TheLastBaron

Sports

Excellent point, and the media propaganda is obviously working since I think of them as player union strikes when you are correct about ownership forcing the stoppage.  It may also stem from my generally low opinion of unions (labor & trade mostly) - and associate stoppage of work with union side rather than ownership, but that is a separate discussion not for "sports"

I did not follow the 2004/5 very closely and only got the wiki recap info when i was interested after the 2012 lockout.  It is bonkers that the sport has come back (at least from my Chicago perspective looking outward to the league) from a half season in mid 90's, full missing season in 2004/5, abridged season 2012.

I am sure statistics would show that some markets were slower to recover, if at all

There are an awful lot of things I'm "supposed" to celebrate as an American that make me very uncomfortable. The US Women's National Team winning the World Cup does not have any of those reservations. Incredible game. So happy to see Abby finally get to ride off into the sunset a champion like she deserves. I am so devastatingly in love with Carli Lloyd, the most attractive lady in America. Beating the keeper from midfield is just absurd. What a game.

There are an awful lot of things I'm "supposed" to celebrate as an American that make me very uncomfortable. The US Women's National Team winning the World Cup does not have any of those reservations. Incredible game. So happy to see Abby finally get to ride off into the sunset a champion like she deserves. I am so devastatingly in love with Carli Lloyd, the most attractive lady in America. Beating the keeper from midfield is just absurd. What a game.

Your nations lady's did you more than proud badfinger, in particular that lob from the halfway was hella audacious. It's worth noting that sort of goal will hopefully stand for years as a wonderful rebuke to anyone who criticises the woman's game for lack power and skill.

I don't watch much soccer, but we had a game day yesterday and several folks wanted the match on in the background, and holy hell was that fun to watch. 

That was a really fun game to watch.  Japan is great but I would have really loved to see that US team also play the French and English at some point.

I don't know how many other NBA fans there are on here. I'm a big Mavs fan and this DeAndre Jordan story just blows my mind over and over again.

There are so many parts that are baffling to me.

yup feel for Mavs fans....seemed like a bit of a dick move

ugh.

worst offseason ever. 

Worst thing is that Dirk is probably gonna end his incredible career on such a low note. dude deserved at least one more legit shot with a good team

The one thing I can't get over is that it's widely agreed that part of why DeAndre was considering leaving was because of his relationship with Chris Paul. Does he really think that's going to change?

(Also DAJ didn't let his agent in his house last night. There was someone from the agency, but not his agent there.)

I'm willing to bet that the possibility of Jordan going to Dallas was reason enough for chris paul to squash the beef for a moment. Who knows if it'll continue when they actually play again. Seems like they capitalized on him getting cold feet as best they could.

Really the whole thing was just super immature, i might be laughing if i didn't live here  :violin:

Like I believe that Chris Paul will promise that he'll play nice, but I don't think that will stick.

They just straight up refused to leave his house to let him meet with anyone from Dallas & has just said nothing to Mark Cuban since Tuesday night.

Today is the day when the first African ever got to wear the famous polka-dot jersey at the Tour de France. It was a great moment to watch.

150709180732-daniel-teklehaimanot-tour-d

www.strava.com is a website that's similar to chains.gg except it's specifically for running and cycling, where you join up in a group to set goals for yourself.

They are having a Tour de France challenge, where over the course of the Tour you challenge yourself to cycle half the distance of the Tour (about 1600 km).

https://www.strava.com/challenges/letour

The person currently leading the challenge is Thibaut Pinot, a podium finisher in last year's Tour. He signed up, and it's hilarious.

In a baffling turn of events, Deron Williams is trying to get out of his Nets contract to join Dallas????

The person currently leading the challenge is Thibaut Pinot, a podium finisher in last year's Tour. He signed up, and it's hilarious.

That is both wonderful and very stupid, I love it.

Oh my goodness, the new format for the Home Run Derby has turned it from one of US sports most boring, slogging bloatfests into 4 minute bursts of insane, awesome intensity. This is the best HRD I've ever seen, even if the boring, wrong guy won.

This is the first soccer / association football season in years, could be 10 years, that I haven't followed things at least secondarily through the lens of fantasy sports. There just hasn't been the time and headspace over the off-season.

Still, the conditioning has been so thorough that the peculiar focus of a fantasy sports mindset is still directing my requirements for satisfactory news reporting: goals, assists, penalised fouls, outstanding player bonuses. That's over and above sacrificial play, the nature of team work, the beginnings of lasting character.

How do you pivot from the sort of hyper-focused perspective, myopic but in many ways logically consistent with the game, to something more constructive, more inspiring? A long form perspective on the truths of a sport?

I don't pay a terrible amount of attention to the NFL during the off season but this bit of news couldn't be passed up.

The New York Jets are getting a raw deal as the season is gearing up to start. In the locker room one of their quarterbacks, Geno Smith, got into a fight with one of their secondary (or tertiary?) linebackers. It wasn't football related, it wasn't violent, but it turned that way when the linebacker decided to suckerpunch Smith. He ended up breaking Smith's jaw, and the injury puts him out for 6 to 10 weeks.

The linebacker was IMMEDIATELY cut loose from the team. Guy just pissed away his career, potentially, because nobody wants a player that's going to actually injure their own teammates and put the season at risk. He was only going into his second year in the league I think too.

Just a note: The NFL being harsh on this situation compared to cases of rape accusation (or proved cases thereof), spouse abuse, etc is not lost on me.

I don't pay a terrible amount of attention to the NFL during the off season but this bit of news couldn't be passed up.

The New York Jets are getting a raw deal as the season is gearing up to start. In the locker room one of their quarterbacks, Geno Smith, got into a fight with one of their secondary (or tertiary?) linebackers. It wasn't football related, it wasn't violent, but it turned that way when the linebacker decided to suckerpunch Smith. He ended up breaking Smith's jaw, and the injury puts him out for 6 to 10 weeks.

The linebacker was IMMEDIATELY cut loose from the team. Guy just pissed away his career, potentially, because nobody wants a player that's going to actually injure their own teammates and put the season at risk. He was only going into his second year in the league I think too.

Just a note: The NFL being harsh on this situation compared to cases of rape accusation (or proved cases thereof), spouse abuse, etc is not lost on me.

Don't you dare mess with their wins or profit margins. everything else is fine.

It's not so much that no one wants to play with that guy, but that his skill doesn't warrant keeping him around in spite of that trait.

See: Michael Irvin stabbing Everett McIver in the neck with a pair of scissors because McIver wouldn't let Irvin get his hair cut first.

Yep, that's real. There have been reports that Irvin paid McIver a six-figure sum to prevent him from pressing charges.

The book "Boys Will Be Boys", about those Cowboys championship teams, opens with that story, talking to multiple members of the team who were in the room and saw it happen.