Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 121: (I Know You're Having Fun But) I'm Still Working

Yeah the production design in BTTF and Ghostbusters both are pretty fantastic. The weird "token-vehicle-centric '80s adventure comedy" subgenre.

I remember wishing that Ecto 1 and the DeLorean were unlockable vehicles for Test Drive on my Apple IIgs. They would be if that stuff was coming out today.

(Of course, BTTF probably couldn't come out today, because Marty isn't saving the world or the president or defeating an alien conspiracy or anything, he's just solving a personal problem.)

If you watch closely in the scenes at Docs lab in BTTF1 you will see a photograph of a clock with Marty and Doc next to it; the photo that was made in BTTF3. Only visible in the BluRay versions though.

It still blows my mind that they only made one Ecto 1, and that if anything had happened to it they would have had to stop production right there.

Especially great when you realize that it's like 20 feet long, handled like a tank, was driven around in New York traffic for publicity, and that by the time Ghostbusters 2 rolled around it was naturally sputtering and spitting smoke without the need for any special effects.

Yeah the production design in BTTF and Ghostbusters both are pretty fantastic. The weird "token-vehicle-centric '80s adventure comedy" subgenre.

Let's not forget the brilliance that was Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Let's not forget the brilliance that was Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Oof, that's stretching it a bit, seeing as it was a phone box and only technically a vehicle because it carried them through time.

How about The Blues Brothers, Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Batman? 

Oof, that's stretching it a bit, seeing as it was a phone box and only technically a vehicle because it carried them through time.

While that part is debatable I still think it holds up as one of the best time travel movies ever made. I mean, how many movies give you the opportunity to see Mozart going nuts in a mall piano store? Also, I think you could argue that in a certain sense it has a better representation of time travel than even Back To The Future did. For instance, any time something was about to go wrong it didn't because they just made sure that after their excellent adventure they went back and did the things they needed to do to make sure that their past selves could get through everything. Also, meeting their future selves early in the movie and then repeating the scene as their future selves later in the movie was one of my favorite movie scenes ever. That movie was most excellent.

No arguments on Pee Wee's Big Adventure though. That movie makes me want to buy bunny slippers and stuffed carrots that I leave on the floor next to my bed.

I don't know why I always feel this compelling need to promote Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. It's pretty pathetic I know.

I mean, how many movies give you the opportunity to see Mozart going nuts in a mall piano store?

I love that part.  The song that plays during that sequence (Play with Me by Extreme) became my favorite song for a while.  I was so stupidly happy when it appeared in Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s

I do love Excellent Adventure (and speaking of BTTF, it has a similar opening - their musical equipment blows up on them in a garage, then they realise they're late for school), but I love Bogus Journey even more.

Bogus journey is harder to love but I also liked it a lot. Finding out at the end that they gained their skills by travelling back in time to learn from the greats was an awesome twist.

i always see sequels as being part of the original film (i know that sounds obvious but, some people watch sequels as there own singular thing and don't count the original as part of it) so sequels of a good film always have an advantage, and sometimes a sequel can be so good it make the original just a back story like terminator 2, but sometimes the sequel can be so bad i decide they don't even count like predator 2 

but i love both bill and ted films, death is funny in bogus journey