Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 121: (I Know You're Having Fun But) I'm Still Working

The back half and cliffhanger of BTTF 2 is my favorite stuff in the trilogy (other than the entire first movie).

hey mcfly you bojo! Hover boards don't work on water. Unles you got POWer!

My favourite stuff in the trilogy

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, I'd kill to have a cyber tank top with a chicken noise pull cord.

Oh, for movie adaptations, I always liked The Last Crusade. It was early when Lucas Arts games were still not very formulaic, and so much of it's design was inspired by the film's trappings in a great way. Specifically The way the game rewards poring over small details and remembering them to advance spoke to the themes of the character/franchise. I also felt it adapts the beats of the film pretty well, even if it avoids the uh, emotional parts of the story...

I always wished for more Indiana Jones adventure games. I guess that's pretty unlikely now with that stuff being at Disney. I'll never get my Telltale Indy and Short Round game or Indy and Sallah game. :<

The back half and cliffhanger of BTTF 2 is my favorite stuff in the trilogy (other than the entire first movie).

It is so goddamn crazy. Sad that Zemekis abandoned film for zombie CGI for quite a while there.

In the game thread I posted thoughts on PvZ going free to play: http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/8817-plants-vs-zombies-2-its-about-time/page-2

I think I groaned the loudest of anyone when I heard that PvZ was going to free to play.  But if the game is fucking over anyone, it's the people who pay money and suck the difficulty ramp out of it. This is one of the only f2p games I don't hate, one of the only exceptions to the free to play trend.

This fits with my partner's experience with Plants vs. Zombies 2, I must admit - she's up to the last level and has received enough keys to unlock everything without grinding or spending money. (She has looked up YouTube videos for sweet tips/tricks on a couple of particularly difficult levels, however.) It'll be interesting to hear, Jake, if you ever hit that gross point of feeling the game pushing you toward the in-app purchases.

The way the 2nd film ends is so good.

Through the weirdness of childhood I don't think I've ever seen 2 start to finish in a single sitting, but 3 was rented like 8 times. 2 was also completely weird, and seemed probably much darker than it actually was to my tiny brain.

2 was always my favorite as a kid because I liked future stuff. Looking back it isn't as tight and consistent as 1, but it's still pretty inspired.

Biff is such a great movie bad guy, they should use him as the big bad in The Expendables 17 (or whatever number they're up to now)(I know it is actually 4)

In fact Biff was so good he could spawn his own movie franchise, like Freddy vs Jason, Biff can face off against other classic movie bad guys.

Biff vs The Predator

Biff vs Principal Richard Vernon

Biff vs Jafar

Biff vs the stay puft marshmallow man

Biff vs Fucking Zultar! (the arcade machine wizard from Big) (was he/it a bad guy? Um not really, this could be a spin off movie!)

Biff Vs. In-App Purchases! The second BTTF was always my favourite, because of the future stuff, but I have a bad habit of misremembering the first film in a trilogy (Stars Wars for example had the destruction of the Death Star as Act 1 of Empire Strikes Back in my head, making it even better). The first BTTF is so much better than I remembered it.

Great episode. I wasn't really sure how to feel as an Irishman, that the ruler (or half-ruler, Spartan king if you will) of Ireland, Chris Remo, was awarded an English lordship, given the troubled history between our two isles. I think I can only really see it as a compliment from the English, who in your new timeline aren't doing so hot and clearly now admire how you rule from behind the Joffery-based scenes. Newfound friendship is always a great thing :)

I'm just so happy to see people share Limmy's Show, such great comedy.

I also just really enjoy watching the end of II and seeing the trailer for III every time.

The fucking Western Union guy in the rain is so crazy good. What a good, specific thing to have in that movie.

BTTF 1 is my favorite overall, but I agree that the end of 2 is the best thing.  "There's only one man who can help me".  So good.

I asked this question in the PvZ2 thread, but recieved no response so I'll ask again here.  Isn't there a way in iOS to turn off in-app purchases?  Would that remove the F2P stuff all together or just hide it beind a PIN?  I'd test it myself but I lack an iDevice.

I still fully expect that in two years we'll have flying cars, hoverboards, jackets that automatically re-size and dry themselves, shoes that tie themselves, hydrators, giant shark holograms, cars that use trash as fuel, masks that remove years of aging, sunglasses made of pure aluminum and no glass that we can still somehow see through, devices that carry us around upside down when we're old, and that the fax machine will have made a comeback.

If Moore's Law has taught me anything it is that a lot can happen in two years.

Edit: Oh yeah, and 80's cafe's where Michael Jackson is your waiter. This is one I actually do expect.

But no cyber tank tops with pull cord chicken noise? God damnit

Data_plays_chicken_recording.jpg

Oh, my bad its actually a button, it would be better if it was a "there's a snake in my boot" style pull cord though

Is anyone with me on this? :)

Biff is such a great movie bad guy, they should use him as the big bad in The Expendables 17 (or whatever number they're up to now)(I know it is actually 4)

In fact Biff was so good he could spawn his own movie franchise, like Freddy vs Jason, Biff can face off against other classic movie bad guys.

Biff vs The Predator

Biff vs Principal Richard Vernon

Biff vs Jafar

Biff vs the stay puft marshmallow man

Biff vs Fucking Zultar! (the arcade machine wizard from Big) (was he/it a bad guy? Um not really, this could be a spin off movie!)

Biff vs. Shooter McGavin

I still fully expect that in two years we'll have flying cars, hoverboards, jackets that automatically re-size and dry themselves, shoes that tie themselves, hydrators, giant shark holograms, cars that use trash as fuel, masks that remove years of aging, sunglasses made of pure aluminum and no glass that we can still somehow see through, devices that carry us around upside down when we're old, and that the fax machine will have made a comeback.

If Moore's Law has taught me anything it is that a lot can happen in two years.

Edit: Oh yeah, and 80's cafe's where Michael Jackson is your waiter. This is one I actually do expect.

Find some kid* whose only played Kinect games and show them your skills at Wild Gunman.

*or just find Elijah Wood

Find some kid* whose only played Kinect games and show them your skills at Wild Gunman.

*or just find Elijah Wood

Oh my god! Brilliant! I can't believe I forgot about that.

Totally agreed. It's only because the first half is so weak and cartoony that I prefer BTTF3 - it's a much more solid film. I don't appreciate the ending of 2 as much as you guys so much either - it feels a little tacked on just as set-up for the next movie. But the back half is brilliantly inventive and tightly done - the only other thing I've seen do the same thing is that Trials And Tribble-ations episode of Star Trek where the DS9 crew go back and interact with the TOS Tribble episode.

I want the dual tie fad to catch on

Mockfry.jpg

The Back to the Future series is so great with ties. I'll never forget watching one of the movies with my cousins, and one of my cousins laughed and said something like "I never noticed he was wearing a transparent tie:"

Christopher-Lloyd-signed-Doc-Brown-Futur

It's the little hilarious details like that which set movies like this and Ghostbusters apart. They're goofy sci-fi comedies that are full of cheap gags, but there's also some genuinely good/funny/intriguing design in there. Serious work went in to every aspect of the films, and the sheer physicality and believability of the Delorean time machine or the proton packs help sell the film just as much as any individual joke does. Doc Brown's transparent tie - one more subtle, wacky thing to highlight how strange he is, and one more joke in a movie that could've coasted on '50s references and obvious time travel humor.