Sign in to follow this  
tegan

War is Adorable! Advance Wars Thread

lbkQUhz.jpg

So despite being very bad at it, I love Advance Wars. And I figure since strategy games seem to be big on here I'm probably not the only one. Unfortunately there hasn't been a new game in more than five years, though Intelligent Systems has sort of teased that they're making a 3DS entry. Personally, I've been playing a lot of the original lately. I started a third runthrough to unlock the last of the COs recently, and I'm stuck on "The Final Battle" with Grit and Kanbei. Any tips? I usually just spam mechs with Andy and try to overwhelm Sturm, but I haven't been able to make any headway whatsoever and can't find any help online (the guides are all written for more different teams).

I have a soft spot for Advanced Wars series due to the many hours I put into it's Dual Strike iteration & I remember being surprised how robust it was as a tactical game, but I've never given the original a whirl so sadly I can't give you any help regarding the final battle.

Side note: That image from the polycount VG remix competition is wonderful, and would love to play a modern tactics game with that sort of aesthetic.

Dual Strike was the first DS game I ever bought and I loved it very much despite being arse at it. I have Dark Conflict sitting on a shelf untouched having been bought super cheap in a buying frenzy last year just after I got my 3DS, is it a good one? 

Dual Strike was the first DS game I ever bought and I loved it very much despite being arse at it. I have Dark Conflict sitting on a shelf untouched having been bought super cheap in a buying frenzy last year just after I got my 3DS, is it a good one? 

Days of Ruin's/Dark Conflict's one core failing is an anti-tank unit that is hilariously broken and over-powered, and also, just in general, Advance Wars probably didn't need a grimdark reboot. Honestly though, that game's pretty alright, it really doesn't deserve as much flak as it gets. It actually tried to do some things that needed to happen, like redesigning some core systems to try and address the old stalemate problem, while also trying to strip out a lot of the fluff that got piled on with Dual Strike. (Which is, even though i love it, and even though it has sooooo much content, actually kind of a terrible game. It is the most broken and most problematic entry in the series.)

For my money, Advance Wars 2 was the best game in the series. (Also had the hardest campaign, that game is ruthless with the puzzle-like precision it requires.)

Honestly though, that game's pretty alright, it really doesn't deserve as much flak as it gets.

z52kgr9.png

I also only played Dual Strike and loved it. The silliness of it. I played through the whole thing again last year. Good stuff! Though I could never muster the strength to endlessly play skirmish maps to upgrade CO's like the black hole guys, that don't get any love in the snigleplayer campaign.

I played 2 and Days of Ruin, although I never finished Days of Ruin because the Advance Wars games always get boring when the attrition missions start. But I would love a new entry in the series.

I've completed 2 and dual strike but I bummed out on the latest one and rebought DS. Such good fun.

I always enjoyed the ridiculous personalities and superpowers and I think it was a great loss that they made the newest one so grim.

Oh man, my brother and I played the first Advanced Wars to death!  I think I have completed all of them, maybe not Two, which is weird because I think back to it being my favorite.  Honestly, Dual Strike was cool but the Dual CO's just didn't do it for me.  On the other hand I enjoyed Day's of Ruin and thought the story was pretty good, it might be one of the few endings to a game's narrative that I actually remember and felt satisfied with.  I would love to play a 3DS game if they kept the pixel art aesthetic over crummy polygonal models which seems to be the trend with 3DS games.

I don't think I ever got past that one mission with the missile silos and the satellite that you have a real-time hour to bring down. I liked the game a lot, though Tag CO Powers were ridiculously overpowered (the worst being Drake/Eagle, who have a sync rate of 115% just to make them even more overpowered).

I stopped in to Gamezilla today while I was on my walk. They have a new copy of Days of Ruin for $35. Hnnnnng.

Using Sasha to generate extra income, switching over to Colin so you could buy units cheap, and then back to Sasha so you could use them without any debuffs.
Or using Sensei to summon infantry to every controlled city, and then switching over to Sami for her massive infantry buffs.

Dual Strike is hilariously unbalanced.

Back on the topic of a 3DS sequel, i would really like to have some manner of play-by-mail. I want to be able to upload a turn to a central server for an opponent to later respond to. (I guess with some general time limit, so if an opponent abandons the game, it counts against them as a forfeit.)

You know, so you can have online matches without being held captive while waiting for your opponent to take their turn.

Sno, there is exactly that online somewhere. People have recreated the entirety of Advance Wars that you can play online a turn at a time, against another opponent. A friend of mine has been playing that for years. I'm sure it's easy to find if you look for it, don't know the name myself.

Sure, alright, but is it wrong to want Nintendo to do it for the real game? It's totally still something they should do.

I've always been sort of "on the fence" with regard to Advance Wars.

The art style and the fact that it is a strategy game really appeal to me, but then the fact that it sort of comes across as a a puzzle game as well... I really dislike when strategy games have a "Correct" way to win a level.

I've always been sort of "on the fence" with regard to Advance Wars.

The art style and the fact that it is a strategy game really appeal to me, but then the fact that it sort of comes across as a a puzzle game as well... I really dislike when strategy games have a "Correct" way to win a level.

For this reason, i've always felt Advance Wars works better as a multiplayer/skirmish game. (When it's balanced well, which it hasn't been for a couple games now.)

Passing a GBA back and forth on Friday afternoons in eighth grade music class playing multiplayer Advance Wars without Mr. Doiron noticing is a memory that will never ever fade for me.

(before anyone accuses me of anything, Mr. Doiron was a terrible teacher and on Fridays we watched a VHS tape of the first half of School of Rock every single week. I missed nothing)