriots. I'd have regular disappointment, but turns out some crazy shit went down.

During the first half of the game, the Steelers' headsets (used to coordinate the team) were getting their frequency bombarded with the Patriots radio broadcast. In the wake of the game the Patriots claim they were having problems too and overplayed their, "Couldn't communicate with Tom Brady" card considering they dominated the first half. Seriously, that team is suspicious as shit at this point.

From the ESPN article on how the patriots are cheaters:

At Gillette Stadium, the scrambling and jamming of the opponents' coach-to-quarterback radio line -- "small s---" that many teams do, according to a former Pats assistant coach -- occurred so often that one team asked a league official to sit in the coaches' box during the game and wait for it to happen. Sure enough, on a key third down, the headset went out.

From the ESPN article on how the patriots are cheaters:

That's the same article I read. I'm shocked that the league let's this crap continue. Disrupting communication is kinda messed up.

There was another scandal going on regarding the Patriots recording the other team's communications. Defenders of the Patriots say "it's the same thing you see on TV" but the way things read, the Patriots had their own cameras set up to record things. And the TV broadcasts tend to cut away or not include that stuff on purpose. So I dunno. Not the biggest fan of the Patriots at this point. Already wasn't but still.

Anyway in other NFL stuffs, most of today's games are done and not a single one of my picks ended up winning. The new QB for the Titans had himself a hell of a game; one of the three times in the NFL's history where a brand new QB throws 4 touchdowns in his opening game, and his overall stats / rating were incredible. That kid can play ball.

So the San Jose Earthquakes are trying to make a playoff push and won tonight's game and Matias Perez Garcia, the player who scored, took his shirt off to celebrate getting a second yellow. I'm super happy because he's a joke and him being suspended is probably the best thing that could happen for the Quakes right now. I'm not that into MLS though now that European soccer has started. I have season tickets and go to all the home games, but I don't think the Quakes are going to make it and I mostly just go because their new stadium is a really fun place. Still, it was a funny thing to happen.

I have friends with season tickets, and I bought the MLS streaming pass, and have been too exactly three games this season, two of which have turned real ugly. Also, it wasn't that long ago that I'd watch every single Seahawks game, and this year I forgot they had started playing. I guess Sports just doesn't do it for me anymore.

BBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pittsburgh has lost two games because Scobee cant make field goals this season.  i generally feel for this guy, he is a veteran player who did great things in jacksonville - but has certainly lost something or just nerves - "needs to move on"

but now they are holding try outs for kickers - so moving on might not mean mentally

I remember a couple seasons ago Green Bay's kicker slumped and everyone called for his head, but Mike McCarthy was super patient and let him work through it and now he's back to being a great field goal kicker. I understand that pressure and competition is fierce at the top, but it's always interesting to me which teams make changes quickly and which ones wait.

My tiny little country has qualified for their first football tournament in my lifetime! Woooooooooooooo!

I sorta can't entirely believe it I've spent my whole adult life as a manic football fan always having to pick a neutral team at big tourneys so the fact Wales are of to France next year is super cool as fast as I'm concerned :D

Maybe it's time to save up and make free time to try and make the trip to France next year.

pittsburgh has lost two games because Scobee cant make field goals this season.  i generally feel for this guy, he is a veteran player who did great things in jacksonville - but has certainly lost something or just nerves - "needs to move on"

but now they are holding try outs for kickers - so moving on might not mean mentally

The Eagles might be 4-1 right now if their pro bowl kicker didn't literally tear every muscle in his groin (literally) and have to be replaced with a defective unit picked up in a back alley.

New kicker made first ever attempt in nfl, on Monday night, away - from 47. Huzzah!

Everyone misses from time to time, but being a pro athlete with extensive experience is supposed to mitigate risk of lots of misses

Badfinger - I hope they find their way, in a league where kickers are generally underpaid - a lost one sure shows the importance of the position