tegan

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No.9

Having been the one that brought this to your attention, i am obviously super excited about seeing Keiji Inafune and a bunch of old hands from Capcom making a spiritual successor to the Megaman series. (Capcom's really been hemorrhaging an alarming amount of talent over the last few years.)

It's quite obvious that this is being fueled on the bad feelings for Capcom's treatment of that series, but it just shows how much the fans actually cared about that stuff. I hope this project goes well.

I'm excited!

And I love how many underhanded Mega Man references are in that video.

My favourite is the lady dressed like Roll with the dog dyed like Rush.

I've just backed it :) first thing I've every backed

It says you can get a digital copy of your choice IF they hit the console port stretch goal. I have no doubt in my mind they will, I wonder of they'll end up making like $4million

Geez, the moment the video starts its pans up a building where Inafune wears blue and puts on a blue cap? That's awesome! And so was the guy with obvious sticky taped "Metool" construction hat!

You know what? I don't care if this is just the first Mega Man "remade" in HD, I WANT IT! (And no, this wouldn't make me a hypocrite after picking on the Leisure Suit Larry remake, because that game was remade a thousand times!)

I wonder if it's called Mighty No. 9 because he refuses to acknowledge Mega Man 9 and 10? Or maybe I'm reading too much into things.

What's really making me curious is to see Capcom's reaction to this Kickstarter? Will they try to make a Mega Man if the Kickstarter succeeds? Should this upset us? Would anybody even buy a Mega Man game from Capcom after Xover?

You know what? I don't care if this is just the first Mega Man "remade" in HD, I WANT IT! (And no, this wouldn't make me a hypocrite after picking on the Leisure Suit Larry remake, because that game was remade a thousand times!)

The kickstarter makes it sound like they're carrying on with a lot of the things they were doing with the ZX games, particularly the stuff they did in Advent, so it's definitely not just a thinly veiled remake of the original.

And the original Megaman was remade, it was awesome. It had new bosses and new levels, you could even play as the bosses, and there was a level editor and online level sharing.

Well, I'm not a PC gamer (don't have a PC to game) so being given the option of what platform you want the game on is why I took the plunge, even though the console ports are a stretch goal I don't think they'll have a problem reaching it. Ideally I'd want on PS4/PS Vita which will make a lot more sense come April 2015, fingers crossed.

For example, if broken age offered the digital copy redeemable on iPad I would have been all over it, but they didn't, so I wasn't

I wonder if it's called Mighty No. 9 because he refuses to acknowledge Mega Man 9 and 10? Or maybe I'm reading too much into things.

That's what I thought at first as well, but it seems like Beck is the 9th generation robot of which the previous 8 turned evil and must be destroyed.   Plus, based on The Free Encyclopedia it looks like Inafune worked on Mega Man 9 and 10.  Interestingly he had to fight Capcom higher-ups in order to use the 8-bit style of both games as opposed to a modern 3D look.

Every story that comes out of Capcom these days makes it sound like it's a bitter, unending struggle with the higher-ups to get anything made. Doesn't seem like a great environment to work in, and certainly it's driven away many of the individuals that made Capcom a company worth caring about in the first place.

As for the numbering thing, it feels like it might just be another small nod to the original megaman. (Except the numbering is inverted, because Megaman/Rock was number 1 of Dr Light's bots, Roll was 2, and the six bosses of that game were 3 through 8. Protoman wasn't introduced until Megaman 3, but he was 0. No, not that Zero.)

Also, i love the names "Beck" and "Call", and now there won't be a messy localization to ruin the pun.

I'm sold. I just don't have money. Fortunately, it looks like it'll be backed well above its lofty goal.

Those character and enemy designs certainly seem... derivative. Putting aside the fact that I'd love to see this come to fruition, can he actually get away with it? I'm sure Capcom must be poring over this with a fine comb.

Those character and enemy designs certainly seem... derivative. Putting aside the fact that I'd love to see this come to fruition, can he actually get away with it? I'm sure Capcom must be poring over this with a fine comb.

I'm sure that in a way, this was designed to slip through that very specific comb. I can't wait to see it in action, as I'm sure the differences between it and Mega Man will only grow as you see more of the art and animation. As it is, we don't have a lot to go on outside of a blue guy with a gun on his arm. 

I'm a bit ambivalent about Mega Man (most of my attempts to get into the series involved going into 'the wrong level' and getting stomped by the boss) but I'm also ambivalent about this. Wasn't the whole idea of Comcept that they could finally pursue new ideas?

We (i) really need it to reach the $2,500,000: PS3/X360/WIIU CONSOLE VERSIONS stretch goal, or else someones going to be getting a free PC code from me in the games give away thread. I'm hoping it'll surpass it so i can get a Vita version. This has got Vita written all over it

We (i) really need it to reach the $2,500,000: PS3/X360/WIIU CONSOLE VERSIONS stretch goal, or else someones going to be getting a free PC code from me in the games give away thread. I'm hoping it'll surpass it so i can get a Vita version. This has got Vita written all over it

Ugh Vita version yessssss gahhhh.

Glad to see it funded so quickly, and it looks like the first stretch goal is pretty much a shoo in as well.  It was kind of crazy to read that two of the main bosses wouldn't be in the game if they only hit the base goal.  The two boss designs on the Kickstarter page look pretty awesome, and mad Mega Man.

I hope not, I freaking loved those games!

Inafune specifically pushed to make MM9 and 10 2D retro-style games. I'm pretty sure they were a labour of love on his part.