Nelsormensch

Netrunner!

As promised (now that I'm back in Vancouver), let's talk about Netrunner! Who plays? Which factions? Why is this game so god damn awesome?

On the insane off chance, if anyone lives in Vancouver and wants me to teach them how to play, I'm happy to do so. Otherwise, if anyone plays on OCTGN, maybe arrange a Thumbs night on there or something? I'm happy to teach people who already know the game how to play on OCTGN too, despite it being an unholy mess.

(I realize Netrunner isn't technically a Vidja Gaem, but I think it's close enough)

I actually have a copy I got from a Reddit exchange that I need to learn how to play.

Unfortunately, I live in Toronto, so I can't play with you and I don't have OCTGN (I don't really want to get it either, as I'm obsessed enough with this game as is).

Right now, I've got a Haas-Bioroid: Custom Biotics deck with some Scorched Earth action and an Andromeda deck that focuses on scoring Notoriety. A triple Notoriety turn is tough to pull off, but so, so satisfying when it happens. Once I get opening moves, I'll probably have two Corp decks and two Runner decks at a time. I think I'll add a Jinteki: Replicating Perfection screw-you-up-with-weird-ice deck and a Kate Replicator deck.

When my friend invites me over to play his massive collection, I usually build and run a (fairly generic) Jinteki deck. I like the bluffing element of ICE, even though I know that there's better corporations for building strong engines or murdering runners.

h yeah, I should probably say I'm running Jinteki: PE (core) and Shaper Kit (not Kate). I absolutely adore Jinteki. My first and forever greatest corp love. I'm finally experimenting with something else, at least until I get my copy of Opening Moves. Put together and NBN thing and it's really fun thus far. Good lord do I love Closed Accounts. Nothing like someone hitting you with an Account Siphon only to have you turn around and burn every credit the runner has.

I actually have a copy I got from a Reddit exchange that I need to learn how to play.

Yes, do it! I'll bring my decks next time I'm down in SF and maybe we could throw down sometime.

Unfortunately, I live in Toronto, so I can't play with you and I don't have OCTGN (I don't really want to get it either, as I'm obsessed enough with this game as is).

Right now, I've got a Haas-Bioroid: Custom Biotics deck with some Scorched Earth action and an Andromeda deck that focuses on scoring Notoriety. A triple Notoriety turn is tough to pull off, but so, so satisfying when it happens. Once I get opening moves, I'll probably have two Corp decks and two Runner decks at a time. I think I'll add a Jinteki: Replicating Perfection screw-you-up-with-weird-ice deck and a Kate Replicator deck.

You running Doppleganger in that Andromeda + Notoriety deck? I tried a white tree Jinteki deck and it was actually really fun. It's weird, but I think it's got potential for sure. I did a Chaos Theory Darwin + Replicator thing at the last tournament before PAX. It was weird, but fun. Darwin just DEVOURS credits though.

When my friend invites me over to play his massive collection, I usually build and run a (fairly generic) Jinteki deck. I like the bluffing element of ICE, even though I know that there's better corporations for building strong engines or murdering runners.

Anyone who says Jinteki isn't strong to play doesn't know how to play Jinteki. They're quirky sure, but in the right hands, they're just as potent as any other corp. And even though people think Bullfrog and Snowflake are bunk, I dunno, they're almost too fun not to want to use sometimes.

I just picked up a copy of the base set last saturday, largely on the strength of your advocacy on the podcast. I look forward to trying it out on my friends.

I remember back in the day I bought a starter set of the collectible version plus maybe some boosters from the first expansion (it was virus-themed as I recall) but didn't really get enough cards to make up both a viable corp and runner deck so I had a lot of trouble getting people into it back then, even though I've always adored the design.

Anyway, I'm not nearly as deep in the rabbit-hole as you guys (nor likely to be) but I'm very happy to see the resurgence of great designs in such a clever way. The Starwars Decipher game is another one that was great fun back then.

I remember back in the day I bought a starter set of the collectible version plus maybe some boosters from the first expansion (it was virus-themed as I recall) but didn't really get enough cards to make up both a viable corp and runner deck so I had a lot of trouble getting people into it back then, even though I've always adored the design.

I'm not sure who came up with the idea of Living Card Games as a replacement for CCGs but they need a great big hug and a pat on the back. It just solves so many problems. Picked up Netrunner about a month as research material for the football boardgame I've been working on in my spare time on because a friend said it created a really vivid sense of attack and defence and have been very impressed by what FF throw out just in the basic box.

I used to play MTG fairly seriously in my college days and would be interested to hear if people who played older CCG designs like MTG feel the LCG format tends to produce a more consolidated pool of top tier decks and more netdecking in organised tournaments, or if there is actually more variety and people are able to make more personalised decks because there are no chase rares that are prohibitively expensive.

My pet peeve about the whole concept is that Steve Jackson already showed that it works great with the illuminati card game. It took until dominion for other people to realise that selling huge boxes of nonrandom cards is viable.

You running Doppleganger in that Andromeda + Notoriety deck? I tried a white tree Jinteki deck and it was actually really fun. It's weird, but I think it's got potential for sure. I did a Chaos Theory Darwin + Replicator thing at the last tournament before PAX. It was weird, but fun. Darwin just DEVOURS credits though.

