tegan

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No.9

It was never going to be 2D.

They were talking about 2.5D right from the start, there are even 3D models of Beck being animated in the pitch video. Don't be confused by the concept art on the Kickstarter page.

Anyways, prototype/proof of concept/tech demo or whatever, i like the way it looks.

Also, that's a good jump Beck has, just right away i can tell that is a good, crisp platformer jump. I am happy if that is representative of the feel they're going for.

Literally right below that it says:

Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens.

I'm substantially less interested in this as a 2.5D game than I would be if it were a proper 2D game with hand-drawn sprites.

Damn, it looks like it won't reach the Vita stretch goal... Which is the version I want the most, 2D games look gorgeous on the Vita.

Well, to rip apart the other part of this comment (2D part seems well trodden ground), it has reached the Vita/3DS goal through the PayPal component of the fundraiser which also contributes to stretch goals.

Anyways, I've been holding my money until the eleventh hour and as I scroll through the reward tiers in one window and my bank account in the other window, I think I'm going to hold off entirely. The good thing about Kickstarter is that when a game is a success and all you really want is the game, the safest choice seems the most rewarding - don't spend any money now, buy the game when it retails for likely the same price as everyone else who preordered. I'm not incredibly interested in the higher tiers than just the $20-for-just-the-game deal, so I'm happy to contribute to their day one sales number rather than their enormous Kickstarter number.

Glad to see it's such a smashing success, either way.

Yeah, as much as I love the project, paying 20$ just for a soundtrack sounds like too much... Although it seems it might reach the Vita goal after all! Is it me or did it beat Double Fine's record? 

WOOO!

3DS!

I will own this game twice over.

I want it on Steam, and i want it on 3DS.

I only remembered seeing this and convincing myself it was 2D:

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.j

With some good 3D artists it could still look close to that in 3D. Would be awesome if they did that.

Hmm, I wonder if they'll cell-shade the game? If the just cell shaded that test video I'd be... more or less content?

Hmm, I wonder if they'll cell-shade the game? If the just cell shaded that test video I'd be... more or less content?

I think it'd be cool if they did something like Guilty Gear Xrd, which will also be rendered completely in 3D on Unreal tech, but will be employing a number of camera and animation tricks to make the art virtually indistinguishable from the high-resolution sprites ArcSys is so known for. (

)

Holy shit, what kind of sorcery is happening with this kickstarter? They've just been blowing through stretch goals on this final day.

IT'S OVER!

They hit every. single. stretch goal. Even the ones added in the final hours.

Mighty No 9 is now the third most highly backed game on Kickstarter after Torment and Project Eternity.

I'm so glad they haven't done any tier specific in game perks of additions. Unlike shantae which litterally every other update is "pledge $50 and get this exclusive game play feature" it's starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Hyper light drifter tried this a week ago, giving everyone who pledged above $20 a exclusive golden gun, but quickly did a uturn saying it's not worth the effort make two different version of the game... But actually I'd imagine it because they got a torrent of hate mail

I'm pretty sure the game has a golden Beck with an exclusive transformation, because that's what I pledged for.

Uhg. Now I'm glad I didn't pledge. Fuck that, I don't want to support that.

Not that it matters, since it got a billion dollars.

Oh yeah "EXCLUSIVE IN-GAME GOLDEN HERO" that's not too bad as it's just a superficial pallet swap

But it also has an exclusive "transformation", a.k.a. power. And I don't see the big deal with having these incentives... It's the equivalent of having pre-order exclusives in a digital game or special edition content.

But true... it's disgusting... imagine giving people an incentive for people to pledge and make them feel special or that it's actually worth pledging instead of just waiting for the game, HOW AWFUL! These people cared more about the product than I did and are getting special treatment... THE INDIGNATION! I deserve to be treated as well as the hardcore fan even though I'm going to buy the game on sale or when it's on the Humble Bundle! I'M ENTITLED TO IT! :getmecoat

I'm expecting the exclusive transformation to be something pretty inessential, maybe like the "Model a" transformation from ZX Advent, kind of a bragging-rights award that turned you into an 8-bit classic megaman-style sprite of that game's main transformation, "Model A".

I'm going to side with it being super shitty to lock up game content behind exclusivity walls, but i don't think this will be a big deal.

Both of the ZX games had a bunch of superfluous end-game transformations that didn't really affect the game, and those were both Inti Creates games, and the games Mighty No 9 sounds the most like.

Who know, but in the Giana Sister's KS they only gave exclusive skins, one that was simply a Kickstarter backer shirt and people we FURIOUS for not getting them.

Frankly, I don't see why it's such a bad thing... It's like if a fan payed extra and went out of his way to get a book signed, but the less hardcore fan suddenly thinks his book should be signed too... at no additional cost. I don't care if it's an extra chapter exclusive for backers, what I'm hearing is "I'm not that big of a fan and don't care as much, but I want the same benefits!"

If you want the secret decoder ring, join the club, it's simple as that.

I don't think it's cool to have actual game content locked up in exclusives that will exclude people who come to the game after the fact from getting the full experience that the initial batch of players fell in love with.

Not everybody has money to spare or is even paying attention when it matters, not everybody is making a conscious choice to not care.

Whether that content will be meaningful or a glorified pallette swap can never really be gauged until after a game is released, but the developer behind it definitely always wants you to believe it's meaningful, because they want to incentivize you to buy the game. It puts you in the situation of having to assume the worst, that if you aren't in on that first wave, you are being excluded from something cool.

So since it's unfair for people who can't afford it, it shouldn't exist? That is just silly... Have you ever gone to a convention and bought a comic directly from the creator? Did you know you could pay extra to get an EXCLUSIVE signed comic with a small doodle of your choosing. But hey.... some people can't afford to go a con or pay for the special version, so I guess I don't to have my comic signed because of reasons...

Seriously, you guys sound ridiculously entitled. It's about as meaningful as getting a limited edition, heck, it's EXACTLY what you are getting. It's what limited editions are ALL about. You seriously can't say that a limited edition should not exist because it's unfair to people who can't afford it, that's just ludicrous. You might as well say that they shouldn't have any expensive pledges at all because people can't afford it. I can't afford the plushie pledge level and I'm not complaining.

Missing the chance to have something signed by its creator is not an appropriate comparison for a product having a piece of content omitted from its flow.

It all comes down to how you view this kind of exclusive content. To take the 'book' metaphor, where you are viewing this additional content as a signed copy, many people (me included) see the book as 'all' content created for a game and by not having this exclusive content we're missing a couple of pages.

You only get pages 68-69 of the new Harry Potter if you preorder from walmart at the super fan tier