TheLastBaron

Sports

I will always talk about the Stanley Cup playoffs, it's just that the Flyers were weirdly mediocre and missed being in them. Hockey playoffs are still the best form of playoffs.

NBA Playoffs start and the Mavs are playing the Rockets and I'm sure to develop an ulcer from the stress that I put myself through each playoff season.

Being on the West Coast makes it much harder to watch basketball because of time zones. When I lived in the Midwest I would watch like 3 games a night most nights of the week while doing homework & hanging out, but now I'm lucky if I catch half a game.

Man, I completely missed Hockey this year. I just haven't had a lot of time to watch sports I guess. I hope Seattle gets a team eventually so I'll have more reason to follow it closely.

I love the NHL playoffs. Very little is better than playoff hockey.

I caught the second period of Caps/Isles, the second half of the 3rd period to the end of Preds/Hawks, and the last 10 minutes of Flames/Canucks. So good.

NBA Playoffs start and the Mavs are playing about to be destroyed by the Rockets...

FTFY. <3

Pretty bummed that OKC didn't make the playoffs this year....was a pretty painful season. 

I lived in Norman, OK for about 9 months, and OKC fans there are insufferable.

I know there are nice people who like the Thunder, and I have to remind myself of that constantly or else I become a bitter monster.

jeremywc, I'm not even going to dignify that with any real response except :P & <3

jeremywc, I'm not even going to dignify that with any real response except :P & <3

What's the point of a rivalry if you don't engage in (non-serious) trash talking?

Pure seething hatred? : )

(I am not actually invested in any NBA rivalries as I am a fairly new fan, and as a result have not had much heartbreak. I'm much more invested in my NFL rivalries, specifically my distaste for the Chicago Bears.)

My favorite thing is the imagined rivalry of Dallas/OKC and how fans of the Thunder talk about it all the time like it's a real thing.

I was a fan of Seattle back in the day and followed them when they moved ( obv wished they managed to stay in Seattle but whatevs ). I would say there is more of a Rockets/OKC rivalry than Dallas mainly based on Beverly taking out Westbrook and the whole Harden trade. Rockets games seem to get pretty heated.

Going for Chicago or Warriors now that my horse is out ;)

I was a fan of Seattle back in the day and followed them when they moved ( obv wished they managed to stay in Seattle but whatevs ). I would say there is more of a Rockets/OKC rivalry than Dallas mainly based on Beverly taking out Westbrook and the whole Harden trade. Rockets games seem to get pretty heated.

Going for Chicago or Warriors now that my horse is out ;)

The Rockets and Thunder/Sonics rivalry goes back to the early 90's when the Rockets could never get past the Sonics in the playoffs. But you're right that it's not really a huge focus for Rockets fans. We save our real venom for the Jazz. :)

Re: NHL playoffs.  I'm a Bruins fan so I'm kind of bummed we ended up not making it at the very end, it came down to the last game which is always rough.  Boston were super inconsistent all season though so it probably would have been a first round knockout anyways, though if they hadn't slipped the last two games they would have ended up where the Senators are and I always enjoy seeing the B's play Montreal.  At this point I don't really care who wins the cup for the most part.  The exceptions are Montreal and Vancouver, and then to a lesser extent the Rangers and the Islanders.  I have some friends rooting for the Wild so I'm watching them, but I don't have high hopes, especially against Saint Louis.

Watching the Flames-Canucks game tonight. Gave up when the last minute and a half of the third period reached the 10 minutes of real time mark due to all the fights that were breaking out. God, they played well, but this was fucking embarrassing. It's really hard to justify liking hockey when this is all that people who don't watch the games see. Blugh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-brain-going-bad.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I read this a long time ago and after that my stomach turned and I couldn't justify to myself holding even a passing interest in the NHL. It's so easy to cut that part out of the game and instantly make the lives of the players better & I could in good conscience be even a casual fan.

I don't know why any sport allows fighting. In my book, you shouldn't touch a player of the opposing team after the play is over, even to help them up, period.

I don't know why any sport allows fighting. In my book, you shouldn't touch a player of the opposing team after the play is over, even to help them up, period.

I definitely am the opposite here, I really like seeing players on opposite teams helping each other.  Granted it happens the most in soccer, which is a sport where attacking another player is probably the most severely punished, but when I see something like a player helping someone on the other team with a cramp it makes me happy.

muscle-cramp.jpg

As far as hockey, I don't really know.  I don't care about the Sharks, but even if I did them having someone like John Scott on their team would be enough to make me stop.  On the other hand I really like Zdeno Chara so like I said, I dunno.

I really like seeing players helping each other up. I don't like it when players act like they truly hate each other on the field/court/rink/etc, so a little compassion makes me happy.

I definitely am the opposite here, I really like seeing players on opposite teams helping each other.  Granted it happens the most in soccer, which is a sport where attacking another player is probably the most severely punished, but when I see something like a player helping someone on the other team with a cramp it makes me happy.

muscle-cramp.jpg

As far as hockey, I don't really know.  I don't care about the Sharks, but even if I did them having someone like John Scott on their team would be enough to make me stop.  On the other hand I really like Zdeno Chara so like I said, I dunno.

See I notice all the time in soccer where one guy is down and folks from the other team come and try to pick him up or otherwise mess with them and the guy on the ground is swatting them away.

Well most of the time when someone stays on the ground they're trying to waste time and don't want to be helped up, or they dove trying to get a call and didn't and don't want to immediately get back up because they'll look even dumber. If it's something serious they'll have a trainer come on the field, but then the player is required to leave the field and can't come back on until the ref gives them permission.

I can see why it bothers people, especially in the more aggressive situations where the player just grabs the other player and pulls him to his feet, but I don't think players should have the option to help opposing players removed just because sometimes the opposing players don't want to be helped. It makes me think of when Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal) had his leg broken and the only player on the pitch who didn't freak out and stayed calm was Glenn Whelan (Stoke) who went over and tried to calm him down and made sure he couldn't see his leg. Afterwards Ramsey wrote in the papers how thankful he was to Whelan. Not going to post a picture because it's graphic (I think some players on the field threw up). For the record Ramsey is fine now, he's one of Arsenal's best players.

The spookiest homerun video: http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/video/v94193483/cwsbal-davis-crushes-threerun-shot-to-right-field

Baseball's not really my bag but this is so weird (even having seen a fair number of empty stands for european soccer games). Bad play by the MLB, I'd say. Disallowing fans from a game is only ever a punishment and that is just not what Baltimore as a city deserves or needs right now.

Less seriously, there's a new article from Breaken Madden guy: http://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/28/8500333/nba-y2k-ten-years-to-midnight

The Eagles are about to burn their team to the ground to draft Marcus Mariota and I'm going to feel extreme ways about this in like an hour.