Niyeaux

Earth Defense Force 2025

I just got an email this morning from D3 Publisher, saying that the North American localization of Earth Defense Force 2025 is going to be playable at PAX Prime this weekend. YESSSSSS.

For those who don't know, this game is the direct sequel to Earth Defense Force 2017, which is in my opinion one of the most enjoyable games of the current console generation. The Japanese version of 2025 was released in July, but the North American version is taking its sweet time. Current prediction is for a February 2014 release.

Nonetheless, I am stoked to play it at PAX, and stoked to buy it when it finally reaches our shores. This is the proper sequel to EDF2017, developed by the original Japanese developer Sandlot, who didn't actually do that crappy offshoot title EDF Insect Armageddon.

Here. Watch these trailers and revel in their excellence:

I rather like Insect Armageddon, i think Vicious Cycle did an alright job with that game. (In fact, it seems as if Sandlot is taking a few cues from it for 2025.)

Regardless, i absolutely adore 2017, i can't wait to play 2025.

I don't know what's next for Sandlot after this, but i feel like RAD is long overdue a sequel. :P

You're the first person I've ever heard say they like Insect Armageddon. I thought it was pretty universally considered a way crappier game than 2017.

I played through it with friends and we all really liked it.

*shrug*

Sandlot's such a cult favorite that Vicious Cycle never really stood a chance of winning anybody over, but for my part, i think they made an alright game.

Yeah, I'd say it is decent.

It doesn't really beat 2017 in anything but pure looks, but it's fine enough.

At least as long as you play with a buddy. Preferably your first and best buddy.

Edit: I am referencing Insect Armageddon of course.

Still on EDF:IA, the remixed missions that open up once you beat the game the first time are by far the more enjoyable half of the game.

I just need to know if they have hundreds of odd and pointless weapons to collect. I loved that part.

It was all about that hilariously slow homing missile that ended up killing you and your teammate more often than not.

You're the first person I've ever heard say they like Insect Armageddon. I thought it was pretty universally considered a way crappier game than 2017.

Count me as another. That game was meh single player, but ploughing through the campaign with other Thumbs was a great time. Would play again.

Count me as another. That game was meh single player, but ploughing through the campaign with other Thumbs was a great time. Would play again.

We should play again—it was a huge amount of ridiculous fun.  :yep:

Oh wait wait is this the weird giant bug shooting game?

Yes.

I am curious though, have any of you guys played Robot Alchemic Drive? It's one of Sandlot's earlier games, and it's pretty much the best game ever:

Each analog stick controlled one of the arms, inputs kind of intuitively correlating to different available attacks. There were a lot of special moves too. I mean, of course there's a rocket punch.

Oh yeah, and you're a dude running around the battlefield controlling your robot with a remote. You're constantly repositioning yourself so that you're close enough to have a good view, but not getting so close that you end up squished by a monster you send flying through a skyscraper.

Oh wait wait is this the weird giant bug shooting game?

You'd enjoy co-op Insect Armageddon I think, 'blix. HINT HINT.

Didn't we co-op that? Wasn't that the one we co-oped?

...possibly? It's so long since that my addled brain can't remember any other Thumbs who might have turned up beyond Miffy and myself.  :getmecoat

So... apologies. But I love you dearly, you know that. (Also you, me and the Miff should get on this again!)

Does the 360 version of Insect Armageddon have online co-op? That's one thing that 2017 didn't have that I wish it did.

Yeah, EDF:IA had online co-op on the 360.

2025 is supposed to have online co-op too, isn't it?

2025 is supposed to have online co-op too, isn't it?

yeah i believe so, can't wait! oh shit, i'm going to have to buy xbox live gold again...

No i don't its coming to PS3 \o/

Yeah, 2025 definitely has online stuff. Not to mention a fairly ridiculous amount of new features, like different player classes and stuff. I'm stooooked.

I'm gonna play it TOMORROW, and probably write about it ASAP, so expect a preview of sorts from me within the next few days.

Insect Armageddon didn't really grasp what made the original game magical, but I don't think it's fair to say that it offers nothing other than shinier graphics. It's also got up-to-four-player online coop, other player classes with some fun special abilities like jetpacks and turrets, and some cool weapon types that aren't in EDF2017...and perhaps most importantly, as far as I'm concerned, a PC version. Granted, it probably got some of those elements from EDF 2, but still. EDF 2 is a PS2 entry in the series only released in Japan and in a slightly butchered European version dubbed Global Defence Force, which has a jetpack lady with an energy weapon suite as the other player class, and if you like 2017, you will fucking adore EDF 2.

I suspect 2025 will probably be an update of EDF 2, as my understanding is that 2017 was an update of EDF1, also for PS2. I hope it's released for PC but I'm not holding my breath.