toblix

Obduction: Rand Miller & Cyan Worlds Kickstarter

My partner and I played through all of this last week and enjoyed it a lot. I really enjoy how much of the game requires you to think about the makeup and backstory of the world in order to solve puzzles and traverse. I had a lot of cool moments trying things out and being pleasantly surprised to find how internally consistent the whole thing is.

I got a few hours into this last night. As someone who has bounced off of Myst, Riven, and various other similar games in my younger years, this hits the cool points of those games but largely leaves behind the frustration. I've really enjoyed myself a lot. However, now I am stuck, so my tone might change tonight when I go to beat my head against it again this evening.

What are you stuck on? I'm also a few hours in (10, maybe?) and really enjoying it. I got super stuck on one thing and finally sought out a hint. I hate doing that, but I was so far off the mark on that particular thing that I doubt I would have figured it out on my own.

I've also been enjoying this. The structure of the world actually reminds me of Dark Souls, with paths circling back on themselves and giving you shortcuts into places you've been before. It's been a while, but I don't really remember anything like that in Myst and it's cool to see it here.

Being as vague and confusing as possible, I'm stuck on Arizona. :)

Being a bit less vague

I'm stuck on the 6 digit code to get into what I think is the final tower on the Earth area, above the Mayor's office. I found the clue mentioned in the documents on the table immediately (Arizona) but I'm not sure how to use that hint to get a 6 digit code.

I don't think I'm quite desperate for help yet. I saw a couple of things on a map and the GB Quickook that might lead somewhere.

Being as vague and confusing as possible, I'm stuck on Arizona. :)

Same thing I was stuck on. If you do get fed up with it, I think I could nudge you in the right direction without giving anything away.

My partner and I played through all of this last week and enjoyed it a lot. I really enjoy how much of the game requires you to think about the makeup and backstory of the world in order to solve puzzles and traverse. I had a lot of cool moments trying things out and being pleasantly surprised to find how internally consistent the whole thing is.

This is what I always loved about Myst, and those elements are my favourite about the puzzles in Obduction too! 

Less fun were the puzzles where I already knew what I had to do, but there was a lot of tedium in executing them. I feel like there was a lot less of that in the Myst games. Especially towards the end of Obduction, that kind of grated on me, but that's my biggest criticism of an otherwise really enjoyable puzzle game. I really hope Cyan has made enough money on Obduction to make another Cyan-ass Cyan game. I love the strange worlds they build and I want to see mooooore.

I notice that a lot of people who tried Myst as a little kid, then never went back to it, still talk about it as this incomprehensibly abstract puzzle game, but I think if one were to return to them now as an adult, you'll find that Myst and Obduction aren't that different from one another. It's very much the same style of puzzling. Although I suppose Myst/Riven (especially Riven) needed way more note taking, which I didn't really end up needing to do for Obduction. It's also one of the few types of games where I actually have the patience for taking notes.

I figured out Arizona, and got stuck again shortly after. I guess I'll spend another night thinking on it and see what comes to me.