Sign in to follow this  
Berzee

Best Playable Elderly Folk In Games?

Lots of games have ancient sages who will give you cryptic prophecies and whatnot, but I desire to know your favorite Venerable Protagonists.

NOTE: I am mostly interested in characters who are basically realistically aged and don't have some kind of superpower that keeps them powerful and vibrant forever. So millenia-old elf-lords don't count, and I'm not sure if Kreia from KotOR 2 counts (also because she's just a party-member and therefore only sort of "playable"), but the lady from The Graveyard would qualify certainly (though she is maybe not super cool enough to be on our list?!)

I should be able to think of more (at least from adventure games surely) but I can't! I was going to say the lady from Graveyard Graveyard Revolution is pretty neat, but it's hard to be sure of her age and she might break the nebulous guidelines described above. =P

How about The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom?

Damnit that was my one

Um metal gear solid 4

My fav, Kyle Katarn in jedi knight mysteries of the sith (he had grey bits in his hair = OLD)

Lots of old fuckers in fighting games, didn't a Gen player win Evo this year?

The Master Chief's supposed to be in his mid forties, so he's practically ancient by standards of Video game protagonists. (Fan favorite Avery Johnson was supposed to be in his late sixties, but still fighting thanks to future medicine drawing out the average life expetancy.)

Heihachi is the biggest badass in Tekken, but they recently de-aged him with magic potions. (Because Tekken.) He still appears to be a man at least in his 40's though.

Rabbi Stone is no spring chicken. The protagonist in Dear Esther might be old. You can roleplay old people in stuff like the Fallout games. The unseen avatar that represents you in most strategy games is potentially pretty old, given that you're old and experienced enough to be given command of entire armies and so on. You can play as old people in a game like Crusader Kings. Some of the characters in The Ship are pretty old I think. You, the evil genius in Evil Genius, are at least somewhat old. You can get pretty old in Tropico. Mount and Blade lets you get old (I think your stats go down).

How about Galuf in Final Fantasy V?  There's no real gameplay difference when you command this old man, though.  He's got the same hit points and menu options as everybody else.

Putting in support for Grumpos from Anachronox.

Yammer is probably the best ability ever conceived.

Obvious pick imo:

iUeR2iQiBEp0i.jpg

Nope, he's not old. Just has a white beard.

I am under the working assumption that Manny Calavera has been around for quite some time...

sneak-king.jpg

Darth vadar is an old man, you control him on a wookie slaughter in force unleashed 2

Geralt is a grey head

Scrooge McDuck. Geez you guys

Excellent choice!  His use of a cane comes directly from age-related mobility issues.  Though, er, few real-life seniors use their canes as pogo sticks.

And he's voiced by a 93-year-old man!

MGS4 tried really hard to make this a mechanic. Snake would get tired and experience battle stress. On the lower difficulties it makes almost no difference but from my understanding it factors into how you play if yo turn the difficulty up. While it's not entirely natural aging I did enjoy much of what they did with Snake in MGS4. 

Rabbi Stone is no spring chicken.

I liked his characterization at the beginning, but he pretty much turns into an action movie hero near the end. (concrete spoilers)

Fisticuffs in the subway? The whole endgame puzzle where he intentionally gets shot but still has the energy to navigate a conversation tree and throw a guy from his penthouse balcony?

I'd add Increpare's Home.

Subverts the Sims' systems by putting you in control of an elderly nursing home patient that is increasingly incapable of taking care of their own needs, gradually losing autonomy over their life.