melmer

PlayStation+

Just for yucks, I looked through my "download list" and it is overwhelming.  It's great that PS+ gives you so much in the package, but for those of us that already feel guilty at the size of our backlog, it can be overwhelming.  I know there's no requirement to download every game that PS+ makes available for free, but psychology we are tuned to hoard free stuff--at least when it's digital it doesn't lead to a crazy clutter-filled house.

I may have to delegate the playing of these games to my family at some point!

Man, I'm starting to feel like I'm getting my PS4's worth just from buying the system and having PS+. Sony, congrats on continuing to earn my loyalty as a customer.

Man, I'm starting to feel like I'm getting my PS4's worth just from buying the system and having PS+. Sony, congrats on continuing to earn my loyalty as a customer.

I'm holding out to get PS+ for the PS4 until they start giving away bigger titles.  I don't expect that'll be at until the Fall if not later, but there's a distinct chance they'll have a good month after E3 with some HOT game being added.

(That, or if they put HBOGO behind the paywall.  I would absolutely pay $50/year to be able to access my parent's hbogo account on the ps4.  hooking up my laptop is tiresome!!! :P )

HBOGO is not a thing in Canada, but I've had PS+ for 2 years anyway and it was just kind of a "oh hey, I have a free Resogun" when I got my PS4. It had already given me almost everything that's super essential to play on Vita for free-to-cheap, now it's double awesome to have!

Just for yucks, I looked through my "download list" and it is overwhelming.  It's great that PS+ gives you so much in the package, but for those of us that already feel guilty at the size of our backlog, it can be overwhelming.  I know there's no requirement to download every game that PS+ makes available for free, but psychology we are tuned to hoard free stuff--at least when it's digital it doesn't lead to a crazy clutter-filled house.

I may have to delegate the playing of these games to my family at some point!

On my list that I've been keeping to forward my goal of "beat more games than I buy this year" I eventually had to put in a new column to keep track of things I got for free rather than purchased, or else it would be impossible to keep up. It's a good time to be a gamer.

US PS+ for July

PS4 - Towerfall Ascension, Strider

PS3 - Dead Space 3, Vessel

Vita - Muramasa Rebirth, Doki Doki Universe

EU PS+

Only difference is Lego Batman 2 instead of Muramasa (sorry, that sucks!)

So stoked!

Damn, the vita games don't interest me, but I was going to get Towerfall and Strider when I finally get around to purchasing the PS4 for Destiny. A side point, has anyone in the UK noticed that the white PS4 Destiny bundle isn't available on Amazon? It's in GAME, but I hate that store and would really rather avoid purchasing anything from there.

We also got Muramasa 2 months ago so that's understandable. Plus I've still not finished Dragon's Crown, so a month of no interesting games is fine by me.

Wait, the PS4 version of Strider? Damn, that would mean I would technically own it and not be able to play it. :|

Oh well, at least I get to play Dead Space 3 for free, it's one of those game I would only play if I did get through PSN+. :P

Damn, the vita games don't interest me, but I was going to get Towerfall and Strider when I finally get around to purchasing the PS4 for Destiny. A side point, has anyone in the UK noticed that the white PS4 Destiny bundle isn't available on Amazon? It's in GAME, but I hate that store and would really rather avoid purchasing anything from there.

We also got Muramasa 2 months ago so that's understandable. Plus I've still not finished Dragon's Crown, so a month of no interesting games is fine by me.

I read that as "Muramasa 2" at first and was excited before I realized what you meant. That game was good (I played it on my friend's wii). Would be neat if it comes to PSN on not vita.

Muramasa is a damn good video game, so make sure y'all pick that up.

Oh man, that is some great PS4 pickings. I may need more DS4s for Towerfall now that I'll have it. My friend has the PC version and it gets a LOT of play when I roll over there.

i guess i'll be able to use my Vita as a second Towerfall controller....

I bought Strider and played through it when it was released, definitely worth your time if you like metroidvania style game although don't expect it to set you world alight

I doubt i'll ever turn my PS3 on again so those games are irrelevant to me. I did complete Dead Space 3 so it couldnt have been that bad (its was really bad), just go in with the lowest of low expectations

Whats a Vessel? i must googles

My PS+ auto-renewed a couple of weeks ago which freaked me out a little as i don't remember every opting to auto-renew, cheeky gits

I bought a PS4 last week and am deeply regretting not having added all the free things when I could've. I've begrudgingly bought Resogun as it's on sale this week but please people, do not make the same mistake as me. I want Outlast but I don't quite £15 want it.

You know how the permanent games that are on PS+ for a year (I think it's currently X-Com, Uncharted (?) and LBP Karting), is it July they're due to change? 

I don't believe how that works anymore. The first Tuesday of every month they'll put two games per platform on the service. At the following Tuesday, six new games will go up and all the old ones will go down. I believe this started in June, so all the previous semi-permanent PS+ offerings are gone.

Boo. Uncharted 3 is still on the EU web storefront's PS+ section which is what made me think of it, but none of the others are now you mention it.

Booted up one of the new games for PS4 this month:  Road Not Taken.

The developers of Triple Town on mobile (Spry Fox).  That game felt so elegant, but the puzzle aspect of it was quite punishing.  It was fun to play a few times, but then I couldn't figure out why I'd want to play more (nothing to unlock, no new boards, no one to high score chase with).

