tegan

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No.9

the dash power-ups are the only part i am slightly interested in

absorbing red gives you thru-shot bolts, green seems to increase speed, blue fills your e-tanks (that seem to go away after dying - which would be fine, except there are so many 1-hit/instant kills never get a chance to e-tank up).  The "yellow" boost - i cant seem to figure out, damage reduction?

i rage quit on pyro stage again last night.  after limping through the dash section with the falling smoke-stacks he always tackles me and 1-shot explodes.  i made the mistake of doing the water level next - the sluggish controls are so far exasperated by low gravity and very dark environments

Either i've crossed over into "old" and bad at games - or this is just a bad game

I'm glad i didnt back much more than the base level to get a PC code, i remember being tempted at the time for the art book & sound track

Also - whats with the exit game command - and then Call shows up saying Shut down Protocols or whatever...when i hit exit i want alt-f4 speed close out.

I finally got the Wii U code today. But I'm still missing the Ray DLC that everyone was supposed to get. I had to contact Comcept again regarding that. I'm actually a bit lost at how many DLCs there are for this game.

Loading times are "nice", even going to options in the main menu takes about 15 seconds of loading. After dying the loading is 27 seconds.

Haven't really played it further than the opening level yet, but yeah it doesn't look or feel that great...

Still missing my DLC codes. I hear the Steam PC version at least works quite ok, I should've just taken that. The Wii U version runs like shit as does apparently every other console version as well. Vita and 3DS version won't most likely ever even appear.

This is the most horrible managed Kickstarter since I backed The 90's Arcade Racer or the LA Game Space atrocity.

Here's a couple of excellent reviews of the game from trusted Honest trailers and Zero Punctuation.

Other KS mistake I did is a Greek dev's The 90's Arcade Racer which has gone a crazy bullshit few years development time with almost no development update posts and especially after Nicalis appeared as publisher everything went to hell.

I remember regretting not backing that...but it sounds like I dodged a bullet there at least.  (I still regret not backing mid-air, as it looks like the sort of game I want to play as soon as I can)

Did anyone else here opt for the 3DS/Vita version? Obviously it's still not out and there's complete radio silence from Comcept. From what I understand, the handheld port is in utter limbo, shunted out to yet another dev (http://engine-software.com/ - although they now only list the Vita version), with little or no money or inclination from Comcept to get it done. Which is understandable but how does Inafune do anything in the future without meeting these obligations? I know there's only about a dozen of us who still don't have the game, but there are

still outstanding physical rewards for backers, too. It's all a major black mark against his and his company's name. With refunds presumably a financial impossibility, will a quick and dirty Switch port surface? A rough Unreal engine port on Switch must be an easier proposition than pumping out a custom port on 3DS. They might even sell some copies while the Switch library is still thin.

Obviously I know they're not obliged to refund crowdfunded...funds. But if Comcept is to remain a going concern, this is going to be a big toxic albatross until they make good. Even then, Inafune

will forever have the stench of Dyack about him. It's such a shame he/they squandered all that goodwill. They shat in the well for everyone else, too. What a mess.

Since the Vita one was supposed to be Crossbuy, I got the PS3/PS4 version?

I could swear I've heard it's still upcoming and will likely exist?

After a year of silence, comcept updated their Kickstarter. You know, the one about Mighty No 9 where they made an ugly mediocre badly running game for some of the promised platforms and forgot to give people the physical and even some digital items they had pledged for.

It’s been a long time since our last update. This is due to some internal adjustment we had in comcept for the past few months, but now everything is back on track! We are very sorry for the long radio silence. Here is what is going with Mighty No. 9: 

1. Hand Held versions They are not being cancelled, we are still in the process of porting. The porting had to be put on hold for a while due to the other versions being delayed and the recent adjustment we had in comcept. However, everything is back on track now. The developer restarted the porting process in early May, and we estimate to release them within 2017 (it could be earlier, but it’s hard to estimate a more precise date at this point). We will update on this when we have more information. 

2. Rest of the physical rewards They have been manufactured (most of them), and are getting ready to be shipped out in a couple of weeks. We estimate to ship everything out (with some reaching the backers) by mid-August 2017. Again, we are very sorry for the delay. Fangamer will be sending out emails to everyone (who is waiting for rewards) to confirm the physical address before the shipping. We will update when the email is out, and if you by some reason DID NOT get the email, please contact Fangamer at [email protected] so they can verify the information. 

3. The “New Company” This is probably the biggest piece of news. As many of you may have heard, Akihiro Hino (LEVEL-5 CEO), and Keiji Inafune (comcept CEO) will be co-founding a new company “LEVEL5 comcept”. What does this mean, you ask? It means that Akihiro Hino, and Keiji Inafune will be teaming up to make new games!!! This does not affect Mighty No. 9 in any way, but who knows, maybe in the future Beck, and your favorite LEVEL-5 characters may be tagging along in new adventures? The possibilities are limitless here. 

That is all for this update. Hope we answered some of your questions/concerns with this update. We will try, and bring you the next update much sooner next time! 

Mighty No. 9 team 

My hope now is that this sudden purchase of comcept by Level-5 does not mean that Inafune will ruin Level-5 as well. Everyone needs to be really careful with what Level-5 puts out from now on. This was truly one of the worst Kickstarter I put money on, I totally fell for the hype. I should've known there was a reason why Inafune was kicked out of Capcom.

Because he kept being mouthy about the state of Japanese game development. 

It's been a long time since Inafune has done anything worthwhile, whole console generations have come and gone. I think he's basically squandered most of the goodwill he had; a lot of people had written him off before the Kickstarter, but after it's hard to imagine anyone taking a chance on his abilities. The only comparison I can think of is Daikatana.

Is Daikatana a good comparison? John Romero's reputation is not in the garbage anymore is it?

Well, John Romero is not let near AAA projects anymore, but he is still an excellent coder and a gaming legend. So his reputation sure is a bit better these days.

He was also pretty humbled by the failure of Daikatana, which counts for a lot. Hard to know if Inafune is humbled by the failure of Mighty No. 9.

Oh wow. Btw, if anyone is interested in picking this game up (for some reason), it's currently in the BTA tier of the Saint's Row bundle.

On 2016-07-19 at 0:01 PM, Kolzig said:

This is the most horrible managed Kickstarter since I backed The 90's Arcade Racer or the LA Game Space atrocity.

I thought the LA Game Space bundle turned out ok. I had fun playing Alphabet and Perfect Stride, but best of the bunch was definitely Videoheroes. Wish they'd expand it. Might work great as a VR game actually.

LA Game Space ended up missing entirely on some of the games they mentioned in their Kickstarter project. Also lack of communication about things after the Kickstarter was finished.