Sign in to follow this  
thestalkinghead

That time Gabe Newell hacked my computer

It all started back in the day Gaben was still working at Microsoft. He made a backdoor in Windows so that later he could use it to spy on people playing Half Life 2

well as i said i know it's sounds crazy and i know i can't prove it, but lets just say you give me the benefit of the doubt, what do you think about a developer doing this (secretly observing players) as a research tool for making better games?

Nobody spies on you playing games. Would it be ethical for them to spy on you playing without your knowledge? Only as ethical as it would be for a neighbor to watch you playing through the window without your knowledge. How ethical is that? I don't know, but it's not a game-specific issue. It's exactly as ethical as your neighbor watching you watch a movie or cook dinner or clean your windows without your knowledge.

did you actually say anything there or just ask questions? i don't know, is this a question? am i actually saying anything or am i just doing exactly what you have just done? this isn't a pigeon-specific issue. it's exactly the same as lurking on a forum

well as i said i know it's sounds crazy and i know i can't prove it, but lets just say you give me the benefit of the doubt

Yyyyyeaaah, no, not going to happen in this case I don't think.

that would be like the xbox kinect tracking you facial expressions and heart rate while watching a film, Orwell would have never imagined technology could be like that 

Okay, this HAS to be a joke thread.

Wait a second...

did you actually say anything tHere or just ask questions? i don't know, is this a question? am i actuaLly saying anything or am i just doing exactly what you have just done? this isn't a pigeon-specific issue. it's exactly the same as lurking on a forum

well as i said i know it's sounds cRazy and i know i can't prove it, but lets just say you give me the benefit of the doubt, what do you think about a deveLoper doing this (secretly observing players) as a research tool for making better games?

Half-Life 3 is going to be a rogue-like. Confirmed. He HAS been watching you, and his intentions are more nefarious than ever!

well as i said i know it's sounds cRazy and i know i can'T prove it, but letS just say you give me the benefit of the doubt, what do you think about a developer doing this (secretly observing players) as a research tool for making better games?

Au contraire, mon frere.

well as i said i know it's sounds crazy and i know i can't prove it, but lets just say you give me the benefit of the doubt, what do you think about a developer doing this (secretly observing players) as a research tool for making better games?

Well, I think it's unlikely.

I've got no idea what I'm doing

That's interesting muerte because if you run your post through Babel Fish in this order English > Danish > Arabic > Dutch > English you get "GABE KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE DOING." Co-winkydink? I think not. 

Nobody spies on you playing games. Would it be ethical for them to spy on you playing without your knowledge? Only as ethical as it would be for a neighbor to watch you playing through the window without your knowledge. How ethical is that? I don't know, but it's not a game-specific issue. It's exactly as ethical as your neighbor watching you watch a movie or cook dinner or clean your windows without your knowledge.

I don't want to get drawn into this tin-foil hat discussion, but:

The difference is that you can close your blinds, curtains, etc. If Steam (or Kinect, or your smartphone, etc) wanted to spy on you without asking first, or the option to turn it off, that would *totally* be possible, and pretty unethical. Of course, people would figure it out eventually (security folks sniffing incoming/outgoing internet traffic) but it's likely that a majority of customers wouldn't care or do much about it.

Personally, I don't mind developers collecting analytics/metrics, but I want to be asked first and (ideally) I'd like to see the data being sent back in plain-text. 

well thanks for an actual sensible discussion on the subject SiN, and i agree.

one thing i have to say though, i am Gabe Newell, and i made HL3 years ago, i just didn't sell it or release it because i am already rich enough, plus people have been installing steam in anticipation of HL3 for years, while in the meantime buying game$

I can't hide my Half-Life: Origins anymore.

I'm Gabe Newell.