TheLastBaron

Sports

Steelers got a good value player but their secondary is still a black hole.  Slightly disconcerting.

Also, adding this because it fits well in the "don't help up opposing players" theme.  Two former Penn State guys on the Vikings, Hodges wants to help up Jackson but Mauti is all "no prisoners."  And then DeSean is sad.

VikingsWontHelpDeSeanJacksonUp.gif

Yeah when the head of the AFC was banned for life back in 2011 for corruption and Qatar still got the world cup (he was Qatari) it was pretty obvious FIFA had issues.

So the Bulls fired Thibs: https://twitter.com/mcten/status/603968165329182720

They also posted the pettiest passive aggressive midwestern press release ever: http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/tomthibodeau528

I'm from Illinois originally, and was a tiny baby child during the bulls era, but the bulk of my understanding of MJ comes from Space Jam. I hold  no affections for the Bulls as Chicago sports in general aren't my thang. (Chalk it up to a lifetime of "I'm from Illinois" being responded to by "oh, Chicago?" No. If I was from Chicago (or any suburb within 45 minutes of Chicago), I would say I was from Chicago.)

I have way more affection for the charlotte hornets puffy starter jackets that all my classmates wore.

Holy hell Blatter is resigning.  I won't expect this will cure the mountain of ailments that plague FIFA but that is a wonderful step.  Now if he winds up in handcuffs at some point in the near future too, that would be wonderful.

Holy hell Blatter is resigning.  I won't expect this will cure the mountain of ailments that plague FIFA but that is a wonderful step.  Now if he winds up in handcuffs at some point in the near future too, that would be wonderful.

Can we start betting on chances he will end up in Russia?

Gotta wonder if the eventual successor will call for a revote on either or both of the 2018/2022 cups.

Hope so

Can we start betting on chances he will end up in Russia?

Don't know if it'll be Russia, but it'll be somewhere without an extradition treaty with the U.S. He's already spent the last two years making sure not to set foot here because he thought he'd be arrested if he did.

The Chicago Bulls just hired Fred Hoiberg from Iowa State.  I'm happy that Hoiberg is getting a shot at coaching in the NBA, but I'm personally bummed we won't be playing against him anymore.  KU v ISU has been the best rivalry in the Big 12, with great tense games and he's just one of the classiest guys in all of NCAA sports. 

thefncrow, I had heard the same thing about his fear of even coming to the US for that reason.  Weirdly though in the last few days there were multiple reports about him coming to the US or Canada for the Women's World Cup or Gold Cup.  Maybe those were just outright lies or hubris but between the rapid about face and how recent those articles are from I wonder if he just got some confirmation recently that it was his turn very soon.  Really hope he isn't able to escape extradition though I doubt it.  

But at least we'll get to see John Oliver drink Bud Light and McDonald's out of this whole fiasco.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9872677/under-fire-fifa-chief-sepp-blatter-plans-us-trip

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32969143

My bf is a lifelong Cleveland fan, and this is going to be a torturous week and a half living with him because he's going to be so stressed the whole time, especially with the seeming severity of the Kyrie knee injury.

The US just scored in the 89th and 90th minutes to beat the Netherlands in soccer for the first time ever, by a score of 4-3.

I believe that we will win!

There has been a LOT of nervous beer drinking done in the apartment I share with my Cleveland Cavaliers fan boyfriend. We will likely need to invest in another 12-18 pack of bud light by the time this series is over.

Its been a great series so far. Delly comes from the same country town where I went to High School, so facebook has been flooded with people all of a sudden loving NBA :P If you'd asked me at the start of the season who I'd prefer to win I would have said Warriors.....but after all the Cav's injuries pretty hard not to go for the under dog.  

The US just scored in the 89th and 90th minutes to beat the Netherlands in soccer for the first time ever, by a score of 4-3.

I believe that we will win!

And now the US beats Germany 2-1. :D USMT... World Cup 2018 Champs?!

(No)

I was in Amsterdam Arena about a month and a half ago for an Ajax game.  Therefore, I take all credit for the US win over the Dutch and let's just tack on the Germany one as well.  

This past week has been really good for not just the US Men but so far the Women and U-23/U-20 teams.

I'm drunk, my tiny country has beaten another tiny, country, and we (might) have qualified for a tournament in the first time since 1958 so     :greatscott:  :P  B)  :tup:  :eyebrow:  ^_^  :wtf:  :wtz:  :eek:  ;):sombrero:

(i blame the profusion of emoticons wholly on the fact i cant embed the gif of my choice!)

Seattle Sounders Soccer lost the first round of the open cup tonight, in a pretty shitty fashion, ending the game in overtime with 7 players on the field. I feel crappy for having watched it, and for asking my wife to pick me up after. just generally crappy about the whole thing really. Oh well.

I've been trying to watch the Women's world cup, but since the matches are played in the middle of the night in EEST time zone, I haven't managed to watch any. Cool to see that reigning champion Japan went through their group, now the actual tough matches begin. Hilarious to see that it looks that Sweden's team did not make it out of the group stage.

Finland really has sucked in the European qualifications on men's side. We are worse than Faroe Islands at the moment! So finally our crap coach got fired and now the position is open for all national and international applicants and a new coach will be appointed in August. Hopefully it will be some guy who knows how to organize defence and find some guys to score also goals.

It was nice to see also Kimmo Timonen finally won a Stanley Cup, now the 40 year old veteran can quit his career on the top.

My boyfriend looked so crushed last night after the finals game. Cleveland sports are probably cursed.

Chicago Blackhawks won their third Stanley Cup in 6yrs the other night which is pretty incredible considering the changes to salary cap after the players union strikes, Also, after this year there is little chance the whole group is able to stay together the way contracts are ending.  Very cool "dynasty" to be a fan throughout and have gone to some of the play off games in the past years. 

People around these parts are getting better about it (over the last 8yrs), but still long time hockey fans are all irritable about bandwagon fans joining the fray when they started playing well in 2008-9.  

It feels very video-game elitist which is annoying.  Without the massive influx of people tickets, merch, and whatever other forms of income would still be lower NHL tier, these whiners complain that people watch not knowing the game, history, and just drive up ticket prices.  As far I care - whats good for hockey and Chicago is good to have.

This is an important distinction- the labor actions taken in the last decade in the NHL were lockouts, not strikes. That means ownership initiated the action when a deal could not be reached, not the player's union.

There has not been a player's strike in North America since the 1994-1995 MLB season was cut short. The NBA work stoppages were lockouts, the NFL threatened loss of games was a lockout, the replacement referee debacle in the NFL was a lockout.

Clearly ownership is winning the media battle, because these just get referred to as strikes anyway.