Road Not Taken has a similar art style and tile-based boards.  The cut scenes are weirdly choppy, and the transition between screens feels sloppy, but otherwise this game is oozing with atmosphere and style.  I immediately felt compelled to attend to the task and solve the puzzles.

But then some really weird flavor text appeared when I spoke to the "mothers" after saving their children.  Something along the lines of "Being a mother is a full time job."  Another was along the lines of "Being a mother is a great sacrifice, but ultimately worth it."

It gave me pause.  Very intrigued to keep playing.

September Games in EU have been announced:

Entering PS Plus(EU):
PS4: Velocity 2X, Sportsfriends

PS3: PlayStation Allstars Battle Royale, Hoard

Vita: TxK, Joe Danger PS Vita

Great news about Sportsfriends. TxK is pretty good too, don't really know about the rest.

Booted up one of the new games for PS4 this month:  Road Not Taken.

The developers of Triple Town on mobile (Spry Fox).  That game felt so elegant, but the puzzle aspect of it was quite punishing.  It was fun to play a few times, but then I couldn't figure out why I'd want to play more (nothing to unlock, no new boards, no one to high score chase with).

Road Not Taken has a similar art style and tile-based boards.  The cut scenes are weirdly choppy, and the transition between screens feels sloppy, but otherwise this game is oozing with atmosphere and style.  I immediately felt compelled to attend to the task and solve the puzzles.

But then some really weird flavor text appeared when I spoke to the "mothers" after saving their children.  Something along the lines of "Being a mother is a full time job."  Another was along the lines of "Being a mother is a great sacrifice, but ultimately worth it."

It gave me pause.  Very intrigued to keep playing.

Road Not Taken is super weird. I feel like the actual puzzling is really well conceived, logical, and challenging, but man everything surrounding it is oblique and seemingly half-finished. I kinda just wish it was a pure puzzle game like Triple Town without all the stuff in between.

Ug Hoard. I still have a sour taste about that game after I saw it at PAX, played the demo at home, and then bought it as soon as it came on Steam, but my computer kept saying it was the demo and not letting me play. Their customer support was less than helpful and they eventually just stopped responding to me outright.

Road Not Taken is super weird. I feel like the actual puzzling is really well conceived, logical, and challenging, but man everything surrounding it is oblique and seemingly half-finished. I kinda just wish it was a pure puzzle game like Triple Town without all the stuff in between.

Glad someone else tried it!  I agree about the "everything surrounding", though I think the whole thing feels relatively unpolished.  The house where you're supposed to put trinkets?  The basement full of "bad things" that you can turn off?  I've played for a few hours at this point and not even 1/8 of one of the rooms is full of stuff, which leads me to believe that there's a lot of game there, but then I'm kind of scared to think about trying to find the one thing I need when it's all just laid out in rooms like that.

The puzzles are sometimes just impossible.  Whoops the wolves ate all of the needed deer, and you can't figure out why you can only pick up the statues every once in a while, so you lost.  Something about the pacing of each playthrough feels a bit too laborious, like they were trying to make a puzzle-y Spelunky, but didn't nail the feel.  You lose in Spelunky, *whoosh* you're immediately starting over.  This has just enough "stuff" outside of playing that it slows down to a point of more often than not just turning off the game rather than that whole just-one-more.

But, I'm still pretty intrigued by the whole thing.  It feels ambitious, and any game that throws around questions about the role and worth of being a parent is cool by my book.

I've put some time into Road Not Taken. I don't mind the town segments personally. They're good respite from watching children cry and get eaten, and you get to exchange your supplies from the previous level for items and some unnerving dialogue. But I have very mixed feelings on the puzzles. Sometimes they can be really challenging and interesting, but then they are often brutal to the point of being unfair. Like In later areas there are these wisps that just zigzag straight to the kids and vanish with them. Or god help you if an animal poos in a room your in, because that means these self replicating flowers will soon bloom out of it and literally fill the entire room making it unsolvable. The wolf example is also a good one. It can be very very frustrating.

And while I appreciate the fact that the game requires you to discover how the various items interact and combine, there's often no real intuitive aspect to it, so the element of discovery isn't so much fun experimentation as it is just throwing things around blindly. Ax plus tree makes wood? Sure. Two apples make a potion of movement? What? And the combinations with the blue flame can be especially strange. I suppose this is less of an issue once most of the combinations have been sussed out, but it's not very compelling.

Even with these complaints, there is something really engaging about the gameplay and atmosphere. I'll probably find myself coming back to it now and then.

I gave Road not Taken a try too, but it didn't really click with me. I found the puzzles to be fairly entertaining but I totally agree with Jon. Why do I have to do this other crap to get to the puzzles? I just want to do the puzzles, with a cool art style that reminds me of Jawas from Star Wars. The puzzles weren't entertaining enough for me to keep pushing through.

I feel like the game would be better for the xbone though - it's a decent game to play while watching a movie or TV. Being able to pin it to the side of my screen while I'm watching something would be super good. I didn't try cross play with it, but it'll probably be fun on the vita.

When PS+ hits I have to remind myself to stay away from gaf. I don't get the hatred people have for indie games. It's just confusing.