tegan

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No.9

Frankly, it's hard to tell if in-game content is important to backers or not, they seem to be always be in the same tier as the "get your name in the credits", "digital collector's editions" and similar offers. Has there been any Kickstarter that had a tier that only offered the "golden gun and silver top hat" treatment and nothing else? The ones I've checked always seem to offer something extra. 

I never meant to imply that a KS would not succeed if the didn't offer the "golden gun and and silver top hat", I just meant they needed rewards for those higher pledge tiers.

They have to fill the tiers between "soundtrack and artbook" and "I'll mow your lawn" tiers somehow. (I wasn't kidding about the mowing the lawn one, even though it's not a game KS.)

I got twenty seconds into that trailer before I had to stop.

BUT WHAT IF THE ROBOTS... WERE KILLER ROBOTS? what a twist

Beta level walkthrough

Hum, that really doesn't thrill me. I don't know what I was expecting really.

Boring

I can see it already, average reviews, poor reception, huge anti-climax, everyone forgets it even exists after a few weeks

I guess you were expecting something that looked even remotely like this:

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.j

Yes! That's exactly it. I didn't want to sound like a graphics whore but honestly it looks like shit. I pledged to play that game ^

You can add BACKLASH to my timeline of events

I saw this coming a while ago when they first released their prototype video. Disappointing but also I didn't back it so I'm not losing anything here.

Wow, that Beta demo has no real level design.  They might as well have Beck walking down a Final Fight street.

Other than that, I don't see anything too wrong.  Giving Beck limited power-ups based on his dash is a good corrective to Mega Man, where I rarely use special powers except in boss battles because I'm afraid to use them before I might need them!

It's hard to know how much this is a beta. Like, there's issues with the level design and lighting, but is that up for change?

Soooo, have you guys all received your platform survey some time these past two weeks?

I haven't :( I sent them an email and a kickstarter message and haven't heard anything back

i got mine a week or two back.  They sent a follow up saying having some technical difficulties with the survey process...which sounds suspect

Its halfway through July, if dont hear anything in the next week i think cause to escalate email/follow up frequency

I've emailed them like 3 times and sent them a message on kickstarter with no response. The deadline for the surveys was yesterday :/

I'm not that fussed, I'm sure it'll get sorted. i'll try emailing them again in a couple weeks. Might try posting something on the forum. I got the previous surveys about what to call the female sidekick etc

I've emailed them like 3 times and sent them a message on kickstarter with no response.

Keiji Inafune? More like Cagey Inafune.

o/

Seeing the way people are responding to this game and talking about this game gives the impression that it will suffer a spectacularly negative response when it comes out, and i'm saying that as a huge Megaman fan and somebody who thinks the game is actually looking pretty good.

I think the issue lies with the fact that what IntiCreates and Comcept are doing with this game seems very evocative of the Megaman games IntiCreates' was making towards the end of their involvement with the franchise. Lots of dashing and lots of melee and lots of weird and gimmicky systems, i don't think that's what people wanted or expected from this kickstarter. Mighty No 9 seems like a fairly natural progression of what they were already doing with Megaman, and while their Megaman games were actually really great games, I think people generally wanted more of an old-school throwback out of this kickstarter.

Anybody want to corroborate or refute that impression?

Also, just... It really is ugly. It has such a barren and lifeless look. There's not really any denying it.

Yeah, I watched some new footage the other day and it really does look quite poor. There's absolutely no way that a 2015 2D platformer has to look so dull.

think the issue lies with the fact that what IntiCreates and Comcept are doing with this game seems very evocative of the Megaman games IntiCreates' was making towards the end of their involvement with the franchise. Lots of dashing and lots of melee and lots of weird and gimmicky systems, i don't think that's what people wanted or expected from this kickstarter. Mighty No 9 seems like a fairly natural progression of what they were already doing with Megaman, and while their Megaman games were actually really great games, I think people generally wanted more of an old-school throwback out of this kickstarter.

I don't have any additional insight beyond the videos, but I agree that it looks like it borrows more from the MegaMan ZX series than the earlier games that people are probably more familiar with. The ZX games were good, but pretty hardcore and not as widely played.

I think it'll be fun to play for me, but I just wish it didn't look so ugly. I really can't get over that. ):

I'm prepping for something mediocre. I really haven't kept up with videos but it doesn't look awful to me. Functional, sparce, but I assume that's an intro level or something? The whole Red Ash Kickstarter and the way they handled this one smells a bit cynical, like they thought 'we need to launch this before MN9 just incase that tanks'. The second KS for this soured a lot of enthusiasm, I think, and knocked backers' confidence. I'm interested to see how Shenmue and Bloodstained progress. Shenmue in particular has a lot to prove after their bungled campaign.

What platforms are people getting this for? I'm going with 3DS. Love dat portability.

Got the survey three weeks ago. Had to choose Sony's crossbuy, though I would've wanted Wii U & 3DS crossbuy the most, but they were offering those only separately...