melmer

Cookie Clicker

Oh, this is like that candy game a bit... I had a bit of "Frog Fractions" moments when I didn't get it... I'm not sure I do, but I do get it more than before?

Live feed from elmuerte's office:

UMTXuuh.gif

Watchin' them kookie add up.

Oh, this is like that candy game a bit... I had a bit of "Frog Fractions" moments when I didn't get it... I'm not sure I do, but I do get it more than before?

It's a cute game but it is not like Candy Box.  Or Frog Fractions.  What you see is what you get.  You keep increasing the cookie counter... and keep increasing the cookie counter.  There are some funny achievements to find but there isn't another level to it.  I was really sad because the person that sent me the game was all, "it's like Candy Box!" and I was waiting and waiting for my mind to be blown and then nothing.  Now I do my duty and warn others.  Check it out but just know it really is all about the cookie counts.

I highly recommend http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/ for a game that actually is like Candy Box.

I guess that's cool but kinda strange to add that stuff incrementally if the systems are expected to interact.  That's what makes Candy Box and A Dark Room work so well.

Actually, I think Cookie Clicker would be torture for Cookie Monster. You just can't eat millions of digital cookies.

Wonder if there's a correlation between how easily one gets addicted to a game like this and how susceptible one is to addiction in general. :D

I'm finding the dynamics with people playing the game are half the fun. Some people like just clicking through it, others enjoy applying the tools they've learned to the problem like marginal cost analysis for the more financial mind or linear optimization for the mathematicians, some people simply cheat, others like discussing the game like it's a sport. It's as fun as people watching.

So close to 100 Alchemy Labs... 

Making 201 MCpS right now... 65% of upgrades unlocked... 72% of achievements... I am losing my mind. Cookies everywhere. I am descending into crunchy, choclatey madness...

I'm missing 2 cheevos (probably golden cookie clicks). And 3 unlocks.. but I think those a debug/dev unlocks

Nope they're not. But to what lengths will you go to find them?????

The reset ones are actually completely simplistic once you reach the endgame.  If you can manage the highest reset one you get all the ones below it as well.

What I actually like about this more than candy box is that it's a much better game to play.  The ultimate endgame nececitates having the three golden cookie upgrades, whereby optimally you'll play it by having it open in a tiny, golden-cookie-sized browser window and click on it every time it spawns for a maybe 4-8x higher CpS than your base.  Every time you soft reset you gain a permanent prestige multiplier to CpS based on total cookies baked, and that carries through all soft resets.  It ends up being a math toy, a fun distraction while you're listening to a podcast or watching esports (for me anyways :P) where the numbers go infinitely up and up as you increase your prestige multiplier.  Plus every time you reset you get that satisfaction of utterly wrecking the start and mid-game even faster than the last time you did.

All that said I don't know if I'd enjoy this as a monetized product.  Certainly making it F2P with payments for things would defeat the purpose (as does cheating), and I don't know how I'd think of it if I had paid money up front, I might feel impelled to treat it as the main focus.

Oh, this thread exists! Who else is (still) playing this? A big update is incoming sometime in the next weeks; not the dungeons, but new buildings/upgrades, a huge re-spec of all cost/cps curves, plus a permanent upgrade system where you can buy bonuses using heavenly chips. It's an exciting time to be alive!

I'm still working on reaching 200 prisms, resetting once a week for that sweet Monday morning build-up to 320 cursors and 200 AMCs, then setting into the slow Excel churn for the rest of the week. I've realized that I most likely won't reach my goal before the update is released, which will re-balance everything and throw my whole bakery into chaos.

One of the moral quandaries I'm struggling with as a mid-level cookie clicker, is how much tooling is permitted. I've made an Excel sheet that I feed some basic figures and it gives me some useful info like what my minimum level of cookies should be, and the cps/cookies ratio for each building (sadly not including cross-building effects like what cursors have) Though a colleague is running a browser extension that gives him all this (and more) in the game's UI, I feel like that's taking it too far, and is approaching cheating, almost. Still, I've come to the realization that each cookie clicker must set their own bounds for what's morally defensible, and that it's up to each of us to set our own limitations for a safe and enjoyable experience. Who's to say what is the right way to play Cookie Clicker?