Doppleganger and Joshua B. Build up to a turn where I get the extra click from Joshua B, run archives and HQ click 1, run R&D click 2, then clicks 2, 3 and 4 are Notoriety. Hopefully that wins the game right there, but if it doesn't, I've got a Data Dealer which turns every Notoriety into a huge threat. Do you really want to lay down an Agenda when you know I can click for nine credits whenever I want?

The only problem right now is that the deck is too slow, mainly because I don't have the influence to spend on good breakers. Once I get Opening Moves, I'll swap out some Joshuas for Hostages, freeing up influence to replace Aurora and Peacock with Corroder and Yog.

Doppleganger and Joshua B. Build up to a turn where I get the extra click from Joshua B, run archives and HQ click 1, run R&D click 2, then clicks 2, 3 and 4 are Notoriety. Hopefully that wins the game right there, but if it doesn't, I've got a Data Dealer which turns every Notoriety into a huge threat. Do you really want to lay down an Agenda when you know I can click for nine credits whenever I want?

The only problem right now is that the deck is too slow, mainly because I don't have the influence to spend on good breakers. Once I get Opening Moves, I'll swap out some Joshuas for Hostages, freeing up influence to replace Aurora and Peacock with Corroder and Yog.

Oh man, Joshua B. + Doppleganger? Yeah, that's gross indeed, I like it. And man, I think you've the only person I know that runs Data Dealer. But with Notoriety, that's actually a pretty darn solid combo. What are you doing for econ? Just Kati + events?

To anyone in Vancouver thinking of taking Nels up on his offer to teach Netrunner, be warned, he is the author of this incredibly disturbing website: http://becomingbreckon.wordpress.com/

You can't tell me you wouldn't have done the same. In that, it would be impossible to resist doing so

I started watching this video on how to play the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g3w0B7txipk

This looks very difficult to learn unless someone is teaching it to you as you play. Looks really fun. If I can get the sense that I'll be able to figure out how to play it, I may buy the 252 card set for $40. My wife always wants to play Magic, but I have a hard time being excited about Magic. We might be able to get into this.

The manual that comes with the game is pretty good as far as rules, but it seems like the harder part is learning to be any good at it.

I haven't tried Netrunner yet but what I will say in regards to the LCG vs CTCG is that one of the most fun aspects of something like MtG is limited formats like drafting or sealed which are exclusive to collectible card games.

I haven't tried Netrunner yet but what I will say in regards to the LCG vs CTCG is that one of the most fun aspects of something like MtG is limited formats like drafting or sealed which are exclusive to collectible card games.

Ah, see, I've always found that to be the most offputting aspect of games like Magic.

I started watching this video on how to play the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g3w0B7txipk

This looks very difficult to learn unless someone is teaching it to you as you play. Looks really fun. If I can get the sense that I'll be able to figure out how to play it, I may buy the 252 card set for $40. My wife always wants to play Magic, but I have a hard time being excited about Magic. We might be able to get into this.

Following up this video with this one from Fantasy Flight could help too, if things are still a bit confusing: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=207&esem=4#video

I always found limited to be a really nice format to play competitively MTG every now and then, it solved (in a completely different way) the main problem I had with the constructed magic format (the cost & testing time involved in maintaining a good standard or block deck). 

Now we have games like dominion etc. that have basically brought that same format to a far larger audience I'm not sure however why I'd ever want to go back to play limited with its far higher cost/per game ratio (unless you rare drafted of course:P ).

I think what i like so far about Netrunner is even in this starter set there are multiple ways of building your decks.  I suspect however i would probably still get slaughtered if i attempted to play even semi competitive against someone with several expansions

Yeah, if you want to play competitively, you'll have to get at least a few expansions and likely a second core set, since there are several very good cards that the Core set only has 1 or 2 copies of. But if you just want to play with friends, you can go online, see which expansions have the cards you want and get those, or find a friend to play with and split expansions between each other.

man i tried to play this for the first time on OCTGN 

it is impossible 

Have you played the game already and were just trying on OCTGN or were you trying the game for the first time ever on OCTGN? If it's the latter, yeesh, yeah, that's a tough row to hoe. I'd definitely recommend some in-person games first.

But if you're familiar with the game and just not with OCTGN, I'm happy to show people the ropes on how that insane thing functions. If that's the case, I'm out of town for a few days, but DM me or something and we can figure out a time.

yeah i had never played before at all, i think i need to get a physical copy of the game and also a human to play it with

in the meatspace

I bought a copy of this when it came out, but haven't played it or even really perused the rules yet. I have a bad habit of accumulating things like board games that way. I guess I should check it out!

I'm a little sad that it's no longer set in the world of Cyberpunk 2020. Speaking of the past, old Netrunner had great (and sometimes crazy) art:

YhF7gkL.jpgc40jAcz.jpgHgBWJb8.jpgT8dwLha.jpgof6wTC8.jpg4paiawB.jpg73ttpAc.jpgGdkjz1S.jpg

It's all so very... cyber.

Yeah, this thread made me dig out my old cards, somehow most of the ones you posted are among them. Something definitely was lost in translation for me. It reminds me of how well the Shadowrun remake did in that respect.